Ken Burns’ Country Music on PBS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Sep 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

It’s so good that it’s worth owning. My opinion.

Jerquee likes this.
  2. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

It may show up during a pledge drive. They like to pull out the "heavy hitters" for those things.

spanky1 and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I didn't know much about The Maddox Brothers and Rose so I liked that they told their story. I found this LP recently out in the wilds and finally got a chance to play it today. It's very good and reminds me of Louvin Brothers LP's on Capitol from the same period,1960,Ken Nelson sound. The electric guitar playing is great and Rose has a pure and steady Country voice, easy to listen to. Her spunky personality comes right off the grooves.

[​IMG]

4. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Oh yes - I purchased the DVD myself. I was under the impression DEAN was looking for online/broadcast options...

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

He can subscribe to PBS Passport for as little as $5 a month & enjoy a multitude of programming from their library.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Get the Blu ray 8 disc set. Worth every penny.

7. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  8. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

It really is for a friend who failed to watch on PBS and doesn’t own a DVR.

Robyrdt likes this.
  9. Darren Smith

Darren Smith Forum Resident

For any one in the UK, if it has not been mentioned before, it looks like when it is to be shown on the BBC from the 22nd November the show is being edited down to 50 minutes an episode..........very disappointing!

10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Local guy may have been thinking about the show as he just brought in a dump truck of country LPs(in U-Haul boxes).I will take some time for processing;some has reached the sales floor,starting at fifty cents. Usually with a genre buy,the store tries to put chunks out in waves,as to keep regular customers with other interests involved instead of flooding the store with the incoming genre.
    Great timing,as I may have found a potential vinyl hound with a grandkid who seems to like Johnny Cash and the Highwayman/Outlaw artists. I'm tip-toeing into the waters as to not to overwhelm the kid,but trying to get her to try some low end stuff(avoiding the grey market expensive sealed products) and trying out the cheap stuff on original labels. One thing we both have in common is shopping in dollar stores and second-hand shops. She has great instincts in buying clothes,so this might be an inexpensive way to get her into the hobby. This nonsense of demeaning the younger generation as hipster culture seems to come from folks with no connection to kids in their lives.

11. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

The initial announcement indicated six one hour episodes, followed by two of 90 minutes; - I guess that the DVD/BR will be necessary it we wish to see the full episodes.
    BBC - BBC announces exclusive film with Dolly Parton as part of a Country Music season this autumn - Media Centre

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Check local listings. The 'local' PBS station is broadcasting re-runs on weekends during the day and early evenings. My guess is that it will be re-run in prime time during next summer.

13. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I DVR’d the series during its PBS run and have been watching it again in drips and drabs, finally deleting an episode after its second complete viewing (I needs the space!). The episode I won’t delete however is The Hillbilly Shakespeare. I want to watch that one a third time with my loving and tolerant wife so she can maybe understand a little my devotion to Hank Sr.

14. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

That’s where we’re watching it on roku with our mpt pbs subscription. Love the opening with the passing of the banjos.

dalem5467 and audiomixer like this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Did I miss it or was there actually no mention of Johnny Horton?:cheers:

melstapler likes this.
  16. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Unfortunately he wasn’t discussed. He’s one of my all time favorites.

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  17. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

I think they mentioned his relationship with Billy Jean, but that's about it. I could be wrong.. but anyway, Johnny deserved to have his 2 minutes. Maybe when somebody makes a 32 hour doc. ha!!

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

To those who were disappointed about favorite artists not portrayed, the topic is Country Music. After watching the first four episodes, i think the documentary stays on cue Starting with the genre’s origins centuries ago, where the primary instruments came from and what classes of people played them, the beginnings of the genre like the carters and rodgers, what came next and how it’s evolved with Some artists continuing the style being evolved from. The main artists in these changes from carters to rodgers to bluegrassers monroe flat scruggs, to expanding the audience with hank williams elvis perkins cash and major crossovers with brenda lee (youngster shots were cool) and especially marty robbins, patsy cline and jim reeves, major recorders of the music from the carter beginnings to chet atkins to sam phillips to owen bradley. Its the story of the music. and the connection folk music being its name initially.imho.

BluesOvertookMe and Dugan like this.
  19. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

20. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Starts tonight, BBc4 - 2 episodes...

21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Was looking forward to this. I enjoy finding out more about the sources and history of the music we've grown up with.

Unfortunately, the narration from Peter Coyote almost does my head in :(

I struggle to make it through 50 minutes.

EG.

guitargal likes this.
  22. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I agree - Peter Coyote's voice grated on my nerves....I also thought they never mentioned many folks and
    Ken Burns was obviously a huge Johnny Cash fan cause he'd finally give someone else 15 seconds and then come
    back to Johnny Cash again.....some parts were interesting, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

melstapler and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

eddiel likes this.
  24. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

After much deliberation, my Mount Rushmore of Country Music: Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzell, Merle Haggard & Waylon Jennings. I also considered Jimmie Rodgers, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton. The cuts were very difficult, but there can only be four.

RSteven likes this.
  25. 18576

18576 New Member

HOW does one produce this show leaving out unarguably the greatest country singer of all time?
    George Strait ........seriously?

spanky1 and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.