Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers (New Album) May 13th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Apr 18, 2022.

1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

It might, it already shows as 2 discs on some digital outlets like 7Digitial

Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers (E... | Kendrick Lamar | MP3 Downloads | 7digital United States

ghoulsurgery and jfeldt like this.
  2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i find this guy to be a character and very educated acting... he doesnt like the album. whats scary is he says that its an album for people that like being isolated, sad and introverted. i felt like he was describing me??

but the thing is i never even pay attention to lyrics so maybe he is accidentily right?

chris8519 and jfeldt like this.
  3. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Not when i listened to it. It sounded Kdot was addressing his past trauma, pointing out some hypocrisy from his past, having a Trans relative, toxic relationship issues etc... Problem for most people listening to Kendrick ( or other musical artists) is that they don't stay the same forever and will follow their own muse. He's growing as a person from the looks of it. This album isn't going to be for everyone but that's okay.

ghoulsurgery, jfeldt and pinkrudy like this.
  4. RosesFromYesterday

RosesFromYesterday Sitting on an angry chair

Alice in Chains should have won the Pulitzer for "Dirt". Far better than anything LaMar has ever made.

"Dirt" tells a story, gives an insight into Layne Staley's battle with depression and addiction, while accompanied by Jerry Cantrell's heavy yet melodic riffs.

And it's musically innovative, too

From the Middle-Eastern riff on "Dirt", to the unconventional key signatures, to the harmonies that make heavy use of tritones (a rarity in rock music), "Dirt" is a masterpiece. Kendrick LaMar's albums are not.

What has Kendrick LaMar ever made that can hold its own against this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfmatjm2NdU

I'm isolated and introverted, too, and LaMar doesn't resonate with me at all...rap is a social dance music, it's the kind of thing that is played in the club for people to jump around and shake their butt to...rap is not really music for introverts or the isolated

Rock started out as social dance music (it was heavily based on the blues), and Chuck Berry, early Elvis, Little Richard, etc...was not the music of introverts, it was the music of extroverts to party to on a Saturday night.

But rock evolved from a social dance music into being mostly about self-expression, and about musical and lyrical sophistication, instead of being fun party music.

If EDM continues to become the main music for party people, rap may very well become an introspective, thoughtful genre of music for isolated introverts, but as of now, it's still a social dance music, and in a social dance music, the beat (for dancing) matters more than the lyrics

5. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

You don’t like it. We get it. Move on.

This music resonates with a LOT of people.

6. RosesFromYesterday

There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion. Threads would be really boring if every post was people going "oh I love this so much"

Scott222C likes this.
  7. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Oh, the anti-rap (and basically, anti-music made by Black musicians) contingency is already here

8. RosesFromYesterday

Michael Jackson had some good songs. Just because I don't like rap doesn't mean I dislike all music created by black people.

9. RosesFromYesterday

Are there any CD players that actually can't play all 80 minutes on a standard CD?

Maybe some really old ones from when CDs had only 74 minutes, but I'm pretty sure all CD players made in my lifetime can play 80 minutes.

10. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like Alice In Chains but to compare them to Kendrick Lamar is baffling.

I will go on record and say that he's one of the greatest lyricists period. He can be brash and cocky on one song and completely wrecked with anxiety and self doubt the next.

There's a reason why his lyrics are so often talked about. There's a huge level of honesty and deeper meaning in his writing and one that can't be dismissed on just one listen.

Considering you've got a picture of David Bowie as your avatar then you might like to know that To Pimp A Butterfly was a massive influence on Bowie during the making of Blackstar. You can hear it all over the album.

11. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's an example of his lyrics and how he can completely change in the space of one song.

YoGarrett and Beamish13 like this.
  12. Nike

Nike Duke

I like this album, but just ask questions about RS and brown sugar and this new song “ we craying together “

13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Whilst I respect your opinion on why you love Dirt you are wrong on Rap-that's such a lazy generalisation and saying the beat matters more than the lyrics? Total nonsense plenty of Rap artists from it's origins to the current day have absolutely reflected society via brilliant and insightful lyrics. This is such an uneducated post.

14. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

This thread is so cringey. A new album was released hardly 24 hours ago by an undeniably prolific artist, and we've devolved into debates over the artistic merit of hip-hop (ie. "club music v lyrical depth") and the use of profanity five pages in.

EDIT: I should say, not the whole thread, I was really enjoying reading through it up until the last page or so ...

Timos, olinko, jfeldt and 2 others like this.
  15. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The parody-worthy stuff on this page is why I won't bother sharing my thoughts on this album here. I'll just say that this dropped at the perfect point in my life. Some of it speaks to me so deeply. The whole album left me emotionally exhausted in a way I don't recall any other doing. A great roller coaster ride. I relistened to most of Part 1 on my commute yesterdy and I look forward to really digesting this thing over the coming weeks.

16. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

If you think this is bad, I can only imagine what kind of posts/replies this topic would get over at Audiogon.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But when one is inherently dismissive of an entire genre, then I agree it's kind of pointless. That said, if they did actually listen to the album, then a credit to them on giving it a shot.

Savior
    Mr. Morale
    Die Hard
    Auntie Diaries

They're some of the standouts for me on early listens. This will change upon further review.

I think rap/hip-hop has been generally stagnant as of late. Kendrick is one of the few current artists in the genre I get excited for when a new album drops.

Was kind of blown away that Beth Gibbons of Portishead fame makes an appearance.

17. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Does everything that song does 100x better. 'Dirt" is a pretty apt title. *My opinion* that I wouldn't go into a Alice in Chains thread to vomit up twenty times just to ruin the vibe for their fans.

You know: if you a hate an album, its artist, and its genre, you can spend your time talking about other stuff. Your opinion is not at all relevant.

18. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

Damn i forgot all about low tier gamer lol he's doing album reviews now? :laugh:

19. RosesFromYesterday

I only compared because they created a great, cohesive album about a serious and important topic (addiction and depression), and I think they were more worthy of the Pulitzer than LaMar.

Not really to my taste. Why does the song have like a hundred lines of lyrics. Information overload. I much prefer songs that use far fewer words but still say something profound. Look at "Nutshell" by Alice in Chains. A total of eight lines, yet it speaks to me in a way that some verbose Kendrick LaMar song never could.

But the purpose of rap is a social dance music, just like the purpose of rock'n'roll in the 50s.

Ethan Hein (a music professor who loves rap and thinks it should be taught in schools) has said this.

He pointed out that the way rap is mixed is done so that most of the noise is higher or lower than most speech, so that people in clubs and stuff can still have conversations while it is playing. Whereas with rock, most of the noise is in the speaking range, so it's harder to speak while rock is playing loudly.

Lots of rap songs with really stupid lyrics have become hits because the beat is good for dancing ("I like big butts and I cannot lie...", etc...), but the same is not true in reverse. There aren't any rap hits with bad/undanceable beats that hit big on the strength of their lyrics.

Think about the way "Nutshell" is one of the most popular AIC songs, despite being an acoustic ballad that you can't dance to. Where's the rap equivalent of that?

Yes, sure, you can find some examples of that in classic rock, but there is far less of it. John Lennon had "Woman is the N of the World", but that doesn't change the fact that there is exponentially more use of the N word on any one Kendrick LaMar album than in the entire classic rock catalog.

Lyrics should strive to be poetry, not a reflection of normal speech patterns. Normal speech doesn't rhyme. The vast majority of lyrics do. TBH, it always makes me feel a little uncomfortable when rappers say the "N" word, since I'm white, when they throw that word around, it very much feels like I'm not the target audience for their rapping (since whites aren't really allowed to say it anymore, which I'm completely fine with, since I have no desire to say that word, since I don't listen to music that says that word).

No, it absolutely doesn't. I listened, and it did nothing for me.

