Keith Moon Rock and Roll Circus...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith Moon, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith Moon

Keith Moon Active Member Thread Starter

I've researched this and I can't figure out what he puts on his drum skins on the end.... is it beer or water? Answers appreciated.

2. Sunjammer

Sunjammer Forum Resident

There's a slightly different video from the one I'd seen previously here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUu0B63qnAI

At 6:17, he appears to hit a drum he's not hit before, and (what looks like) water comes gushing out. Then it looks like every time he hits it again, there's lots more water.

This ties in with something I've read somewhere which said that water came from inside a drum that he only started hitting part-way through the song. (Sorry, I can't remember or find the source for that.)

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

It's water!

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

EVERYTIME I look at that performance, I always think.....

If they are actually playing live (and aside from the "Her mans been gone" intro, I believe they are), didn't anyone think of the connotations of mixing water with all that elecrical equipment? Talk about a nearly shocking performance.....

5. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

6. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

Water. In fact, they had to do several takes to capture the 'water' spashing right on film.

Done purely for effect, that one time.

7. Keith Moon

Thanks! I had heard rumor that it was beer, and while that seemed far fetched it is our good friend Keith Moon!:p

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

What's far fetched is Keith wasting beer! :p

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Uhhhhhh, you think someone who used to fill his drums with explosive fireworks would worry about something trivial like that?????? :laugh:

10. Keith Moon

Keith doesn't mind getting shocked a little bit. It probably would just make him drum better.:goodie:

11. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

That youtube clip Norwegian Wood posted is from a Rolling Stone TV special that Keith Moon hosted. Worst drum solo of ALL time. No ideas on display at all, beyond the goldfish in the drums.

It's the same special where Moon and Steve Martin trashed the hotel room set.

12. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Agreed. Depressing from start to finish...and it's only a minute long. Keith spoke about drum solos as being boring and refused to play them with The Who. I wonder how much Courvoisier it took to convince him to do that solo?
    His drumming in "A Quick One" is the performance to pay attention to...and the better way to remember him.

13. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

The take on "The Kids Are Alright" doesn't show him pouring the water onto the drum, but if you look on the one that's on "Rock'N'Roll Circus", you see him doing it.

14. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

The better video to watch on youtube by far is Won't Get Fooled Again from Kids Are Alright. Talk about a maniacally wired band on fire. Townshend's antics are totally classic and that of legend.

15. I thought I'd read somewhere that the goldfish clip was from "Midnight Special" from 1974, and the Steve Martin clip was from the Rolling Stone special in 1977?

Maybe Keith shaved his beard between skits (or grew one P.D.Q ... :D ).

16. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Keith's drum solo is from ABC's "In Concert" (I believe Keith hosted this episode with Ringo) and the Steve Martin clip is from the Rolling Stone's 10th anniversary special. Seems like this clip was also used in Steve Martin's own TV special around the same time. My memory may be a little foggy on that one though. :righton:

17. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes.The 2nd Anniversary episode of "In Concert" from 1974.Ringo makes a brief cameo.

18. kiff

kiff Forum Resident

They did three takes of this. According to the "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" book, it is water and it did damage an overhead mic. I've read other reports that it was actually milk which would show up better on camera.

19. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

Senior moment. You're right, two different TV programs as noted above. The Midnight Special show IIRC also features The Faces and Humble Pie. The drum solo is considerably longer than 1 minute, tho.

20. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I meant the You Tube clip is a minute long...and a minute too long at that.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  21. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

That we agree on, Tom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.