KEF LS50 Wireless or LS50 + New Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jp2000, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rudym457

rudym457 Well-Known Member

i compared the LS50 wireless to passive version driven by the Devailet 200 integrated and the wireless version was superior. $9000 cheaper too. i have the Audioengine HD6 but the LS50W is slightly better. i am running a NAD D1050 into the HD6 and not using the internal DAC

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Just heard the wireless at AXPONA. Get them.

3. sanvara

sanvara Member

It must depend on the tube amp. I've seen people say they don't like the sound of a tube amp with the LS50. I'm trying the LS50 with the SS $400 Emotiva A-300 (150w/channel) right now with a 10" sub and they sound really, really good and three dimensional.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

They seem to be getting some good attention at Axpona as you are not the first I've seen say this....

Manimal and Ivand like this.
  5. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

They were pretty impressive even with the less than optimal large room which made them sound pretty stressed. what ever the decision, you're getting a great speaker. Given they are completely different in their application, the choice should be a little easier given the both can sound great.

GoldprintAudio and Ivand like this.
  6. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Always best to find out yourself. (Have had a few disappointments hearing well-reviewed and consensusly-loved things in person...)

7. Old Listener

Old Listener Forum Resident

Do you always label things you don't understand "stupid"? These speakers may not be for you but they may be a good choice for other people.

DSP based crossovers are appearing in new pro audio monitor designs (which have analog inputs.) Genelec, Dynaudio and JBL for example.

Inconvenient? How about getting rid of most or all of the traditional rack of components? Sounds good to me. Long time audiophiles may sit and admire their stack of components but the rest of the world doesn't want to devote space to a stack of audio gear.

8. Old Listener

Thanks for that very useful comparison. It allows me to calibrate my expectations for a change I want to make.

I have used HD6s in my home office for about 5 months with success. I tried them in my main system and liked the sound there too. I planned to buy new active monitors for my main system. Some $ 1500 to $ 2500 alternatives I'm considering: Genelec M040, Dynaudio LYD 7 or maybe LYD 48, JBL 705P. Your post suggests that I should be realistic about what I'd get for an extra $ 1000+ over the cost of anothe rpair of HD6s.

9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Positive Feedback was very "positive" about the wireless LS50.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm another who sat through a very informative demo at AXPONA. I agree with @avanti1960, get them.

If the OP is still reading this thread. If you're serious about the Kefs, sell the Brio and spend the money towards the LS50-W.

Manimal likes this.
  11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I can't speak for the Wireless LS50's but my not-so-inexpensive analog rig (3k table, 1k cart, 2k phono stage, and let's not even get into cost of "software,") goes into an Anthem pre/pro that takes everything in and converts it to 24/192 for digital room correction (ARC).

I've been "all analog" before. I am now ADA. I won't go back. You'll have to pry that Anthem out of my cold, dead hands at this point. This Anthem replaced another Anthem AVR, and is just a few steps up in terms of fidelity and realism. But, all that notwithstanding, you will NOT get "digital-sounding" analog (even 2000 miles away from the comfort of my living room I just saw several posters furl their brows, I felt their heart rate increase, and the hairs on the back of their neck just stood at attention), at least not with the decent, but far from top of the line DAC's I've had in this role. It's not something I'm technically qualified nor enough of a wordsmith to understand, but I am not going back to "all analog" at this point. Feed a very good analog source into a very good 24/192 DAC and reap the best of both worlds.

Just my $.02 - probably only worth $.01 :)

patrickd, wgb113 and pdxway like this.
  12. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

A lot of people sit around listening to their phones playing dubstep…doesn't make it a good thing.

13. toddrhodes

It is good for them, most likely. And it's not for you to judge either way, unless somehow this practice harms you in some way?

14. Funky54

Yeah that was kinda Point when I and others were judged for not liking wireless and preferring a stack of gear.

Gumboo likes this.
  15. Old Listener

What does listening to dubstep have to do with whether you want a rack of components in your room?

Phones? Do you mean smartphones? Or headphones? Either way, I don't see the connection to what I wrote.

Products like the KEF LS50W allow you to eliminate amps and in in some cases preamps.

The Positive Feedback review said

"Further more, there's this: active? Check. USB? Check. Sub out? Check. AUX (RCA) in? Check. WiFi? Check. Bluetooth? Check. iOS and Android app? Check.

Did I mention this LS50 ain't Gramps' ol' loudspeaker."

