Ken Burns’ Country Music on PBS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Sep 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Seriously?

john hp likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Strait would've been a good choice to narrate the Ken Burns Country Music program, since he seems to enjoy speaking in his modern songs. I prefer the classic Strait from the 80s and 90s when his voice was in top form and the material was first rate.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  3. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Yet another complaint:

[​IMG]

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Ben Vaughn is definitely a student of the music and probably knows even more about roots music than Burns.

mdm08033 and arob71 like this.
  5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Strait was mentioned in one of the last episodes. I can't remember how much air time he got, though.

6. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Mr. Strait isn't even the greatest country singer named George

BluesOvertookMe and melstapler like this.
  7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Of course that would be Jones.

8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Correct as usual King Friday

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Don’t know if it is nationwide, but locally, PBS is repeating the Ryman Concert this evening.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Two stations in this area are not. Philly is going with a Live from Lincoln Center New York Philharmonic Salute to Steven Sondheim;Lehigh Valley cheapo PBS outlet WLVT(though awash with $82 million cash from selling broadcast spectrum rights) airs icedance stuff. Really. This station has shown the episodes but not during first run and I don't think at all during prime time. PBS is still advertising that Ken Burns' Country Music will air two hour blocks Friday nights starting this Friday.Philly's WHYY will participate.

11. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

He got a bit of coverage, but it felt perfunctory. I was even more disappointed at the complete absence of Alan Jackson, but a lot of his emotional high points came after the loose 1996 cutoff point of the series.

12. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

no kidding - 2 of my favorite country artists are from the 80's (earle and lovett), but i watched this for the history of the genre, and lost interest somewhere in the 70's...

i know that it's a biased history (all histories are biased), but i enjoyed the first 4 or 5 episodes immensely.

(and i believe my local pbs station is ALSO showing the live from lincoln center philharmonic thing.)

smitquest

13. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Yeah, we’re (MPT) getting the Lincoln Center 8-9:30, then Ryman 9:30 -11:30.

I deleted it from the dvr on it’s debut, won’t this time.

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I got the DVD set, and am working my way through it. I agree with everyone who wondered, where was Don Gibson..

But I am really enjoying the video, and will probably get the cd set.

melstapler and Chazzbo13 like this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

:yikes::yikes:

Greenalishi likes this.
  16. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of traditional country music, but I much prefer Strait to Jones. As with most things, anytime the words BEST or GREATEST are used, it's simply a matter of preference. I love western swing, and my preference for Strait is probably because of his frequent excursions into western swing.

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

18. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Looks like Joey was trying to make a move on Dino's turf.

D.B. likes this.
  19. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Been enjoying reruns lately. Very well done show.

Mr. H likes this.
  20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

He is currently selling T-Shirts with messages like “The Opry has sinned” and “The Opry ain’t so Grand”, his whole thing is antiestablishment and he even has a song about Nashville called Trashville. This series is incredible, but it’s also close to being an extended advertisement for Nashville. I doubt he was approached to be on it. They had Holly which was probably a safer option, though it would have really added to the show if Shelton had been interviewed.
    I don’t know if he’s a mess or if he’s good at marketing. As far as I know, the label he was trying to get out of his deal from was focused on having a family friendly image, and he was doing anything he could to ruffle their feathers. I suspect this played a big role in the way he presented himself at the time.

I don’t know him personally, but he struck me as very professional when I’ve seen him perform.

21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

They only had so much room to tell stories. They had bosephus and holly on and it worked. Those slogans reflect outlaw country perfect which was adressed in the show. Hank 3 fits like many who were not on but there is only so many they can fit. Choices are made. Maybe a pt 2.

22. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I'm still laughing at the idea that this would be taught in schools and forever wreck the understanding of country amongst the precious children. And I laughed again as I typed this. Hank 3? Who cares? I barely care about Hank 2. Love the original Hank. The Nelson kids are alright as they got high and learned their Neil Young deep tracks and encouraged him to revisit them on tour. Shooter (or is it Scooter?) has a very fancy tour bus, I'll give him that. Is that it for children of greats who were born on 3rd base? Maybe 2nd base since dad was too busy to pay attention to them, though emotional scars are great for creativity some of the time.

Oh pardon me, drunk posting on Hoffman. I like the series despite the fact that at times it disappointed me that my favorites didn't get more time. But a big improvement over the Jazz format of following 4 bigs through thick and too much thin. It'll be interesting to revisit some of this again, but maybe not for another half year or more. Not that that'll stop me from listening to my favorite country of the past 90 years or so.

23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Hank 3 has had a pretty interesting career musically and while not sticking to just traditional country, has found his own ways to honor country and some of its traditions. His story of carving out his own outlaw identity might have made for an interesting segment, to tell the truth. But I wasn’t expecting him to covered as a topic and I wasn’t disappointed.

I agree this was done better than Jazz.

BluesOvertookMe and Greenalishi like this.
  24. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

The hard cover coffee table book based on the film has been spotted in remainder book sections just seven months after publishing. Ollies' Bargain Outlet has it for under $20. List price-$55.

25. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Road trip to Ollie's...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.