KEF Reference 1 Monitors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mds, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

A brand new tube amplifier can have a bad tube right out of the box, or failure within a few months, tubes can be finicky. That happened with my amplifier when I bought it new so many years ago. The store recommended I switch the left channel tubes with the right channel. I did and found the noise moved to the other channel. I went to the dealer and he handed me one channels set of new tubes and this cleared up my issue. Not sure if you tried this yet or not but if not hopefully you may find the issue doesn't require packing up the amp and sending it on a trip. If your amplifier is indeed acting up and you are not sure what it is, then using it with your new speakers could put them in danger. I agree with Timid on this issue. Another amplifier will still be able to test the KEF's to assure they are functioning properly and listening through a damaged amplifier is going to not allow the KEF's to sound their best and might even make them sound damaged also, how would you know if it is the amplifier or the speakers?

2. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

For sure, totally fair. Out of the gate I thought I had issues with my tubes to the point where the store ordered more just in case. Turned out it was something with the fuse causing one of the tubes to not function correctly (apologies, my memory is a little faint on this as it was over the Christmas holidays), so I do have a spare new tube on my shelf for whenever that needs to be used. To clarify, my speakers are dead silent, but the transformer hum (when it occurs) is fairly obvious. I had the Cronus on mute last night and it was still making the loud sound regardless of what channel the amp was on or if any music was playing. And yeah, both of you are right, I certainly don't want to damage the new speakers in any way so will keep that in mind and insist upon replacement amp if I send it in. Also, because the REF 1's are special order, the store (different one than the one I regularly use, sadly. It's a larger chain here) will only offer exchanges, not outright refunds. Fingers crossed no drama.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  3. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Just as a minor update-got the Musical Fidelity M3SI as loaner amp to test out while store figures out what's up with my amp. Just listening to LA Woman-The Doors (2LP 45RPM). Interesting to compare the sound to the tubed Magnum II; will give more detailed thoughts later, but sounds pretty good. If they need to send the Cronus in to Rogue, they will, and possibly replace/upgrade my amp. Very happy with customer service at this store.

Other place told me the REF 1's are en route and should be in early next week. Not long now!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  4. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Speakers will be here Thursday!

Just spitballing here but curious if anyone has thoughts on my following query. While my current setup is much cleanlier and makes more sense logistically (minus room size) in the office, the room adjacent to it is quite a bit larger as it includes my living room and kitchen. The downside being it is all hardwood. However, sitting on the couch probably gives me about 8-9 feet to the other wall, where speakers could be on stands, etc. Do you think this would be innately the superior setup to a carpeted office with acoustical treatment (I would have to use longer speaker wire and run it into the office, etc.)?

Thanks for any input, folks. Much appreciated.

5. mds

Luckily the speakers are not monster heavy nor monster big and could easily be set up in both rooms letting your ears be the final and true test. The positive is the speakers will work well in both smaller and larger rooms if given the space they need.

What I do not understand is why if an area rug gives better sound this could not be incorporated and why an attractive acoustical panel with maybe a nice graphic could not be placed on the wall directly behind the listening position. These two small additions I believe would make the larger room the preferred room for the speakers. Being 8-9 feet from the speakers is an ideal listening distance. Having more air around the speakers by placing them on stands also will allow them to create a nicer sound stage particularly if they can be moved a little further away from the front wall. If all or most of these modifications could be met them you are moving into the ideal set-up. A small square room with the speakers on a desk pushed up against a wall with a PC monitor between them is far from ideal in my opinion for any speaker other than near field mini monitors where your interest is in direct sound to your ears and not room filling sound.

All this is dependant on your ultimate goal, what your wife (I assume may have an opinion if you are married) and what modifications to the rooms you are willing to make to achieve as much of your goal as possible. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress with figuring out which room and how you ultimately configure the set up.

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Oh and btw never a good idea to open up a tube amp.

Conezays likes this.
  7. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Thank you for the response. With regards to the larger room, it is the de facto TV room currently, speakers would essentially be adjacent to the HDTV (and would still involve moving the drawers/shelf that the TV is on which then would subsequently block entrance door to my balcony (not the end of the world, mind you-I care more about listening to music :p).

Do you think a single area rug is enough to mitigate sound issues from the hardwood? The room itself is quite large as I mentioned, but it has corners all over the place, different ceiling heights in places, etc. If one area rug and some acoustic panels/bass traps mitigates those issues and makes it far superior, then I would certainly consider it.

Currently, I just have the speakers on the desk in the office on isolation pads. When I initially demoed the LS50's in the living room last November (on stands) I thought they sounded horrible for what it's worth. Granted, I didn't spend TOO much time troubleshooting, but I certainly gave it a few days and wasn't very happy. When I moved them into the office I thought they sounded noticeably better.

She's still a girlfriend at this point but certainly a keeper. I think she's of the opinion that whatever shuts me up about the speakers is the best option. :p

8. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Thanks! They fixed the balancing issue at the store but still waiting to hear back from Rogue regarding how to proceed with the noisy transformer.

I have to say after a few days, pretty unimpressed with the Phono on the M3SI. It makes some of my previously incredible sounding records sound *really* harsh and just unpleasant. Still, it should work fine to confirm the REF 1's are functioning if I do need to send in the Cronus (really hoping I don't have to as it will be hard to have an informed judgment about the REF 1's without it in my setup).

