King Crimson 2019 Celebration Tour (50 years)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

2. I don´t know, Crimson is not a band you can count songs to guess the lenght of the show. They played exactly for 3 hours, if you count the 20 minutes break they make.
    Good luck next saturday, I hope they´ll play 5 or 6 hours in Santiago, enjoy!! :)

3. Jimbino likes this.
  4. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

5. Yes, I missed Cirkus, that is one of my favourites, and was played the day before but I agree it was a great set, and Mel Collins and Gavin Harrison were on fire!!!

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Last 2 concerts of the 50th anniversary tour and first ever 2 concerts in Chile !!!
    Do you think they're coming with surprises here? :wave:

Expectations are HIGH. Local stations have been playing KC music A LOT

... and TODAY is the 50th anniversary of 'In The Court of the Crimson King'!

On this date 50 years ago In The Court Of The Crimson King was released. Over the course of 335 days in 1969, the original band formed, played over 70 gigs, released a groundbreaking album whose impact and legacy continue to be felt today, and broke up while on tour in the USA.
    You can read about the making of the album here...

50 years ago on this date

[​IMG]

Reese and gd0 like this.
  8. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

expect a 2.5-3 hour show with a 20 mins intermission and a one song encore. That has been the standard of the tour and would expect it to be how it ends. It being a two night stand, expect some variety!

looked up this arena and it looks huge! Would this be the single largest non-festival performance / venue they have played at?

9. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I'm impressed that the radio stations there own any King Crimson albums. In the States, I think the stations near the Crimson concert venues observed the event by playing Life in the Fast Lane, Take the Money and Run, and Bohemian Rhapsody, but perhaps that was just the regular playlist.

10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

when Thrak cane out Dinosaur was on Danish radio a couple of times... Not something that would happen today though.

11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Thrak was the introduction to King Crimson for many fans here (myself included). And there were A LOT of rumours about the band playing here ... but they only played in Argentina that time

Despite the main single was 'People', the most well known songs from the album were 'VROOOM', 'Dinosaur' and 'Walking on Air'. Sadly, to this date, none of them have been played on this 50th anniversay tour.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It was my intro to KC as well. And still my fave album of theirs.

Billy Infinity and Max Florian like this.
  13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If you want hear "Dinosaur" and "Walking on Air" live, you go to see Belew.

Stonegarden71 likes this.
  14. I´ll have to agree with this.

It´s nice how we´re all talking about the same band and so many different bands anyway.

I listen to Crimson since I was 17, they weren´t in activity back them, but I loved their music as well as the rest of the so called "progressive rock music" .

When they decided to return and they used my country as a bunker to come back, it was like a dream coming true for me, I got to see them 5 times. I´m really fond in that double trio line up, and I have the best of the memories of those shows, particularly about Bill Bruford´s performance.

But like I said, I´m very fine with this band not performing those tracks, because I think this gig is for something else. I had tears in my eyes when I heard Cirkus, epitaph, starless, 21st century, islands... I would really not worry for dinosaur or walking on air anyway, but again, so many bands in one that I can totally understand people missing songs from lists. I have my own missing songs and I went to both of the shows here in Buenos Aires, so, there you go.

15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Today is the day !!!!!!

In a few hours King Crimson are playing for the very first time in Chile

:goodie::goodie::goodie:

gd0, Maranatha5585, Mbe and 2 others like this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

It was truly historic, epic and fantastic night

Everything was so great: the band, of course, the audience (very respectful and enthusiactic at the same time)
    The setlist was full of KC classics (Pictures of a City, Cirkus, Islands, Easy Money, Moonchild, In The Court, Epitaph, Starless, Red, Indiscipline, 21st Century Schizoid Man, etc)

Among the highlights for me

1- 4 out of 5 In The Court songs (only Talk To The Wind wasn't played)
    2- The transition between Moonchild and Island was truly magical. NEVER EVER seen something like that at Movistar Arena. We were about 10,000 fans, yet the silence in the quiet moments of the show was breathtaking.
    3- Red. No more 'We Will Rock You' drumming. It was a new drum arrangement that worked just great
    4- Extended improvisations on songs like Moonchild (incl Robert Fripp, Tony Levin and Jeremy Stacey solos)
    5- In The Court with the final coda
    6- The extended 21st Century Schizoid Man, with a phenomenal Gavin Harrison drum solo
    7- The band REALLY showed they here happy to perform here.

About the ONLY imperfection was Jakko's mic during the first line of 21st Century Schizoid Man didn't work. Fortunately it was fixed quickly. The other thing that I could say is the sound during the first 3 songs. A bit too much drums a too little Jakko's mic and Mel Collins. From Pictures of a City onwards it was just great.
    The only downside is they performed just Easy Money from Lark's album. Surely on the second night they're performing Part 1 and/or 2

I noticed the show was filmed!. Really hope they'll release something from these historic 2 nights

Soon I'm uploading the few pics I took (of course). Prior the concert, intermission and in the end

:wave:

17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Sounds like a huge crowd was there for a great show! Glad you enjoyed it.

ponkine likes this.
  18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Pre concert. With the chairs in front of the stage for Santiago Guitar Quintet, which was wonderful and very influenced by League of Crafty Guitarists.

[​IMG]

Intermission

[​IMG]

The end of a fantastic night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

20. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Where's Wally? :p

I'm the guy from the balcony on the right with the white shirt (Lark's Tongues shirt) with my camera taking the pictures I posted for you :wave:

[​IMG]

frank3si, albertop and Kim Olesen like this.
  23. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

How was the sound? Looking at your pictures, it seems you had a good seat!

I am sure this evening, you may ask yourself, why I did not bought a ticket for the second show? Normal behavior.

ponkine likes this.
  24. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The tickets from the balcony sold out for today as well. Only some expensive seats are still available for today :cry:

2 of my best friends are going tonight!
    Even one of them bought the VIP package

:agree:

PS: The sound was killer. Except for the first 3 songs. As I posted, the concert started with a bit too much drums and too little vocals and wind instruments. After that, everything was great, incl drums, winds and vocals. So powerful. In particular keyboards parts and mellotron, as well guitar and everything Tony played sounded amazing!

25. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

ponkine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.