King Crimson 2019 Celebration Tour (50 years)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I also miss his guitar, but I don't think I want to hear Adrian sing any of the songs that he didn't originally appear on. Sing his songs, and play guitar on everything, that would be the ideal situation

2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Women... :shake:

allbrosca likes this.
  3. moops

moops Senior Member

Yeah, just the stuff he appeared on for sure, but his guitar adds so much and it's, for me, what I find is missing from this current line-up ( if something can be missing with that many players ). But, after watching Mexico I'd kind of reached "Peak Crimson" so I put on a Collector's Club live recording from New Haven 2003 with just a 4 piece line-up of the time - Fripp / Belew / Gunn / Mastelotto - and while there is no pre '80s material in the set list, the guitar interplay is insane, the rhythm section wallops and it's refreshingly stripped back ....... and all with just one drummer !

4. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Haha! I'm now staying till Wednesdsy. How could I pass this up! Looking for a good ticket for Tuesday! My wife will suck it up and be tired at the NKOTB show on Wednesdsy in Toronto!

Zach Johnson and Kim Olesen like this.
  5. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

As posted to dgmlive: "All three nights for the Royal Packages at King Crimson's Albert Hall shows sold out within hours of them going on line. However, don't forget that general tickets go on sale on Nov 30th but best not hang around for those as demand is going to be very high indeed. "

6. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I decided i had enough after the Vienna disc, but i finally gave in and bought Meltdown. I'm glad i did, because in my opinion it's definitely one of the best Crim live albums ever. In my opinion it's on par with The Great Deceiver, Nightwatch, Absent Lovers...and the 1969 Fillmore East, if they'll ever find the multitracks.

7. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I think, while "too each his own" is certainly applicable with these line-ups by comparison, I do feel that you have successfully summed up my feelings when juxtaposing this current band with the former. Less is more and this is certainly, by contrast, more adding up to less. Still viable and worth pursuing but something is a tad off.

moops likes this.
  8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Best. Wife. Ever.

You should return the favor and accompany her to NKOTB.

But ferchrissakes take a smartphone and ear buds.

9. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

My daughter already claimed that ticket!

gd0 likes this.
  10. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Sounds like if royal packages are already sold out that these will be a hot ticket - guess that’s part and parcel to it being the only 3 UK shows and the possibility that it’s the end of the road....we shall see!

11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I doubt next year will mark 'the end' for King Crimson. No reason to stop just when they keep adding more wrinkles and surprises along the way... Singleton mentioned the 50th anniversary celebration tour plans were organized around multiple-night stands in a small number of cities, I guess we'll see how that pans out but I'd probably put NYC next on that list, a five-night stand at the Beacon seems very probable!

MungoMusic likes this.
  12. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

One of the recent live CD's (Chicago or Vienna) features a picture of the King Crimson audience. The Crimsons attract a large audience but if you can find a single female in the fairly clear shot, let me know and I'll give my reading specs another polish. If a gal is there, the odds are she is just being nice to her hubby and would certainly rather be at a New Kids or ABBA concert (depending on whether she's GenX or a Baby-Boomer).

Am I saying there are NO female King Chromosome fans? No, but the album pic indicates they are significantly in the minority.

13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ In some markets, yes; in non-English speaking parts of the world this is not so overwhelmingly the case

albertop likes this.
  14. moops

moops Senior Member

Yeah, some of it I find a bit too cluttered or something. But hey, what do I know as I think in the booklet with the Meltdown set, this incarnation of KC is said to be classed as one of the definitive line-ups.

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Royal Albert Hall live blu-ray would be nice, if Mr. Fun would allow it.

You can count the females in nightly Tony Levin crowd photos. Some nights only 2 hands will suffice, as the number is under 10 women in venues with more than 500 people.

At the show I attended I could only count 7.

Marty T likes this.
  16. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Well I had to check based on your comment and it is the CD from the non-English speaking Vienna wherein you'll find a picture depicting about as much of a sword fight as it gets. I see the live album from Chicago has several audience shots and indicates another a sausage party. If they want to change that, they might consider NSync as a warm-up act.

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'm going to ignore the hideous implications of your last comment, and point out the Viennese on balance probably speak better English than most of us North Americans do, they learn it in school and consume English-spoken media

Judge Judy likes this.
  18. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

This lineup IS one of Crimsons 'definitive' lineups in my view and many others, but every lineup and album configuration of players have all been quite interesting to me. The male/female fan ratio discussion borderlines on the most grade school levels of arguments however, and means zilch.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't think that the current line up is any more or less definitive than any other King Crimson line up. It is unique in the sense that this is first time we've witnessed retro-Crimson, where in the past they largely avoided looking back. There's a sense of them coming full circle at this point.

MoonPool, pexie and albertop like this.
  20. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I was sat next to a couple at Manchester recently, with the woman next to me, and she most definitley did not want to be there. She told "he" had bought both their tickets (high price seats) and KC wasn't her thing. It was "his" thing. She was good-humoured about it, but it's a long evening to sit through almost three hours (including break) of something that she really did not enjoy. Kept looking at her watch after 5/10 minutes of the second set, which became distracting. I really did feel a little sorry for her. KC are not for the casual listener.

I got the DGM e-mail pre-sale of packages at the RAH, but I've now well and truly scratched that itch to see KC live (1 x 2000, 2 x 2015 and 2 x 2018), so the RAH £275/£300 price tag, which would have needed another £300 for hotel and travel, has been ignored. I did hover over the chance of a box at the RAH, but I've had my fill of this ensemble line-up, and I may not re-visit KC live again unless RF opts for the smaller line-up of three or four again. That's my personal preference.

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

He mentioned last year in Austin, and probably elsewhere, that performing at different venues in the same cities, was an idea being floated. Not sure if it's feasible or practical.

Queen Elizabeth Theater and Massey Hall in Toronto? Make it happen!

aphexj likes this.
  22. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I have all their big boxes, and I have no expectation that I'll get to listen to all of them. I regard them more as things I can dip into at leisure, sort of like a book of lists that you read on the toilet in non-linear fashion.

23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It would be nice to surround yourself with the appropriate trinkets for these rituals:

King Crimson in the Loo?? – Inner Knot Online Store

24. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

aphexj likes this.
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

@toilet_doctor is there an HQCD edition you'd particularly recommend as a pairing for the bathroom decor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.