Keith Jarrett Sun Bear Concerts - Piano Solo Limited Edition Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaK, Jan 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filorus

filorus Active Member

I concur with DaK, difficult to look at such a record set in terms of investment. The Sun Bear Concerts is one of my KJ favorites together with the Koln Concert and the Paris Concert. I already have the digital version of all of them on my Roon server but felt I 'needed' the vinyl one as well, for the sound that is more engaging, and the pleasure of spinning an excellent record. IMHO, the pleasure of it justifies the 'investment'... from an emotional and not scientific perspective ;-) Hope that makes sense.

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

yasujiro likes this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I liked to see the host smoking some times. SUN BEAR was recorded in the days of jazz and smoking closely tied together. :) And the recording mixer liked smoking very much. (i have not smoked in my life, though.)

4. Swordsandchains

5. Have you gotten your set? Any thoughts?

$500 is a lot for a used US set, is it a Japanese set? These use to be able to found around $100 used in the US, I am sure things have bumped up a bit per interest in vinyl and with a Covid price squeeze.

6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Is the DSD download only available from highresaudio.com ? Qobuz only has the old CD set. HDtracks doesn't have it either.

Sun Bear Concerts (Remastered)

Can somebody from Germany check the price of the set? I'm only getting this message:

Thanks

7. DaK

DaK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry but that's total nonsense. Maybe he should apply the same he requests from ECM to himself...get your facts right, show us that you care ;-) It's a replica (supposed to be an "exact" replica) with super hight quality paper. Inform yourself before you buy items that prevents from being disappointed. Sorry but he always seems to me more like a 50 years old hipster using vinyl as a lifestyle product more than being a genuine music fanatic, fan or expert.

ChickenringNYC, jlf and Roberto899 like this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yeah, I agree his complaint is unwarranted. ECM is clear that they are producing a replica of the original release and that's what he got. I agree that a nicer presentation and slipcase for the price would have been nice, but I know going into it that's not what I'm getting. It seems to me the review is unfair to ECM: they state upfront what the package contains.

Roberto899 and DaK like this.
  9. filorus

filorus Active Member

Hi, it costs €52.50... I am in France and I don't have such an error message.

e-onkyo also proposes the dsd download but at twice the price compared to highresaudio and only for Japanese based buyers.

Claude likes this.
  10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Thanks! That's really a great price. Cheaper than the CD set.

11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I disagree, I had this as a pre-order and never saw pictures of this box set as presented in the video. I have no use for an accordion style box set that holds 10 LP's,
    if I had known what this box set inside looks like I never would have pre-ordered it. It's not what I want in a box set, maybe some of you like this style, it's not for me.
    I cancelled the pre-order and will spend the $300 on packaging I prefer, I like LP's that have nice jackets that I can hold in my hands to look at and read recording details.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The Sun Bear set agrees with smoking weed I can confirm that. :laugh:

yasujiro and StevenTounsand like this.
  13. DaK

Ok and on what exactly do you disagree here?

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That the review was unfair. I liked it as it informed me on buying decision.

15. DaK

Ok, but you did read that is an exact replica of the original and was clearly advertised as that?

16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Well, OK, each to their own. When I preordered I did my research to determine what I'm getting for a $300 set. I would prefer a better presentation but accept that it's a facsimile instead. I'm really after the music. I think the negative review is silly. Nothing he's expecting was ever promised or even implied.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That is not an accordion-style LP box, it is a photo album type with individual pages (bound folder sleeves). Someone else will make this sell out.

18. Trane

Trane Forum Resident

I actually think the original German pressing was a set boxed individual records, rather than a portfolio.
    The Japanese version seems to have been a portfolio, though. The US version I don't know. Can't say from the information on discogs.
    Die Zeit edition limited to 350 copies (2019) was also a portfolio, with that stupid loose paper wrap thing.

Also there seem to have been some portfolio copies with some sort of a slip case.

[​IMG]

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I would prefer some sort of a slip case around the portfolio to protect it. The paper is a bit soft so without any kind of support it will get a bit saggy, eventually. But most of all I would like the pressing to be better. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it so I might just have been the unlucky bastard with the shortest straw.

John D. and Swordsandchains like this.
  19. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I stand corrected, accordion-style is the only description at the time I could come up with. I'm sure it will sell out, but I'm not going to be a part of it. :agree:

20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

No, I did not know it was an exact replica, the only description I found were photo's on Discogs, and it didn't show the photo album style.

21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

From discogs:

[​IMG]

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

The USA and Canada listing did not have this isometric view.

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Different people post different images. You can see in some of the other listings that the photos, etc. are part of a bound book. Not sure why others did not post an image like the one above.

24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

And this unboxing has been up since announcement day on February 9.
    Someone even linked to it in this thread a couple days later.

25. Swordsandchains

i wouldnt call that an unboxing, more just a promo video

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.