9. mds

Certainly I would not run out and buy a lot of items until you try the speakers in the rooms. If you determine that the larger room has the better potential certainly start with an area rug and a panel behind your listening position. Continue to add as you see fit but I would think that those two additions would make a large improvement. All the non-parallel surfaces you describe, particularly the high sloped ceiling all are great features. When listening if you drape a small rug over your tv that should certainly help with reflections off of it. If you can wool rugs work better than synthetic. Also add padding under the rug on the floor. Definitely put those KEFs on stands in the larger room.

Sounds like the smaller speaker was overwhelmed by how large the room is. I do not believe the Reference 1s will be but not having seen the room I cannot be certain. Trial and Error the best way to go about it using your own ears.

10. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Thank you, MDS. You've been a great help throughout this process so I really appreciate it. Will certainly post impressions of the speakers once I get them and go from there regarding readjusting the configuration.

Cheers.

11. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Well, they're here!

For reference, I haven't been impressed with the M3sI phono at all with the KEF LS5o's. However, looks like we're just going to get a new transformer for the Cronus and that'll be installed within a week. In the interim...

WOW! Even without messing around much with placement and just plugging these in out of the box...WOW! That's about all I can muster at the moment. Grinning ear to ear listening to Johnny Adams-From the Heart on vinyl. I'll try to be more articulate with my impressions later on! :p

Thanks for all the help (and enabling this purchase), folks! Much appreciated.

jonwoody and mds like this.
  12. mds

Congratulations, enjoy. I'll be curious where they end up, which room. They are beautiful to look at also, not just to listen to.

13. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Absolutely. My friend at the store has been trying to convince me of Magico stuff. He might be right, but aesthetically, these things are absolutely stunning. Listening to the Classic Records release of Houses of the Holy now which arrived today. Flawless. Cannot wait till I can actually listen to these through a nice tube amp! :D

To confirm, these are using the long ports by default, correct? I read through the booklet a bit and that seems to be right. I have the two extra foam plugs that were included in the box which I assume are the "short" ones.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Being super OCD here, but curious what thoughts are on the finish/any imperfections whatsoever in yours? Noticed a couple super small spots where I am unsure if it's a scuff or just inherent to imperfections of rosewood/the glossy finish, etc. I'm likely just being anal, but of course want to be 100 % happy with the purchase. Googled and saw photos of another owner's with what I'm seeing to a more serious degree, so eh. I assume it's all good.

Sent a photo to KEF to bug them and see what they think :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  15. mds

I have the rosewood finish on my Ref 3s, which are a lot larger than the 1s and have absolutely no flaws anywhere. Gorgeous grain/color, very even through out and a wonderfully thick lacquer finish which gives a glass like look. For the price of the Ref 1s I would expect a perfect finish. If that white streak is not just a reflection then I would say it was damaged and either a new pair be sent to replace these (since the speaker drivers are matched) or a refund of some money. It will affect resale value if that is important to you. Again I do not know how much of that streak is reflection or is actually a white line. Certainly nothing even approaches white on my speakers. My Ref 1s have the black finish and that is perfect also.

Concerning the comment on Magico, which are wonderful sounding and looking speakers also. There is always another speaker that will be as good or even better than whatever speaker you currently own, but none in my opinion will beat the look of this rosewood finish. There are others that will be as nice but none nicer. This is an elegant looking speaker. It has an extremely detailed and neutral sound, which components will have an affect on, so yes I agree the Rogue when back in the chain will make a wonderful improvement to the sound. At this point you can with clear conscious start working on improving your other components because this speaker is up to the challenge and will not disappoint. I have found that tube equipment really brings out the best in its sound and ability to create a very three dimensional sound stage. Tubes are known for creating wonderfully deep sound stages and this speaker will work with that, as long as they have the breathing room, away from room boundaries.

Conezays and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Agree the finish should be perfect. My Foundry White cabinets are flawless. I would contact the retailer.

Congrats again on these amazing speakers.

Conezays likes this.
  17. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Thank you for the replies. I have contacted KEF and will contact retailer later on. This appears to be incredibly minor blemish(es) but it did stick out to me to some extent and not present on the other speaker.

Another photo-it's easier to identify in person. The top portion is just a window reflection. Purely referring to the two circled spots adjacent to the silver.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  18. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

KEF is basically saying it's natural and not to worry about it.

Hmm.

19. mds

This photo does not look as bad as the other one since it appeared you we referring to the white streak or at least it appeared that way to me. Based on photos over the internet, posted to a forum page I will beg giving a response on how bad or not bad they are. You need to be the one happy.

Conezays likes this.
  20. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Thanks. Yes, it certainly is definitely very minor and nitpicky, just want to make sure everything is as it should be, etc.

I can confirm that it at least sounds like a million bucks (the most important part) :)

21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

You need better quality close up pics. It's very hard to see anything on the ones you posted.

22. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Out for the rest of the day. Tried my best to give an accurate idea (only have an iPhone 6).

One of their reps is scheduled to take a look at them at some point just to confirm everything's fine, so A+ customer service on their end.

bever70 likes this.
  23. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

That is reaction of varnish on high temperature. It will grow slowly . :mad:
    What you see now is air.

24. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

That sounds quite worrisome. Are you able to expand upon this?

The KEF rep is coming by tomorrow so I can certainly mention this.

25. Conezays

Conezays Forum Resident

Spoke to friend who does carpentry. Based on what I told him and looking at photos, he seemed to think it was more likely a wood filler issue, but possibly air bubbles (which could expand over time). Either way, he agreed with idea of exchanging if possible given the cost of the speakers.

Will update after meeting. Never a dull moment with high-end audio gear, lol.