Ken Burns' new documentary: The Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thomas D, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

And I've been unable to catch the series (will probably pick it up on Blu-ray). Has the Cardinal Spellman / Diem connection been mentioned?

2. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

It's important to note that millions starved before Mao as well.

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

The John Musgrave interviews are compelling. I had to rewind & watch the "Three day in-country R&R for a live NVA prisoner" part several times. His pain at the telling of it & trying to explain the mindset...

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  4. LBJ describing the war protesters as mentally deranged during his call with Ike and his apparently genuine belief that the war protest was led by communist operatives really indicates how detached HE had become from reality. Our leaders inability to place any value on the life of the Vietnamese was also pretty chilling. The argument about how suspending bombing raids in North Vietnam would only lead to resumed offensive action and cost American lives was telling. Also, how Congress gave up it's authority to declare war has got to be the biggest executive power grab in US history. The notion of Congress declaring war is now a quaint concept from early last century (both parties are equally guilty here).

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Bones were set without any anesthesia or even an aspirin. That was enough for my wife, she left the room.

krock2009 and beccabear67 like this.
  6. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident Thread Starter

LBJ seemed to have also a surprisingly big-minded, thoughtful side. I think the war drove him mad. The way he was talking in that particular scene ("mentally deranged protesters") was so at odds with some of his earlier calmer reflections. Different person almost. And he realized it, or Lady Bird did. And that is part of the reason he did not run in '68. He realized how totally he'd lost perspective. On the other hand, maybe that dichotomy of personalities had been with him all his life and wasn't a factor in his '68 decision! Who knows. But I am often surprised at how big-minded LBJ could often be.

krock2009, Gardo, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  7. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

I forget. At the time LBJ announced he would not run in '68 was Nixon already the apparent GOP nominee? Or was that still an open race? Could this have had something to do with his decision not to run?

8. Thomas D

Yes as to Nixon. History usually presents it as LBJ saw how very unexpectedly close McCarthy came in the NH primary, and that rattled LBJ.

krock2009 and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  9. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

There's a former Viet Cong speaking throughout the episodes with obvious relish about how his army deceived, ambushed and killed many Americans.

I'd hate to have to fight an army of him in his own jungle.

krock2009 and pablo fanques like this.
  10. Watching on my local PBS channel. They showed Part 5 last night, which I felt - from a movie point of view - wasn't as engaging as the previous three episodes (even though plenty of ground was covered). Also, are we as the viewers to assume that when battle footage is being shown on screen that it's from the battle being talked about by the narrator/interviewees?

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I wouldn't assume that at all with the footage.

pablo fanques and Shawn like this.
  12. Thanks. If so, it would be nice if it was noted onscreen.

beccabear67 likes this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

My feeling is that a lot of that footage isn't documented.
    However, I could be wrong...

14. I think you are probably right. This was also an issue with other war-related documentaries, like The World At War.

15. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Even though I knew from the tone of the interviews that Denton Crocker Jr. wasn't going to come home from Vietnam, Moogey's death was very hard to take none the less.

krock2009 and Borgia like this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

This series should be mandatory viewing for high school students. Hopefully by doing so a few lives could be saved down the road.

17. Unfortunately that is unlikely. The Powell Doctrine was based on several lessons from Vietnam and it was dropped about as fast as it was adopted by people who knew better (again, in both parties) -who knew our history in Vietnam..

krock2009 likes this.
  18. Thomas D

I just wish someone could have gotten to him and convinced him of how irrational his hyper-eagerness to fight in this war was. Pity.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

"If you got the dough you don't have to go"...

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Impossible. His parents tried.

Even now, when kids should know better, they continue to sign up in droves. Madness(and, unfortunately, desperation).

krock2009 and misterdecibel like this.
  21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

They haven't got to 1968 yet, maybe tonight unless they spend the whole episode on the Tet Offensive.

22. At least in my market, the next 'new' episode - episode 6 - airs this Sunday.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

On Robert McNamara, a must-watch documentary is Errol Morris' The Fog of War: The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara

IIRC, McNamara doesn't express any remorse for his role in the escalation of the Vietnam war. In that sense, I think it provides a different perspective than that of the Burns' documentary. Morris' documentary is hypnotizing . . . it really is a fine piece of work.

Gardo and Rooster_Ties like this.
  24. debased

debased Senior Member

"....I don't know how to explain it, that it would make sense."

The Vietnam war in one sentence.

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Oh, that's right, this is Friday. I've been on staycation all week and forgot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.