King Crimson 2019 Celebration Tour (50 years)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

2001 King Crimson was a suitable opener for Tool. 2020 King Crimson not so much, in my opinion...

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Saw that one too. The Tool double bill was a short segment of the larger just-Tool tour. Maybe 6-8 shows. JPJ was outstanding. And arguably the best Crim show I ever saw.

Acknowledged.

Yeah, the recent retrospective Crim might not be the best match with Tool, upon reflection.

I'd still recommend Tool without reservation. I saw Dream Theatre once (Systematic Chaos?), and they were very good, but I have to admit there's considerably less appeal there for me these days.

Blame it on John Zorn.

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Crimson Project (ABPT + Stick Men) did a summer tour opening for Dream Theater.

peskypesky likes this.
  4. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

This is my concern: I saw Tool quite a bit between 1992-1998, and it was a frustrating run. The Tool audience wasn't exactly the most open minded, and I would tell Tool fans constantly to give KC a chance and they were (for the most part) dismissive. Every time I would see "Lollapalooza" style alt-rock giants like Tool, Rage Against the Machine, RHCP, Pearl Jam; they were great at having openers that were influential on the respective bands, but weren't accepted by the fans who were only there to see them.

It made sense for the double duo than any other lineup, but for the current band (which I prefer) they aren't just playing prog-metal. Not to mention tickets for Tool shows get swallowed up in a matter of seconds for Tool alone, so if you are a KC fan it will be harder than ever to see them with a crowd who may not appreciate them as much.

But I guess that is what KC is going for. Their fans got to see them for the past few years and they are looking to expand. Maybe they see current Tool fans as having matured I guess, but to me they seem to be as young as they were back in the day. Not many of my friends see them nowadays for different reasons: price, availability of tickets, schedule, growing older, not in the mood to be pushed and shoved by kids...

But when I saw KC in 1995 and an older adult asked my friends and I how we heard of them, some folks around me said they read about KC in interviews with members of Tool, The Rollins Band, Nirvana, and Primus. So I guess I understand their strategy. Its just another tour that I will have to miss out on.

Billy Infinity and gd0 like this.
  5. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Unless, I am wrong because I did not get the latest intel but at the moment it is pure speculation that KC will be touring with Tool.

Music Geek likes this.
  6. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Crim in the early 2000s when they toured with Tool/Living Colour etc were playing in smallish club venues that held 1500-2500, at least where I saw them. These latest tours the last few years have been in much larger nicer theaters, thus they are already selling more tickets to bigger crowds.
    I don't know what kind of venues Tool is playing in lately, but if they are going to play shorter sets in smaller venues, some possibly standing only venues, with less tix available for Crimson fans, I'm not sure how that greatly expands your fanbase.

Plus, are they really that concerned about "expanding their fanbase" after 50 years when they are probably not going to be touring that much longer? They are already an iconic brand with a dedicated fanbase. Also, a shorter opening set probably means more of a "hits" type setlist, meaning the more obvious songs. If that's the plan, I see that going backwards and not moving forward, but I realize I'm speculating.

7. Say It Right

Yeah, it's not set in stones. Besides, as the link to their side indicated, Tool just did a NA sweep. It may be all that they're doing.

8. Music Geek

I was joking when I said that they would tour with Roxy Music but I am serious when I say that touring with any metal band would be totally misguided.
    Maybe they can do a shared tour with Steve Hackett or one of the many Yes permutations or Steven Wilson but I really don't see what benefit they would get from playing to the Tool fans.

9. Jochen

Jochen Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel is overdue for a tour....Tony can do double duty....I'm in! :kilroy:

10. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

touring as an opener would be odd, but it would be the pointed stick of playing to unconverted masses so there’s that. To me, I’d prefer they stick to solo headlining and playing 2.5+ hour sets, just migrate to bigger venues as a pointed stick. Will be curious to see what they do!

Also, preordered the Sid smith book from inner knot - update from 11/20 newsletter was that they were expecting them to ship from Europe soon....here’s hoping mine is in for Christmas!