Traditional audiophiles may not see the point but newer, younger listeners will. With the LS50W, KEF is looking forward rather than looking back.

wgb113 and Manimal like this.
  16. toddrhodes

Nothing good will come of this. I'll pleasantly agree to disagree, question the relevance of your analogy, and move on.

Frankly, I heard "wireless LS50" from the AXPONA thread and thought... "Why?!?" and now I understand. "Wireless" is a bit of a misnomer, I suppose, but I'm not sure why we wouldn't celebrate a manufacturer who is trying to make the hobby more accessible.

I understand you're upset that some really great brands were taken out of your store. I sold "hifi" in the late 90's when the rage was HDTV and home theater. Times change. There's an enormous supply of vintage and used gear out there. Stick with what you love and listen happily.

17. rudym457

rudym457 Well-Known Member

i am not sure that at $2300 the LS-50 are 100% better than the Audioengine HD6 + NAD D1050 DAC=$1300?

18. Funky54

I was using a touch of sarcasm to convey that I don't like the sound of active speakers in general. You stated an opinion.. I stated an opinion. We dont have to agree.

19. Funky54

I agree that we can agree to disagree. We are sharing opinions, nothing more. Your entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine.

The purpose of the thread was for someone to hear differing opinions and choose for themselves. I offered mine.

You guys used sarcasm to make fun of audio gear, I used sarcasm to make fun of the new tech and what I think of it.

20. toddrhodes

My response to you was my first post in the thread. Not sure where "you guys" comes into this.

YOU PEOPLE?!?!

Sorry, had to :)

21. Old Listener

You could have expressed your opinion directly and effectively without an irrelevant insult.

This thread allows people to share information about the LS30W and about active speakers in general. You have stated your negative opinion about active speakers in general. Do you have anything positive to contribute to the thread?

Bananas&blow likes this.
  22. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I received my pair of LS50 Wireless speakers yesterday and after running them in for a few hours did some critical listening. In my opinion they are quite a bit better than the passive LS50 and the Audioengine HD6. ( I own a pair of both of those as well)

The passive LS50 does most everything very well, but the one thing that I didn't like was that there was a very subtle sweetness to the sound of everything I listened to through them. This was heard with several different amplifiers including tubes and SS. It is an appealing coloration, for sure, but after a while it began to bother me that there was a slight sameness to all the music I listened to. Again, this was a very subtle thing, but that's how I heard it. I did keep them and use them in my home theater, where they work great.

The Wireless LS50 has all the strengths of the passive LS50 but eliminates that one minor quibble I had with the originals. Imaging and soundstaging are both excellent and they have great balance across the frequency range. They have great bass punch and definition and the vocals are very realistic on good recordings. I find that the tweeter is clean and clear allowing me to hear each layer of the music without having to strain to focus on them. I have them in a small room on stands about 16 inches from the wall behind them. Once I got them setup for those conditions using the app, they sound amazing.

I also have the Audioengine HD6 and while I do think they are also very enjoyable, I don't believe the treble is close to being as refined and detailed as the LS50s of either variety. Again, I think they are very good, especially for the price, but I don't think they are on the same level as the LS50s are.

All my opinions of course, but hopefully it's helpful information for the OP. Good Luck!

Shel, Afikoman, amgradmd and 3 others like this.
  23. Funky54

Yes, I am positive that I prefer the sound of passive speakers. I took some offense to the the "siting around listening to rack of gear" or whatever it was. It was in my opinion snarky, I replied in kind. You are right though, our banter isn't adding anything. I should have taken the minor insult and shrugged it off. At the end of the day you should invest in what works best for you and how you live.

As much as I am frustrated with the sound of some of these solutions I can from a positive point of view say I think the little 1800 series B&O speakers look amazing. They sound nice for their footprint.

I have a pair of more budget conscious Kefs (Q100'2) in my master bedroom. They sound decent for what they are. They are voiced in the British kef style. I have never heard the active LS30W speakers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  24. Old Listener

Certainly helpful to me. Thanks.

TeflonScoundrel likes this.
  25. Old Listener

rudym457 and TeflonScoundrel, you have shared your experience with the HD6 and KEF LS50W. I'll ask for a bit more of your opinions.

The room where I would place the LS50W speakers is about 22' by 15' by 9'. Lots of books on shelves and a Persian rug and pad on the floor. I don't listen at very high volumes (80 dB average level is on the loud end for me. Well recorded classical music is the majority of what I listen to. In a brief trial, my HD6s seemed to do pretty well in producing the volume I wanted and in producing an appropriate soundstage. Do you think that the LS50W would be a good choice for that room with myperferences in music and sound level?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.