Ken Burns turns focus to country music

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

I look forward to seeing Ken Burns documentaries. Imo he is a very good storyteller. But some here don't particularly care for his style? He tries to tell it as if you were there, bringing history alive through a 1st-person narrative. Projects yet to be seen are Vietnam 2017, Country Music 2018 (discussed here), Ernest Hemingway 2019, and Standup Comedy TBA.

2. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I'd like to be a member of SABR one day. I wonder how many people know the names you listed. Heinie My-tush - a little running gag I have with myself. Well, you see I'm from NY and I don't mind that one bit, but it was the lack of a character like Babe Herman or an underrated HOFer like Manush that made me think Burns glossed over so much.

I haven't seen it in some time also and I should probably re-watch, but I was so let down originally, I haven't forgotten. I remember each era had maybe 5 players mentioned that were major stars and then Ken would cover other details-again, not quite ones that had to do with actual results; more like what kind of equipment or how the fans were-which is important too.

My favorite old time team the Philadelphia A's dynasty was spoken of in a couple of minutes-that's Philly-a major city that had 2 teams. I barely remember hearing or seeing Al Simmons; Foxx, Cochrane, Grove barely (if at all) get a mention too. You would think a doc that long would serve the hardcore baseball fan, but it felt catered to the 'human' side and the casual-moderate fan. Maybe I'll rent from Netflix and watch that instead of the NY Mets getting injured every day!

MikaelaArsenault and EddieMann like this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

Will Ken Burns cover the Hee-Haw honeys? That is the question.

MikaelaArsenault and vinnie like this.
  4. :love:

MikaelaArsenault and Steve...O like this.
  5. Interviews need more Tanya Tucker, Mike Nesmith and Chris Scruggs. :D

6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Ken Burns The Origin Of The Furries
    See Fur And Loathing season 4 of CSI

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Any progress on this project?

8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why does the film keep getting pushed?

10. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

My guess would be this 18 hour doc which is coming in September.

The Vietnam War - Ken Burns

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have a problem with his Jazz series, because he not only ended it at about 1965, but then said that virtually everything after 1965 is not worthwhile. He provided a negative viewpoint to over half of the music's history, in a quick, dismissive way, without supporting his point of view. That was very disappointing to me. It would be like presenting a history of American film, cutting it off at 1941, and then in one hour stating that every development in American film from 1941 on was not worthwhile. It is not just that he only emphasized the beginnings of jazz, which I would have no problem with. He was too brief in negatively portraying huge amounts of the musical history, including a lot that I love and find extremely worthwhile from an overall historical perspective.

12. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Burns' Prohibition documentary was unexpectantly super-involving. But, I should have known that after being enraptured, like the rest of the country, with his Civil War epic, which forced us all to confront our painful past.

I have tons of respect for him, and his way of manipulating photos, letters, & rare footage.

MikaelaArsenault and beccabear67 like this.
  13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It's been awhile but I do remember the Jazz thing including modern artists like Cassandra Wilson at the end.

I think the one on three pioneers of radio, Empire Of the Air, was very good. Not sure he had all that much to do with it though...
    [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. dance_hall_keeper

That doc was Awesome, with a capital "A"! Shout-out...Jason Robards!
    Brooklyn Bridge is also very well done, his first in '81.
    I recall that he had "credibility" issues early, especially when he did Baseball. After it aired, USA Today published a list of errors. e.g: In the Babe Ruth episode and his 1927 season when he hit 60 home runs, footage was used of one of his home runs at Yankee Stadium and as he rounded First base, you saw his iconic #3 on his uniform. Problem was, the Yankees only started wearing uniform numbers in 1929.

MikaelaArsenault and beccabear67 like this.
  15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It says 2019 at the beginning of this thread.

16. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Brad, thanks for posting this information. I'm excited to hear about this series. I like Ken's work. I have the Jazz set and have watched it a couple times all the way through. I was a little unhappy with the final episodes regarding Jazz after the early sixties but all in all, I enjoyed the series and look forward to the Country Music series.

17. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

There likely are good books on the subject, right? I learned a lot about jazz from this book - Jazz: America's Classical Music: Grover Sales: 9780306804915: Amazon.com: Books I do like the pictures and film clips in Burns documentaries, and those you cannot get from a book. Burns seems to like to advance his view of racial injustice in his documentaries, and I imagine there will be no shortage of that in any treatment of country music.

18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I know, Kenny G and the whole "smooth jazz" thing are totally dissed out!:biglaugh:

Ah, I know what you mean...kinda. He certainly omits fusion with that timing, though many purists might agree. And I kinda feel-admittedly with some exceptions and admittedly perhaps with a ton of ignorance-that jazz has become mostly derivative. At least, when I read reviews and listen, I find some nice stuff, but seems pretty much in established styles. Miles Davis repeatedly said Maybe I need some way-pointing-out of new jazz styles to listen to.

19. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I recall at about the time the documentary aired Burns made a point of saying he intentionally hired writers and researchers who were not knowledgeable about baseball. He thought that would give the documentary a fresh approach of sorts. I thought that was odd at the time and still do. I'm not sure if he used the same approach for his jazz documentary, but I would not be surprised if he did.

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  20. dance_hall_keeper

I was told by a very informed source that renowned Canadian author Pierre Berton did the same sort of thing. He hired grad students to do the "leg work" for him but really didn't follow up on the accuracy of his underling's work. A result, some of his works are rife with errors.

21. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

That is not what I meant. He ignored or dismissed all of the vast universe of very original music of the 1960s and 1970s, and of every decade since, probably because he is not familiar with hardly any of it.

22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Tell me more tell me more-I suspect I'm not too familiar either, aside from jazz funk or whatever you want to call Bitches Brew and Chick Corea and such. Actually now I'm thinking about Grover Washington Junior's lovely Winelight, and one of my favorite records ever George Benson's Give Me The Night and now I'm thinking about Anita Baker. And Swing Out Sister who OK are kinda pop but definitely some jazz...though they and Anita are based on earlier stuff and not breaking new ground IMNSHO.

23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm not sure he showed much interest in any of the great jazz guitarists, in fact I only remember much about Charlie Christian being included (I think maybe he did have Robert Cray near the end). In a way he dissed Django, Les Paul, Gabor Szabo, Larry Coryell, Lenny Breau and other notable string benders.

24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Cannot be as good as when Ken had the country in focus (dvd set is great); here's over three hours :tiphat:

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  25. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yeah, his National Parks book and film are truly spectacular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.