11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Steven Wilson's last US tour dates were booked into venues that were fairly comparable in size to the venues that KC has been performing in over the past few years (unless I am mistaken). Makes sense as an appealing musical package but not really from an 'expanding the audience' perspective.

Say It Right likes this.
  12. Music Geek

I don't really see the point of "expanding the audience" for a band in its 51st year of existence. It sounds almost like a joke.

FillmoreGuy and boboquisp like this.
  13. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Mine was shipped on December 9th and I have preordered it around mid-November, maybe yours will be shipped in the not too far distant future.

kenticus likes this.
  14. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Honestly, what will happened with DGM when the band stop touring? Dont forget Mr. Singleton has not reached his 60th birthday yet. They are looking to expanded their fan base.

15. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Steven Wilson will be touring next September in Europe in big arena .

More info Steven Wilson - The Future Bites Tour 2020

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Maybe they're getting the sense that old fans are not buying reissues as much as before. It's possible Mr Fripp thinks it'd be nice to still be selling a few more CDs and vinyl (and streams! and downloads!) once he's retired from touring.

17. Say It Right

Hackett would be appropriate, but he'd be the opening act for KC.

18. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

And just like that, my shipping notice came in today! Will be glad to give it a good read in a few days!

KCLizard likes this.
  19. Say It Right

Anybody read the Bruford impression of the current Crimson? :D

4 Questions for Drummer and Author Bill Bruford

20. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Having seen the current Crimson lineup five times since 2014 I can't agree with Bruford's assessment. There are plenty of onstage dynamics between the players. There is a lot of improvisation though it's not always easily evident as the band is so in sync with one another. And I've never seen Fripp as 'relaxed' (for Fripp) as he is with this group. And, yes, the music has a pulse.
    Crimson has a such a diverse body of work to draw from that it never gets old.
    For me, the mid-70's lineup was the most adventurous and intense. But, the current lineup is a composed of incredible musicians who have found a way to challenge each other and themselves on a nightly basis. Perhaps just not in the way Bill Bruford would do it.

21. gd0

Peter Gabriel and King Crimson strikes me as a great show. If it has to be a two-fer.

The downside is that it likely means bigger venues, poorer sightlines, even higher ticket prices.

And worst of all, shortened setlists.

I'll assume the worst, that this is a business decision, likely originated by managers rather than artists. Jeff Beck's been doing more than a few shared bills in the last few years, when I'd much rather he was the lone act.

Advancing age could be a factor, and I can hardly begrudge them; it's not like they haven't been feeding us imaginative, forward-thinking music for half a century.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  22. gd0

Eh, Bruford enjoys throwing some shade in interviews; he's done it for years.

His dry description of the goings-on isn't so far off the mark. It is something of a modern classical ensemble. With drums from Hell. Hell, Bruf himself contributed tons of those "complex metrical machinations that prevent feet from tapping" in his day. He knows the audience knows where the pulse is, and that they're into it.

23. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Bruf's comments are interesting and amazingly detailed. I do agree with a lot of it. I remember the first time I saw the 3 drummer setup thinking it was odd they were in front and thus couldn't see anyone--especially Fripp--behind them. And he's right about the classical recital type atmosphere. It is very controlled. I still loved the 4 shows I've seen of this version the last 5 years, and accepted the limitations. The music is performed so well that outweighs the static setup and lack of casual "looseness". Bruf is coming at it from a more jazz improv type of view, I get that.

24. Say It Right

Also from PhD perspective!

25. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

basically reads like a very academic answer, so makes sense from him.

he mentions lack of cameras or something to show closeups....perhaps he’s not aware of the radical action or meltdown releases, which reveal a lot of the communication and winks and nods that occur onstage.

while pieces are more structured than perhaps in the past, anyone playing a solo is typically improvising, changing said solo up nightly. The drums as well do improvise fills, albeit within a tight structure. It’s a radically different band than when Bruford was in it, but then again the only constant in this band is change, and change is good! Curious to see what 2020 brings - the documentary? Live in Rome 2018 which was also delayed? We shall see!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.