Keith Jarrett Sun Bear Concerts - Piano Solo Limited Edition Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaK, Jan 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

His last solo ECM release on vinyl is Munich 2016. Budapest 2016 was supposed to come out on LP, but I don't know if it actually has or not.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I stand corrected. I had no idea until now that was released on vinyl. :cheers:

3. I have the Sun Bear cassette box set which is a nice little compromise, still analog with no pops etc

rainbow dome likes this.
  4. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I’m normally not a format snob. I enjoy analog and digital equally. However, the Sun Bear Concerts is a case where I greatly prefer the analog version I have. I have German pressings of both the LP and CD box, and I find the CDs hard to listen to- very brittle and irritating and unrealistic. However, the original German LP set is probably one of my favorite solo piano recordings I’ve ever heard. Very rich and realistic. I don’t know if other digital versions may be better, but I really kinda hate the German CDs I have. And I normally love ECM CDs.

I don’t know how this new version will compare, but I’d recommend anyone who loves the Sun Bear Concerts to seek out a good analog version.

Fitter Stoke and Trane like this.
  5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Funny, as ECM had a good reputation in QC to produce vinyl in great condition by the 1990s.

6. DaK

DaK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Keith Jarrett - Sun Bear Concerts

I think this link will update once it will be available in the US.

7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Thanks, but that link just opens the Spotify page for the recordings. I don't use Spotify in any case, and am looking for the vinyl. I'll just have to keep an eye out for a U.S. release. I'm not even sure I want to spend the money for it. I can listen to the CD quality version on Qobuz.

8. DaK

Ok so maybe it does not work for the US. For me there’s a link to jpc.de (currently sold out) and a tool to find local record stores that sell it.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

I'll keep my eyes out for an opportunity to purchase in U.S. but I still might not want to spend the money. I'm listening to the 16/44 stream fromQobuz/Roon on my main system and it sounds pretty good. The vinyl will sound better, but I'll have to see what my poor wallet thinks about that when the time comes. :)

I really like Tokyo.

quicksrt and DaK like this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

This is up for preorder now in the U.S. on Amazon, Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, Music Direct…
    $299.00, releases on March 19

At $30 a disc I hope they do it worthy of the price. I have an order on Amazon since they have the easiest returns.

ermylaw and DaK like this.
  11. Josquin des Prez

12. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Available on Deep Discount & Popmarket for pre-order for $250-260.

Deep Discount has a 15% off code (MARDIGRAS), which helps offset taxes and shipping.

13. Josquin des Prez

Thank you. I just ordered on DD for $250. I haven't done business with them in many years. I used to buy DVDs there on a regular basis.

markmck79 likes this.
  14. Josquin des Prez

How well does DeepDiscount package things like these for shipping? On a set like this I really don't want to get something with bashed corners/bent covers.

15. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Pre-order items like these are typically drop shipped from the distributor, so the packaging is at about the Amazon level, a step below the Acoustic Sounds/Music Direct level.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

OK. Thank you for the help.

markmck79 likes this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I found the sound really good on an early CD set from Germany. And the ambience there is a part of the concert being a live album. A dry sounding mix might not be as expected. Anyway, I trust ECM and piano recordings and K. Jarrett releases.

18. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

I used to have the original 10 Lp set.

I really like this set his playing is very adventurous.

Grab this or get a 6 CD set worth a listen.

19. filorus

filorus Active Member

Hi,
    I bought the original 10-LP set (German print) on Discogs 2 months ago around half the price of the current new release and it sounds great without any scratches.
    Did anyone listen to the high res versions on sale on highresaudio (DSD64 format) and how this would compare to the LP / Cd versions? Thanks

DaK likes this.
  20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I have the limited edition SACD set (Keith Jarrett – Sun Bear Concerts (2017, SACD) ) from which, I imagine, the DSD64 files are derived. I don't have another version of Sun Bear to compare to, but I do have other titles by Jarrett, Chick Corea and Pat Metheny in the Tower Records Japan SACD series, and they are all better than their German ECM CD versions (while I have the LPs for most of these titles too, I gave up on vinyl decades ago!). There is at least one thread here on the Tower SACDs where others comment on the sound quality of individual titles in the series.

These are all the releases to date:

ecm records proz- music | Discogs

filorus likes this.
  21. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Like Black Elk I have the 2017 SACD set and think it sounds fantastic, so, loving the sound of vinyl I decided to track down an original German 10lp box. Have had it for a bit, just finally got around to cleaning the records and played side 1 yesterday. I was stunned at how good it sounded, found myself just standing there staring at the stereo dumbfounded lol, lifting my jaw off the floor.

I'd say then that if you have the great sounding original German vinyl set, you are unlikely to be able to better that, even with the outstanding sounding SACD box, or digital files derived therefrom.

22. filorus

filorus Active Member

I don't have a SACD player and indeed found the LP version (original German press) much richer than the standard flac files (CD quality) I had purchased from Qobuz. But sometimes there could be some laziness in putting a LP record on play, that's why I was wondering whether the high-res version could stand close to the analogue one. But I got my answer ;-)

23. Josquin des Prez

I've never had a SACD player. I borrowed one once from my dealer. I compared some classical hybrid SACDs to rips of the CD layer on my network streamer. The SACDs were not better and I abandoned the idea of getting a player. That was fortunate foresight. The format is all but dead and I now have an even better streamer that supports Qobuz via Roon. At the moment the Sun Bear Concerts on Qobuz are 16/44, but I wonder if ECM will change that to 24-bit versions after this new release.

filorus likes this.
  24. DaK

My order was shipped today (bought at jpc.de). Hope to be able to report my impressions and runout information soon!

25. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

As a jazz newbie, i wasnt familiar with this set until this was announced. I streamed some while cooking the other day, and I definitely want to get it. But im curious of how quick it will sell out, at $300 and 2,000 copies i feel like there will be some time to wait.

DaK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.