Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers (New Album) May 13th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Apr 18, 2022.

1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

…what?

My post literally mentions that his vocal delivery is different and more animated live. What makes you think he’s lip syncing?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  2. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

So I just got a copy today here in America.... says Made in France on the back export sticker, MPO in the dead wax. What did I get? Not 100% sure but certainly not a Bellman cut, has a indecipherable squiggly signature that looks like of like z+c instead.

Honestly these major albums are starting to manifest like the "good ol days" ie there's multiple cuts and pressings floating around the world distribution, probably no way to even guarantee what you get. Looks like the Bellman was the gold vinyl webstore exclusive pressing, so no clue if that cut even went into wide distribution, we'll likely have to wait till Discogs gets more updated this weekend. All I can say for certain is that they're selling copies in shops here that are not the Bellman.

I'll give more thoughts on the pressing when I listen fully, but my first major quibble is the price vs packaging ratio. Easily the laziest Kendrick release yet and for the highest price tag.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  3. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

This Chris Bellman news is making me happy I ordered the webstore exclusive! It’s out for delivery now

zombiemodernist and jfeldt like this.
  4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Oh man that's ridiculous

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

After a high profile Glastonbury headlining show in the UK this album has had barely any staying power. After the amount of promotion as well as his sacred cow status, it's fair to say it has flopped here.

6. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

So finished my spin of the MPO pressed retail version. First the positives, despite some surface marks from the coated cardstock inner the MPO pressed record was really quiet after a RCM clean. Relatively flat, slight dish on side C, but subtle enough to not cause woofer dancing.

Honestly finding it hard to justify the price of this package elsewhere though. As I stated, the packaging is lame. Lightweight double-pack sleeve with lightweight cardstock inners, no spot printing like on his last two releases. Mastering is pretty lackluster, seems a little rolled-off on my system, but I'm sure that's due to the necessary volume reduction. Can't imagine any pressing of this really sounding "great" it's a pretty dense affair with a rough sound.

To be honest this album hasn't really grown on me as much I hoped but I still really like it. I think it's just an example of a "pretty good" album from an artist who's put out so many "great" albums. It works well as coda to the TDE era, and leaves me wondering where Kendrick will go next.

jfeldt and ghoulsurgery like this.
  7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Based on what exactly? Sales ? Downloads ? Interested if you have any facts to back that up ?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Mainly a really crappy chart run. What else is there to go by? It currently is at number 72 with loads of albums that are much older in many genres above it. You don't even have to sell many to get a top 10 album here. It disappeared out of the top 20 very quickly. For a Glastonbury headliner that's weak. There wasn't even a surge of interest when he did that show. It's a sales flop, regardless of what merits it does or doesn't have. For someone who's had the promotion, credibility and name dropping he gets, it couldn't really have done much worse. I'm sure fans will try and invent a criteria to make it seem like it's doing well, but it's blatantly not after it's first week or two. I don't know what it's like in the US.

9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It’s a difficult listen. A friend and I were just discussing it on Twitter and she said “there’s nothing fun about listening to this album.” Which is part of what I like about it! But that also means I don’t play it often and I have to be in a very specific mood for it. I’m curious to see how it flows as 4 sides of vinyl instead of the one long album I’ve been used to streaming

zombiemodernist and pinkrudy like this.
  10. englishbob

From memory the Glastonbury set didn't really contain material from the new album.

Kendrick is a critical success which I think is deserved, but that doesn't translate to smash hit radio friendly chart success - and that is a tale as old as time

timnor likes this.
  11. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

It went to number one in the US on streams alone and went to number two in the UK, the same as DAMN. did.

timnor likes this.
  12. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

Yeah, I completely agree with you here! I listened to this album to death when it was first released and I still rate it very highly, however it's not an album I want to revisit often because it demands the listener being in a particular headspace, and it's not a headspace that I really enjoy being in. As a work of art and as a purging of things that Lamar evidently needed to get off his chest though, I couldn't praise the record highly enough.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, a tough, challenging album indeed. I do appreciate it's "jazzy" groove/swing, which makes it an easier listen than it would be otherwise.

As for the vinyl I got, gold, made in Mexico apparently - haven't had another vinyl say that. Good enough pressing though, and "CB" in the dead-wax made me happy.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  14. englishbob

I've just (finally) received my copy - Made in France sticker on the back, bare bones sleeve - not the Chris Bellman cut from the US edition. Pathetic - this is retailing in the UK for £40+

zombiemodernist likes this.
  15. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Wow, just wow!!!

sentinel90125 and jfeldt like this.
  16. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m so glad be brought Sampha to SNL to perform “Father Time”

sentinel90125 and OldSoul like this.
  17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Don't see that making Top Of The Pops

18. My problem with Kendrick is that he raps too damn fast. I need to find his lyric sheets to get all- or even most- of the words. When I read them, I'm often impressed. But I'm just plain unable to catch the gist of what he's saying when he performs live, even though his instrumental backing is typically spare and uncluttered.

Boswell likes this.
  19. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

That's the one aspect where I still think Eminem is king. Not really a big fan, but the man enunciates every syllable even when it's a fast track

That said, Kendrick's not far off either IMO, I love his patter style and can usually make out what he's saying

20. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

I was a little bummed to see that the lyrics were not included for the Mr Morale vinyl. Obviously they are available online but I really enjoy reading along with them during an early listen. I always seem to get a better understanding of what he is saying if I can see it written down.

21. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I really like this album, but can’t help feeling slightly disappointed as I don’t think it hangs together as a cohesive work compared to Lamar’s other releases.

Good Kid…, To Pimp A Butterfly and DAMN all begged to be listened to in order, in one sitting, all the way through. Mr Morale… comes across as being ‘just’ a collection of songs - albeit of a very high quality. I don’t think there’s any weak spots, but I’ve noticed that I get the same effect listening to it on shuffle as I do from start to finish.

Kendrick Lamar is still amazing, though. What a rapper. The beats are varied and interesting. So, I feel almost ‘wrong’ in my hang up, but there you go.

For what it’s worth, the Apple Master sounds fantastic - warm, and a little quieter than the CD. This is common with all his albums on iTunes. Plus, you get the bonus track ‘The Heart part 4’, which is a doozie. I still like the physical format for albums where possible though, so have both.

Adam Pajda, ghoulsurgery and jfeldt like this.
  22. Badnruin

Badnruin Forum Resident

Did anyone buy the vinyl from Walmart and get the CB cut? I got mine from target in the 3 for 2 sale but it was the MPO one, would like to try to get the CB.

ian christopher likes this.
  23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I think they're all CB cuts, no?

24. Badnruin

Badnruin Forum Resident