King Crimson 2019 Celebration Tour (50 years)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

I was debating just canceling the order and getting it from amazon UK. As of today, Amazon’s checkout page said with standard shipping I would get it in 6-10 business days. Might do that or just stay lazy and wait on book depository.

2. van1

van1 Forum Resident

My book depository order was cancelled last week.
    First I received an email saying ‘good news we’ve secured copies from the supplier’
    Next day I get an email saying cancelled as it was unavailable.
    After a few emails back and forth I’m told my order was cancelled due to a pricing error (it was originally listed for A$32 with free shipping), I was told I’d receive an email explaining why but nothing has gone through yet.

3. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

When a deal looks too good, it is probably so!

I have seen many bad reviews for book depository, I have decided to order it from DGM USA

In The Court Of King Crimson - An Observation Over 50 Years (Book)

4. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

My BD order is still listed as "Order status: Processing." Per Sid Smith, "[Book Depository] were never going to have stock for at least a couple of weeks after the publication date. I gather they've not ordered enough and are having to wait until other stock orders have been fulfilled."

5. cbmuir

cbmuir Forum Resident

I reached out to Book Depository and got this bovine-excrement tinged answer:

Hi Chris ,

This is Chantowena from Book Depository Thank you for taking time to reach out to us.

I regret to inform you that the item has been delayed at the publishers. I am afraid that they have been unable to provide us with a fixed date for when this will be available. Your patience and understanding is appreciated at this time.

Once we have stock this title will be dispatched to you. If you do not wish to continue with this order, please advise and we can cancel this for you.

I am very sorry that we could not have been of more assistance in this matter. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,
    Chantowena J,
    Customer Advisor​

Them pushing the blame onto the publisher is slimy. Either they didn't turn off preorders when they sold out of the number they had on order, or their business model involves just hoping that people are really patient.

It seems like a poorly run company. If I was Amazon, I wouldn't want Book Depository even mentioning that they're an Amazon company.

6. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I guess I spoke to soon, just got a cancellation from Book Depository. Oh well, order with DGM USA.

7. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Book depository has not cancelled mine yet....prolly canceling tomorrow and taking that business to the good people at dgm US. Never had a problem with them and this book depository thing seems to be going nowhere.

8. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I generally order books through Book Depository because of the free shipping to Australia, and have never had a problem with them, never. Even if my order is still showing ‘processing’ and perhaps it will be cancelled, it doesn’t mean Boom Depository doesn’t work. You guys are generalising too much. This sort of things happens everywhere, even with DGM, burningshed and Amazon. At least in my experience.
    I’m happy to wait and not pay twice as much for the book.

9. van1

van1 Forum Resident

At the time of writing, 3rd party sellers on Amzn australia have it for A$39

albertop likes this.
  10. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

This just in:

Your pre-order has been released by the publisher and is on its way to our warehouse.
    Your order will be dispatched from our warehouse soon, and we'll let you know once it's on its way to you.

albertop likes this.
  11. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Same here, just received a few minutes ago.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  12. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Just got back from seeing Steve Hackett playing the Selling England By The Pound album at Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith Odeon to anyone with a memory). During the intermission I passed a guy on the stairs who looked really familiar - it was Jakko Jakszyk.

I told him briefly how much I love his work with King Crimson and that I thought the two shows I saw earlier at the Royal Albert Hall were fantastic. Nice guy - I hope he enjoyed the Genesis music in the second set as much as I did.

Max Florian, tedhead and Reese like this.
  13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

You can listen to Jakko singing Entangled on Hackett's "Genesis Revisited - Live At Hammersmith".

Max Florian, rikki nadir and albertop like this.
  14. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

My order for the KC book has just been cancelled by Book Depository and my money refunded.

For those in Australia put off by the very high shipping charges from Burning Shed, you can now buy it from Musea at Amazon.com.au. It's only A$2.84 more expensive than Book Depository. (Note that expedited shipping is cheaper than standard, so best to pick this.)

We really should have a new topic for the book, as with it being hidden within this thread it is hard to find.

Billy Infinity and albertop like this.
  15. cbmuir

cbmuir Forum Resident

Mine was cancelled too, after getting the "good news" email a few days ago. Book Depository seems totally incompetent. As I said earlier, if I was Amazon, I wouldn't want Book Depository even mentioning that they're an Amazon company.

16. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Clearly there are issues with them getting hold of the book. But it may well not be their fault.

Expecting a company to honor every order is unreasonable and sometimes just not possible. I'm disappointed that they couldn't fulfill my order. But a full refund is them behaving ethically.

albertop likes this.
  17. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Same here Michael. I'll look somewhere else, perhaps from Musea.

As I said before, they are not incompetent. This happens everywhere, even to Amazon. We've got full refund. I don't see the point of insulting a serious company just because they didn't get a book. What about MFSL then? They list titles and then release them after three years, and we are still purchasing from them.

MichaelCPE likes this.
  18. cbmuir

cbmuir Forum Resident

The "Good News" email was presumably triggered by something. It is full of statements that turned out to be inaccurate. You can try and push all of the blame onto the publisher, and probably they deserve much of it, but I am having a hard time coming up with a reasonable excuse for Book Depository sending the "Good News" email.

At any rate, this was my first experience with Book Depository, and will probably be my last. I'm sure that if I had a history of orders being fulfilled by them I would be willing to cut them some slack, but my first order going south, and the various complaints on their Facebook page makes me want to steer clear.

Whataboutism. Just say no.

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

This is the first time I've had an order cancelled by Book Depository. Every other order I've ever placed with them has been completed quickly and without the slightest problem.

From now on I'll only use Book Depository for 'in stock' titles.

albertop likes this.
  20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

On another note my copy from Amazon.de took just three days to find it’s way to Denmark. They may be a tad more expensive but there is never ever any trouble with stock from Amazon.de. And a value that above saving a few pennies. German efficiency.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The word is they will tour North America next year as the opening band for another act... any guesses who it will be?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I’m taking my daughter to see Billie Eilish, so here’s hoping!

Billy Infinity and aphexj like this.
  23. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Oh dear... Having to get rid of eight people's equipment (including three drum kits) on the stage before the main act can play will be quite the workout for the stage crew.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Re: playing with click tracks. I knew they do it with the newest incarnation but it was new to me that they did it on the 84 tour (as per Sid Smiths book). Did any other incarnations after 84 play to click tracks?

25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ The current one

Not if they invest in rolling risers! The Crim crew can wheel everything backstage for setup & tear-down. This makes me think it will be an amphitheatre/arena sized tour...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.