Kindergarten Cop alleged line alteration?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Sep 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone have the 1991 VHS from MCA/Universal Home Video to confirm if John Kimble did originally say "They're like little terrorists", like IMDB claims? Thanks in advance.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I remember that, though I don't have the VHS.

Found it online.

Kindergarten Cop (1990) - Arnold Schwarzenegger as Kimble - IMDb

Do a search on that page for "terrorists" and you'll see the whole quoted scene.

EDIT: Just checked out the BluRay - they merely omitted the line. There are no alterations to the line itself.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  3. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Still wondering if this is why True Lies is not on Blu-ray.

4. Vahan

If only someone had that VHS...

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Unless they went and digitally edited Arnie's lips to not move, I'm pretty sure that line has never been there.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  6. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

There are sites that just list quotes from the movie, not talking about any editing, that have the line. I link to one below. But I guess they could've pulled their quotes from IMDB, so it may still depend on IMDB being right about it.

Reitman shot lots of different takes on Ghostbusters with alternate lines, so the whole shot could've been replaced with an alternate. It certainly seems like a natural spot in the dialogue to place a joke. And it's a genuinely funny line, that seems like a natural bridge between Arnold's action and comedy personas.

The Best Kindergarten Cop Movie Quotes

Phoebe: How'd it go?
    Kimble: Go away.
    Phoebe: That well, huh?
    Kimble: You take over tomorrow.
    Phoebe: And blow our cover? Can't do it.
    Kimble: They're horrible. They're like little terrorists.
    Phoebe: Tell me about it.

This DVD Compare site is unclear about it. It says the line is removed from foreign releases. It says the U.S. release is uncut, but also says it can't confirm the line was ever in the movie.

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Kindergarten Cop (1990)

This web site, promoting a book or something, mentions the line nonchalantly:

The Social Media Strategist: Build a Successful Program from the Inside Out

Also mentioned casually in this movie review from the U.K.:

Kindergarten Cop Review | Movies4Kids

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  7. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I’m almost positive I have the vhs. I’ll check tonight.

8. I'm guessing it was never in the movie, because its controversial enough to have have been uploaded to Youtube if it exists. I don't remember the line myself when I watched this movie a couple of times in the 90s.

9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Another example from 2011, a blog that's not about movies just randomly quotes the line from memory. Overall though, Google only has four pages of hits for that line combined with the title of the movie.

Yeah. Good Times.: March 2011

It's also possible the line only showed up in TV versions, as opposed to theater and home video, which would make it much harder for a copy to show up online. There are tons of extended scenes from the USA TV version of Naked Gun which are still impossible to find online (other than a site with screencaps which were just put up in the past year), and they're much more significant than this line.

10. Strat-Mangler

What's weird is that I specifically remembered the line as I read the OP.

Found the answer, Vahan

Kindergarten Cop (1990) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

"In the original version (filmed in 1990), after his first day with the kindergarteners, Kimble mumbles "They're horrible. They're like little terrorists." In post-9/11 versions, the line about terrorists has been deleted."

11. Vahan

Have you checked already?

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I am curious as well!

13. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Sorry guys, lots of bourbon and Wisconsin fish fry. I checked prior to my escapades.
    I have the 1998 version of the vhs. My tape has the they’re horrible line and that’s it.
    I’m going to make a thrift store run tomorrow to try to find an original 1990 tape, but I’m guessing the line is the same.

Moonbeam Skies, JediJones and Vahan like this.
  14. Vahan

Maybe it's a Mandella effect?

Moonbeam Skies, Pete Puma and Thwacko like this.
  15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

cancel culture!!

Andrew J likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Are you allergic to reading my replies? :laugh:

17. It’s an illusion. Seriously, my guess is that someone misheardmit and it had this Mandela like effect or a different take was used ina preview versi0n and was replaced after negative reactions. Just a guess.

I saw the movie in theaters and dim;t remember hearing that line and it would have stuck with me cause it’s better than what is in the film (as good as the scene is).

Pete Puma, JediJones and BeatleJWOL like this.
  18. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I just picked up the 1990 original vhs release this morning. I got home and popped it in… same thing. No terrorists line.
    The way that scene was shot, there isn’t even room for him to say any more. It would have have to have been a completely different take to be used.
    I highly doubt that line was in the theatrical cut.
    I guess the only way to be sure would be to track down the 35mm print or maybe the shooting script. I’ll hit up some more thrift stores next week I guess.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  19. Always a neat trick canceling what was never there.:laugh:

czeskleba and Kevin j like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.