Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers (New Album) May 13th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

you tried making your point by referencing one of the first hip-hop songs that hit number 1… 30 years ago, when Hip-hop was not taken seriously by the market at large and seen as more of a novelty.
    Newsflash: it’s 2022, hip-hop is the most popular genre in the US, and all sorts of hip-hop songs, some danceable, some depressing as hell, some so simple it’s laughable, some with lyrics literally professionally studied have all become hits.

2. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Any ideas when this is coming out on vinyl?

Kevin j likes this.
  3. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

Literally within the first two minutes of the video, he mentions that he’s only listening to “the first 30-60 seconds of each song.”
    Because as everyone knows, that’s exactly how all music should be judged and listen to, by its first 30 seconds and nothing else.
    He also States several times in the video that he “doesn’t like listening to **** thats going to make him sad, or try to get him to think about s**t politically.”
    He also says several times that he doesn’t want to hear about the problems of the world from someone worth $75 million, and just wants to hear about their extravagant lifestyle.
    So yeah, it’s clear that The album isn’t for him, which is fine, he’s allowed to have that opinion.
    It’s a real shame that he has to tear the people who like the album down though

pinkrudy and aphexj like this.
  4. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

I don't count Untitled Unmastered as a studio album. With that being said, Kendrick is 5 for 5. The last time I witnessed this level of consistency from a mainstream rapper was Kanye in the 2000's.

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Why are people writing an extra capital letter in his name like this? "Lamar" is his name, no capital M... I have family members with that as a surname. Hundreds of years ago, it was derived from the French "Le Maire" but has been Anglicized as Lamar for generations

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  6. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Tell me you don’t listen to hip hop without telling me you don’t listen to hip hop

vinyl>cd, I-OD, YoGarrett and 11 others like this.
  7. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I like art that makes me uncomfortable so this will probably be in my top 5 for the year. I’ve had a busy weekend so haven’t really been able to give it the attention it deserves. But even without a super close listen to the whole thing, I can tell this is a major work

8. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

He probably lost interest in the genre once Vanilla Ice fell out of fashion. Give the poor sucker a break. :D

9. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Maybe “LaMar” is Kendrick’s new stylization and we all missed it. Like back when Kanye was “kanYe” :laugh:

Timos and Penny24 like this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'm listening on amazon music, and it's split into 2 "discs".

jfeldt likes this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

so, in a "nutshell", your problem with kendrick lamar is that he's not alice in chains.

go away.

12. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

“The problem with the new Kendrick album is that it’s not Alice In Chains” sounds like the premise for an onion article

Micah, vinyl>cd, Lars Medley and 15 others like this.
  13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

combined with the avatar of a dude from a butt rock band? priceless!

Lars Medley, OldSoul and ghoulsurgery like this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

How old is your burner?

OldSoul and aphexj like this.
  15. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Judging by his track record on this site, this guy is either a troll or only a few weeks away from being breaking news on CNN. Either way, his views on hip hop are both predictable and ignorable.

vinyl>cd, Lars Medley, paste and 9 others like this.
  16. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

No one told me you had been appointed the undisputed arbiter of rap music. Congratulations.
    o_O You're just trolling, right?

Lars Medley, OldSoul and ghoulsurgery like this.
  17. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Coming to the new Kendrick thread and asking for heavy riffs is like going to New York City and asking for deep dish pizza.

18. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

the guy doing this doesn't seem to have much understanding or respect for Kendrick, this is just a further example of it.

19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

you didn’t listen to a second of this album or even any KL song if you’re describing what he does as “social dance music.”

Anyway, back to the album, I’ve only been listening to the first disc so far and the highs are really high. But then there’s something like “We Cry Together” that I’ll probably never listen to again, mostly because the female vocals are just atrocious. And to be clear this has nothing to do with the content, and everything to do with how her voice just isn’t good.

jfeldt likes this.
  20. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

euphonious sound isn't something I'd expect from a heated fight lol

21. motionoftheocean

Except it sounds forced and lame. He sounds good. She doesn’t.

steviej likes this.
  22. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

Disregarding the massive amounts of blah blah blah in here... Any news of a physical release coming? I know it's expected to be a CD or 2CD, as well as vinyl. Just surprised that a long-awaited new release by an artist of his stature doesn't have any kind of official announcement about it yet. Or at least none that I could find in multiple Google searches. I'd have pre-ordered already if I could have!

Ariel Aditya likes this.
  23. motionoftheocean

this is becoming and more and more common

24. dalecooper

He is in the Mt. Rushmore of rap conversation now, if he wasn't already. Just a terrific, thoughtful and thought-provoking discography.

25. dalecooper

The part that bums me out is not the wait--I can be patient--but that sometimes there just is never a physical release and they don't bother to tell you. e.g. Frank Ocean's Blond. If I could assume that no physical was planned then I could adjust. But nowadays too many releases, even from popular artists, they just leave you guessing. I guess it's because we're still in transition from the old model to a new one, but as a physical media loyalist, it frustrates me.