Kim Shattuck RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glass Candy, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chodad

chodad Hodad

Liked all the bands she was in. The Muffs were great.

Glass Candy and melstapler like this.
  2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

absolutely in shock... I just read the news of her passing. I have loved the Muffs since hearing their cover of Rock & Roll Girl on the 1992 cd Freedom Of Choice which I bought because there was a Sonic Youth track on there that I didn't know.
    what a terrible loss… Blonder & Blonder is one of the best punkpop albums ever and the same goes for Really Really Happy. their new album will be released in 2 weeks time.

Glass Candy and melstapler like this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Here's a neat video of Kim Shattuck performing 'Rock N Roll Girl' with The Paul Collins Beat. The Muffs toured with The Beat in recent years and it's neat seeing them perform this song together considering they both recorded enjoyable versions and Kim was an outspoken fan of The Beat.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Hep Alien, geo50000, JL6161 and 2 others like this.
  4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Great song from last year's Pandoras EP

5. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

I’ve never heard of that guy before and what a pleasant surprise that was. Great stuff!

Glass Candy likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow...56, that sucks! R.I.P.

7. vamborules

8. vamborules

Great interview from Guitar World...

---

"I'm definitely inspired by classic. Not classic rock, because that would be solos and "Hotel California" and that's not one of my inspirations (laughs). When I first started to write, my inspiration was backwards. It was the late '80s, I was still in the Pandoras, and I was not liking the direction of the band after a while -- it was too metal. Everything that was popular then in Los Angeles was starting to irritate the **** out of me (laughs) and I was getting really bummed. Stuff like the Red Hot Chili Peppers were happening and I was like, "I ****ing hate them so much, I have to write the anti-Red Hot Chili Peppers songs (laughs)." It was so clear to me what I wanted people to write, and they weren't. Melodically, I could see the chord pattern in my head, and I could hear it, and I knew where I wanted it to go. So I was like, I just gotta write songs, cause no one's writing the song I want to hear.'

Guitar Girl'd: Interview with Kim Shattuck of The Muffs | Guitarworld

9. Lon

Lon Senior Member

RIP Kim.
    You'll be missed.

Glass Candy likes this.
  10. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

RIP

Glass Candy likes this.
  11. vamborules

12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Hep Alien, vamborules and Freek999 like this.
  13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

14. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Kim Shattuck memorial tribute by Tommy and June feat. Fat Mike and Baz

vamborules likes this.
  16. vamborules

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I've always thought that Kim was the best female rock vocalist of her generation and
    a great 'no-nonsense' guitar/bass player. This is truly a great loss. I listened to the
    "Blonder And Blonder" album on the way to work today and all I can say is that her
    record collection must have looked a lot like mine...heavily influenced by Greg Shaw's
    Who Put The Bomp fanzine in the 70s. She covers all the 'hot spots' on that album
    from neo-Merseybeat to Ramones-influenced punk rock to Flamin' Groovies power pop
    to Sonics-raw 60s garage punk and even '60s Dutch Nederbeat (a la Q65). And all with
    terrific original songwriting and energy and drive comparable to anyone on the scene.
    R.I.P. Kimmy. You will be missed.

[​IMG]

CMcGeek, lightbulb, pobbard and 8 others like this.
  18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Sorry to jump in on this so late. I haven't been on the forums for a couple of weeks.

I've mentioned a few times here that the Muffs are my favorite 90's band. In fact, they're my favorite band of the last 30 years.

The news is almost surreal to me. Like everyone else, I had no inkling that Kim was sick.

I can't remember the last time I was driven to tears by the death of a musician.

RIP Kim, I'll miss you.

melstapler, Spazaru, Freek999 and 3 others like this.
  19. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Really good band, I almost full catalogue and have enjoyed Kim and the band from inception.

PaulJay, melstapler and Glass Candy like this.
  20. deege3000

deege3000 Forum Resident

My buddy Timm is playing bass on this.

melstapler likes this.
  21. vamborules

I love this Bangles cover she did with White Flag.

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't read it before. That's really a great quote.

I remember the first time I heard The Muffs. It was 1993 and one of the local radio stations played "Lucky Guy" on their alternative hour or whatever they were calling it. I couldn't believe it. It was like, where has this been all my life? I remember thinking, if the rest of their disc is this good, I have a new favorite band. I'm sure I bought it the next day. The rest of the disc was just as good. I've been hooked ever since.

23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

One thing I'd always hoped for was a pro live recording of The Muffs playing a full set. I'd seen them play sets having to open for or in between other artists and I know some of those were filmed (with the audio limitations one would expect), but it would be interesting to know if any multi track recordings exist which could be utilized for a definitive live album release. This would be a good question to ask Ronnie or Roy if anyone has Facebook.

pobbard likes this.
  24. vamborules

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Over the weekend, someone posted a 1995 San Diego show on youtube. It has audio limitations for sure but is still a fun watch.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.