Keith Richards and the X-Pensive Winos Live At The Hollywood Palladium-New Deluxe Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theebrianrector42, Sep 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yes on Itunes - will just pick them up from there (unless the other two become "album only" purchases)

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

One has to wonder if Keith really signed off on such a concept, and if he did, it shows he is out of touch. Yes, some collectors and deep fans will enthusiastically acquire a massive, bloated, expensive box set; but for many others, the music is what matters, and the three bonus tracks shouldn't be exclusive to a colossal and expensive box set.

3. I've been waiting for this on vinyl and blu-ray (which isn't here yet) for a long time. For this price, we should at least acquire the blu-ray version. Another album of live rarities would have been great. To me, this set is worth $100.

4. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

I was there too! (I need to find that more complete "unofficial" SBD)...I will buy this too.

katuna likes this.
  5. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

I think that was their reasoning for making it available digitally and they figure the people who want the physical copy want the deluxe box. I dont know why the couldnt make a deluxe cd edition though, that doesnt make sense.

Bill007, nojasa, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This is the best option. It seems likely the rest of the album will be squashed and compressed like they did for Talk Is Cheap, and you're better off with a rip of the old CD. This one could probably use a remix...I think it was more of an "official bootleg" than a major live release, to compete with actual bootlegs circulating by 1991. I always enjoyed it, but the mix could certainly be clearer. But if they're just remastering the old version, there's really no reason for that.

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. The fans who want the deluxe set are buying it regardless, no reason not to tack on the 3 bonus cuts to the CD release.

Bill007, Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

I've got the boot and not really interested in spending a ton of money for 3 songs. As much as I like Keith Richards, I'll pass on this one unless it drops to cutout prices.

JuanTCB and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. This darned thing is way overpriced, but I'm buying the box. I'm a sucker for this album, and this is my favorite Keith album of all time. Heck, this is better than most Stones albums. The last Stones album that equals this this was EOMS. It's too big of an itch to resist. I want those darned three tracks. I want the wax. I even ordered a separate copy of the vinyl. I'm scared of ordering vinyl due to the pandemic faults in quality control as evidenced by the last RSD drop. Still I'm going for it. Dang, I love this album! The version of "Happy" blows any Stones version away. A possible exception if the original 45 version or even the EOMS lp version.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Jack, Juggsnelson and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I also ordered the box and the 2lp red

Carl80 likes this.
  11. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Is this only available on the US store ? not showing on his UK store, can’t see it on any other U.K. sites either, I like the media book packaging , think I’ll be buying that to go with my Talk Is Cheap.

12. MuswellHillbilly

MuswellHillbilly Forum Resident

13. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

This is my favorite live album. I just ordered this on black vinyl.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I've had the unofficial soundboard for decades. Good solo in You Don't Move Me. The one time I interviewed Keith I asked why the songs were omitted. He said they ran out of tape. Clearly not true. Apologies if I've told this story before.

J_D__, Lewisboogie, JuanTCB and 5 others like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yep, so have I. No need to rush headlong into this, especially if the reports are for a brickwalled clipped mess

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I agree completely and for this reason I won't buy either this or the newest Pink Floyd box sets

Matthew Tate and Rooster_Ties like this.
  17. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Has anyone picked up the new remastered CD or vinyl? Any comments on the mastering?

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I listened on Tidal and it's been SLAMMED with the limiter. Way less dynamic range than my old DVD version has...

19. apb

apb Game on!

I got the 24/96 download from Qobuz for $16. It has the 3 bonus tracks. I then resequenced the entire thing to integrate the 3 bonus tracks into the running order of the show. The only missing songs from the show are Before They Make Me Run and the last encore, It Means a Lot.

20. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

The bonus tracks are really sloppy. I can see why they didn’t release them the first time

21. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I can’t imagine that the box set will be a “must buy” for many.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. apb

apb Game on!

That stab at the opening of You Don't Move Me is pretty poor.

I saw the DC show, third show of the tour, a few weeks before this. It was 1988, years before the internet. So there was no word as to what the Winos would play beyond Talk Is Cheap and a few obvious Stones hits. Starting the encore with Connection was a big surprise.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  23. walrus

it’s loud. Stick to your original, save your money and just download/stream the 3 bonus tracks.

Also, wait...they stretched it to a 2LP reissue but without the 3 extra tracks? Really?

24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The original DVD has only 12 tracks and it's over an hour so including 13 like the original CD did makes sense as far as stretching to a double LP — I can even justify putting the extra tracks on a separate 10" for the box set. But leaving them off the standard CD? WHY? It's just a few seconds over the 80 minute limit with all 15 tracks included in the streaming version. So, surely they could have edited a few seconds of crowd noise and squeezed it all on there in one disc, had they wanted to...

25. walrus

No idea (or interest in) about CD, but there's no reason a 4-sided double LP couldn't have had all 16 tracks (or even the complete show). Was thinking of grabbing it on vinyl, since I've always loved this live album, but just not worth it as a double in it's old configuration. (since my rip of the old CD is pre-loudness wars and sounds okay already)

(If they wanted to be true to the original release for some weird reason, the OG vinyl was a single with "Rockawhile" cut. This release makes no sense, but I guess it's just a cash grab that isn't supposed to)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    All Down The Line and aphexj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.