Where are the heavy riffs?

Where is the singer pouring their heart out?

Where is the cool chord progression? (In the chorus of "Dirt" : G#-A-B-F#m, or in other words: I-bII-bIII-vii, notice that 3/4 of those chords are borrowed from Phrygian mode, which gives it both its dark, sludgy sound and its Middle Eastern vibe)

20. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

I agree. Part of what makes this record such a surprise for me is that if any other mainstream rapper over the last 30 years or so had created three stone cold critically acclaimed classics in a row (not to mention winning a Pulitzer for one of them), the tendency would have been there to create something uplifting and celebratory, a kind of "look everyone, I made it!" statement. Kendrick has returned five years later as a broken guy introspectively examining his flaws. It's certainly not a party album. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised in a way, with Kendrick it's worth expecting the unexpected.

21. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to get the full thing to fit on one CD, it’s shorter than TPAB

RosesFromYesterday likes this.
  22. Saturns Pattern

For what it's worth, I thankfully don't seem to see any of that stuff (I was wondering why this thread was looking a bit "random" this morning) so either there's been posts that have been deleted or they were made by someone who somehow made it onto my ignore list, which is normally the best place for folks that threadcrap in my experience. Either way, I'd rather focus on this brilliant new album than someone trying to draw attention to themselves on the internet or (from what I can gather at least) trying to move the conversation towards Alice in Chains or The Rolling Stones, both of which have their own threads. Don't feed 'em, just block 'em with no regrets. I do, and it works well for me.

jfeldt, zombiemodernist, ivor and 2 others like this.
  23. APH

APH Forum Resident

Pretty limited view of music, if it has to have heavy riffs.
    And the clip posted very obviously has LaMar pouring his heart out.
    You may not like it, but that's definitely what he's doing.
    I'm not even a big fan, I find his confessional too specific, but he's obviously as talented as say, Jim Morrison.

24. Saturns Pattern

Please tell me that's a legit quote, because if so that's staggeringly braindead :laugh: Obviously, a listener gets different things out of different music. Imagine listening to, say, "Moonlight Sonata" and thinking it's somehow invalid because there's no "heavy riffs" or emoting singer on it. Christ, imagine listening to a hip-hop album and feeling let down because it doesn't sound like Led Zeppelin.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm about to go in for another listen on this. I don't think I even listened this religiously to DAMN. when that was first released, and I was all over that album.

jfeldt, Brendan K and OldSoul like this.
  25. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

You are still really uninformed-catastrophically so-a quick google will show you are off the map with this limited view point.

https://hiphoparchive.org/sites/default/files/the_social_significance_of_rap_hip_hop_culture.pdf

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/politics-of-hip-hop/

Music

I'm no expert on Rap but it does crossover into R&B which is awash with ballads. Rap is like any form just like Grunge or Metal it has it's majority style and then you get slower more atmospheric tracks etc.

Your viewpoint seems to be Rap isn't AIC which is more your problem than anyone else's........it's also a bit shallow.

Music is music yes you can argue genres have limitations-Grunge, Death Metal, Slowcore, Ambient, post-rock but at some points sometimes one off points all these genres can crossover and ultimately it's what the listener experiences that matters.....living in another country hearing The Message for the first time was a jaw dropper-music had stepped somewhere else so to make comparisons as much as I liked some Grunge it didn't have quite the same strike of originality.

And of course Grunge could be dissected in a very negative way-many of the bands seemed to be incredibly self-obsessed and disenfranchised but maybe that was just a reflection of a section of that generation but there was something cliched and sadly fatally predictable where a lot of that was heading. I think my generations view on that is best reflected on Drive by REM where the danger and banality of rock and roll as a strike back without self-control was a depressing idea.

Maybe that's unkind -mental heath is tricker than that but if you throw in rock bands and egos and rock hedonism just as is the case with millionaire Rap artists then there are many paradoxes in intent and integrity.