Ken's "Great Directors" Avatar Win-Nothing Contest

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Itami's first was "The Funeral" 1985.

BC

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

Not Itami, as BC pointed out.

Regards,

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Should I be thinking Anime?

ED:cool:

4. Ken_McAlinden

Clues, I will do, but I only answer questions if these things drag out for days. :)

Regards,

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

How about "Akira" Director Katsuhiro Otomo?

BC

6. Ed Bishop

And the only other animation director of any note I can think of is Hayao Miyazaki--at least in global terms.

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Otomo's first project was in 1979...so that fits the clues. Also Ken said he changed the avatar to akira.jpg to throw us off. Actually I think that was another clue. Plus Otomo does wear that kind of glasses.

Ben Canas

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Ed,

And you would be right.

9. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I was going to guess Yasujiro Ozu, but that was before I saw the clues ... and before I saw the answer.:D

10. Ken_McAlinden

It is, in fact, Hayao Miyazaki. The "akira" filename was doubly misleading. ;)

Miyazaki-san had three films released on DVD in the US and Canada yesterday ("Spirited Away", "Kiki's Delivery Service", and "Castle in the Sky"), so I have been engorging myself on his work. That's one of the reasons I was slow to respond to Ed's correct guess. I couldn't tear myself away from the TV!

His first feature film as a director was "Castle of Cagliostro" AKA "Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro" in 1979. His latest was "Spirited Away" which won the Academy Award for best animated feature a few weeks ago.

Regards,

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Congratulations ED.

:thumbsup:

Two-time winner of Ken's "Great Directors" Avatar Win-Nothing Contest.

I am impressed.

BC

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I was glued to the set last night watching my new copy of Spirited Away. And my wife, who's not a big anime fan, couldn't tear herself away either. Apart from the obvious similarity to Alice in Wonderland, what I found myself thinking of most as I watched it was early "immerse-yourself-in-a-strange-world" computer games such as Myst. The early scenes as they explore the theme park gave me that same sense of experiencing new and strange vistas in an engrossing, visceral way, as if I was in the film.

13. Ken_McAlinden

If score were being kept, Bob Campbell would be the all-time champ, but Ed's got him looking over his shoulder, now. ;)

Regards,

14. Ken_McAlinden

Sayonara Miyazaki-San

Okay, I have confused newcomers to this thread by once again changing my Avatar to yet another great director. Let the guessing begin!

Regards,

15. Gardo

My first thought was Douglas Sirk, but the hair's not quite right. Then I thought Vincente Minnelli, but the nose isn't right. (Pick on a nose, quoth Ringo.)

I'll keep trying.

16. Ken_McAlinden

You are right that they are not right. :) Keep guessing!

Regards,

17. Ed Bishop

Henry Hathaway?

18. Ken_McAlinden

Nope, one more educated guess and I will drop a clue.

Regards,

19. Ed Bishop

Well, these are more like 'uneducated' guesses, Ken, so what the hell....

Anthony Mann?

20. Gardo

That's it, Ed. I know this because I just found the image Ken grabbed for his avatar.:D

http://www.prisma-online.de/express/person.html?pid=anthony_mann

Ain't I a sneaky devil?

21. Ken_McAlinden

OK, I lied. I should have said "one more incorrect educated guess and I will drop a clue".

It is, indeed, Anthony Mann, director of such great films as Winchester '73, The Naked Spur, He Walked by Night, Man of the West, The Man from Laramie, Bend of the River, The Tin Star, The Glenn Miller Story, El Cid, The Far Country, Raw Deal, T-Men, The Fall of the Roman Empire, and numerous others (including the first bits of shooting on "Spartacus", before Kirk Douglas replaced him with Stanley Kubrick).

This Tuesday (May 6) will see the DVD release of three of his image-shaking westerns with James Stewart from the 50s: Winchester '73, Bend of the River, and The Far Country.

Regards,

22. Ed Bishop

That you are, Sir! It would never have occured to me to look at a German website for a photo. I just play it by ear; I've probably seen Mann's pic in several books, including an excellent Jimmy Stewart overview by Jonathan Coe. WINCHESTER '73 and THE MAN FROM LARAMIE are remarkable revenge tales not to be missed. Yet he was, for me, an erratic director; can't say I'm much of a fan of THE GLENN MILLER STORY or even THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. It seems, at one time or another, almost all great directors wind up doing one of those sword'n'sandles spectacles; must be the challenge of staging such a pageant, yet the films rarely hold up. EL CID's not bad, though, for what it is.

23. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Congratulations ED.
    :thumbsup:

Another win.

BC

24. Ken_McAlinden

Erratic perhaps, but how many directors have made ten films as good as:
    Winchester '73, The Naked Spur, He Walked by Night, Man of the West, The Man from Laramie, Bend of the River, The Tin Star, El Cid, T-Men, and Raw Deal?

His batting average may not have been as good as Alfred Hitchcock and Howard Hawks, but he made some great films, and his failures were usually not abysmal. Fall of the Roman Empire is pretty much killed by its script, but it is still a wonder to look at. Hmmm? Maybe a thread should be started on films that could be improved via removing the dialog. :)

Regards,

25. Ed Bishop

Thanks, Ben; unlike Bob, I'm just lucky more than anything else. Guess some of my obsessive cinema viewing and reading has stayed in the ol' noggin'.

I hope I wasn't being too harsh on Mann, Ken; it's just that, as time went on, like so many aging directors, his choice of material went downhill. Happened to Hitchcock to some degree, and I thought by RIO BRAVO, Hawks had lost it as a director; the acting and dialogue became so static, stilted and mannered it was like watching someone MAKE a movie, rather than a piece of cinema you could get lost in. Even so, the looseness of those later Hawks films are fun in their way. My fave Hawks 'disaster,' if it can be called that, was the infamous and gloriously campy LAND OF THE PHARAOHS, best known now for having a young Joan Collins in it. How Jack Hawkins was cast as an Egyptian pharaoh is one for the ages; to call it 'inspired' casting would be faint praise!:laugh: :laugh:

But Mann's best work holds up with anybody's from the '50s; WINCHESTER and LARAMIE are not far away from SHANE and THE SEARCHERS quality, which is high praise indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.