King Crimson 2019 Celebration Tour (50 years)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

What is your source of info?

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Jakko Jakszyk talk radio interview on the front page of DGM news right now

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Billy Infinity and KCLizard like this.
  3. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I do not know what band will be the headliner, My guess is that DGM REALLY wants to increase their audience to get new fans (customers), think about it, how many new albums are you going to buy from KC? THis is where their future lies, getting new fans.

I dont think , I will attend any of these concerts.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

What if they play Fracture? :p

5. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I would prefer to hear it during a soundcheck!

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Now THAT was a special experience. One I won't soon forget... but I must say, even if it's at a show another band is headlining, I would like to hear it for REAL one day!

7. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Good question. King Crimson is one tough act to follow. so they'd better be good.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Roxy Music?

9. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

My guess would be Tool. It certainly would make for an interesting double bill.

10. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

That would be great but after seeing the Roxy R'n'RHOF performance and interviews I doubt they'll play together again.

11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

They did do that before, but looks like Tool has already hit the major markets in NA
    Tool

Maybe Steven Wilson?

Scott Michaelsen likes this.
  12. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

If Tool is touring next summer, then it might be possible especially that in 2001 King Crimson played in 9 occasions as the opening band for Tool.

13. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

If they are opening for another act, then the reason to do this is to play to those who don't know King Crimson.

So clearly the main act has to have an audience who have a reasonable chance of liking King Crimson.

If it were a main act who were playing in the 1970's most will have heard of King Crimson. So it has to be a younger band. But, if it is a hot new band then most of the audience won't be interested in lots of old men playing. So the band has to be old enough for it's audience to have matured enough to be open to some history.

So Roxy Music would not be suitable, but Tool could work very well.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I hope its Cannibal Corpse

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Interesting.
    I think Tool is a good possibility, would certainly be a good fit.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  16. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Tool, I hope!

17. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

King Crimson as an opening act? That would be disappointing and quite odd if its still the 7 man Beast. A lot of expense to play what, an hour? I could see a tour with Steven Wilson making sense, but even there I would think Wilson would be the opener, not KC.
    Tull? Yes? Hackett might make a lot of sense but Steve won't have any issue selling his Seconds Out Tour and those gigs are already being planned.
    If they do a big shed tour with Journey or Foreigner or Styx, count me out, lol.

Tool doesn't really interest me, if it was a small club venue I'd go see Crim and then leave.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  18. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Tool interests Fripp. That’s a known fact, he likes the bands music. They have many things in common, one of which is a no picture policy. KC could play to larger crowds than ever. They could play an hour and a half set, then Tool could do the same. Co-headliners, just with Tool playing last. Imagine Fripp joining in a encore with Tool. I’d definitely attend!

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. Say It Right

They did exactly that in '96 with 6-man lineup for HORDE Festival tour.

20. DrProgQuest

I know. Thought it was odd back then too. Plus it was at an outdoor shed.

21. Say It Right

Back then, you never really knew when the next would be last!

Incidentally, does anybody know exactly where this report originated?

22. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I can only assume it would be Steven Wilson, though it's pretty weird that they'd be the opener; maybe it would be a co-headlining thing. there's no way they're going out with Yes or Hackett or any 70's prog rehashes. Obv. I'd love Roxy but that wont be it.

23. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Might Tool be going out again? Doubtful....

24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Not only did I imagine it, I saw it for real.

Attended the Tool show in Berkeley in 01, Crim opened. The crowd was there to see Tool obviously, but afterwards I overheard lots of praise for the opener. Unsurprisingly, the crowd near the front of the stage was difficult to play for.

Anyway, Tool was no less great than Crim. In the middle of their set, they did Disposition / Reflection / Triad, and in the middle of that, Fripp came out to add Soundscapes to the music – and was left alone to solo for what must have been 4-5 minutes! Not only was it musically satisfying, but pretty damn fearless in front of a rowdy crowd who was there strictly for Tool. And y'know what? – he sold it!

Don't do something you'll regret! Tool puts on an incredible show. On the other hand, if your preferences lean toward I Talk To The Wind, then yah, skip it. :laugh:

Three times (at these prices) seeing this Crim is enough for me, but if there really is a CrimTool tour, I'll cheerfully change my mind.

Jimbino, surfling and Dr. Mudd like this.
  25. DrProgQuest

I saw the 2001 Crim tour also but we got John Paul Jones, not Tool, and if memory serves, JPJ was the opener and Crim the headliner.

I like heavy blistering Crim just fine, as well as Epitaph type Crim, but for some reason the prog metal of both Tool and DreamTheater never took root for me. A lot of chops and dazzle but not much substance imo. Maybe worth a shot live but I can't see Crim redoing a 2001 double bill. We'll see.

TFEC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.