CLERKS III might be in the works! YES!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The original idea was a Clerks III play that was supposed to travel around the country and/or be aired in theaters (live). He had repeatedly said he was retiring from films, but then he goes, "BUT WAIT! This won't be a FILM! It'll be a PLAY!" :rolleyes:

Kevin ALWAYS changes his mind, so this isn't surprising.

3. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

America really needs this right now.

As long as his very talented wife is in it, and it is in 3-D then you've got my $9.50, Mr. Smith.

4. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I completely forgot there was a Clerks 2 and had to google it. :)

:wave:

5. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I was very lukewarm on Clerks II - some truly great stuff and some truly awful stuff that felt like it belonged in a different movie... but I'll still give this a chance, of course. I'd rather see him pick up the too-quickly-aborted Clerks animated series again, though.

6. marke

marke Forum Resident

I'm up for another Clerks. The first two were hilarious.

7. nbakid2000

ABC owns the rights to that so he can't. The best he could do is maybe start a new series but I'm unsure how much he signed away. They are making a Jay and Silent Bob cartoon movie so maybe it's not that hard.

I should try to ask him.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm not as excited about this as the OP. I liked "Clerks" a lot but thought "Clerks II" was a disappointment and Smith's willingness to return to the well again doesn't inspire me with confidence about his creative abilities.

To me, Smith just seems lost and unsure about where his career should go - if anywhere - so he continues to re-mine his youthful success. Will I see a "Clerks III" if it comes out? Yeah, but I'd go into it with extremely low expectations...

2trackmind and Dudley Morris like this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Apparently the timing for Clerks III will depend on how well filming goes on Chasing Amy II (same cast, 20 years later).

11. Baba Oh Really

I like how Randall and Dante actually got to OWN the convenience store. Oh, was that a spoiler? SHAME on you for not seeing Clerks 2 then!! ;)

I hope "Clerks 3" is mellow and "low key" like the first "Clerks". Maybe even in black and white?? We can DREAM, can't we?

12. Baba Oh Really

Well I imagine Keven has certainly got MORE than enough money to retire on quite comfortably.

That said, I sure hope he doesn't. I think making movies is in his BLOOD - he'll never be able to escape it, thankfully.

13. Baba Oh Really

They re-made a bunch of scenes from the original "CLerks" that were written but never filmed as animated clips with the actual voices, it's on the Deluxe Edition DVD. Great stuff, however, scenes ARE cut for a reason..

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I hope it is a success so we get Clerks IV: Clerks In Space. The guys could work at a gift shop or news stand at a space station.

15. nbakid2000

They would have a cameo in the Ranger Danger movie if he went the space route.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I loved part 2. Loved it.

But this might be going back to the well one time too many.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I enjoyed both...I'm in for a third!

18. Not sure how this will go. Something's changed for him in the last three or four years. I can't put my finger on it, but the quality of everything he's done (from his writing to his last couple of movies) has gotten worse. It's like something that was once in focus now has a thick layer of gauze over it.

19. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

We need more discussion about a$$ to mouth in film today. It is just completely getting ignored by mainstream films.

That and having sex with a donkey.

Smith is indeed one of the most important film makers of our generation.

20. Oatsdad

Agree. Maybe he's having a mid-life crisis, or maybe he's tired of making movies that don't earn an audience beyond those already in the "club" - who knows? But Smith has seemed semi-lost for a while.

I used to really like the guy and his work, but I admit I've gotten tired of him - he just doesn't seem to be growing... :shrug:

21. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

By and large I agree, he has never achieved that high note again like he did with dogma, for me that was his masterpiece. I actually thought red state was pretty good for what it was.

22. Oatsdad

I never saw "Red State" but I liked much of Smith's work through "Strikes Back". (Always hated "Mallrats", though.) "Jersey Girl" was mediocre, "Clerks II" was hit or (mostly) miss, and "Zack and Miri" was spotty. "Cop Out" was a dud.

Smith just seems like he can't decide if he wants to make more "adult" films or stick with the style of humor that got him where he is. He now seems to straddle those two sides in a way that doesn't satisfy...

23. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I am ashamed to admit I actually liked Cop Out.

24. nbakid2000

Cop Out wasn't his and he'll be the first to admit it.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm in for both Clerks III and Chasing Amy II..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.