King Crimson 2020 Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Oh wow.

So sorry to hear that.

2. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Fripps wife had a touching tribute as well:
    Bill Rieflin 1960-2020 — TOYAH

Listening to 21st century schizoid man live from Nagoya 21 December 2018.....blessed that the last song from the last show Bill ever played with King Crimson is available for download from DGM. His contributions to the band might not get noticed by the average punter, but listen in and you’ll hear him adding his fairy dust and extra noise stuff. On that recording, you can make out his keys playing sticking out in the mix towards the end of Mel’s solo. IMO if I was them I would mix bills final show and get it out there into the world as a tribute to the guy! Thanks for the tunes bill!

was lucky to actually meet him at the Milwaukee 2017 show - he was not performing on that leg of the tour but had come out for the last show. I was getting up to go to the bathroom before the show and he was walking to the backstage - my seats were by the stage door so also said hey to David Singleton. Didn’t actually speak to bill, just saw him walking my direction, made eye contact with the guy, and politely said “bill?” He just nodded, winked, took a bite of an apple and walked on by to the stage door. Seemed like a nice, well-liked chap and I appreciated him even acknowledging me. God speed!

MungoMusic, ytserush, ARK and 5 others like this.
  3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

4. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Good old Roger (Waters) just psotponed his THIS IS NOT A DRILL tour until next year.
    Roger Waters - This is Not a Drill Tour 2020

I would be extremely surprised if this is not the fate of KC 2020 tour.

Here in Montreal, nothing will start until end of June cos no one can visit Canada before end of June.... so keep your ticket for 2021 or for a refund.

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I may be the only person on our fair planet who has spent this Shelter in Place Sunday stringing together all five studio recording parts of the Larks' Tongues in Aspic suite so I can take in the entire work in one fell swoop. I included "Coda" since Part IV segues directly into it, but I edited out the minute of silence that concludes it in favor of an immediate start to Part V/Level Five. Now I just hope that maybe one day, when concerts return with audiences in attendance, we'll get to hear King Crimson play the entire thing from end to end. :agree:

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

So how much satisfying it is listening to it in one go?

I thought about doing it for years but never really brought this idea to the finish line.

7. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

I'd always imagined that "The Talking Drum" and "No Warning" would be included in a such a mega-suite, but will confess I haven't tried. I think the Larks IV Coda would be worthy of inclusion, but would have to be a live intro version like Nashville 2001.

Jimbino and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  8. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Yes, another Crim fan suggested that, but I'd put a "studio version" parameter on the project, so a little bit of vocal made it in.

Overall, the suite is very heavy and dynamic, and to see this seven-piece band (RIP, Bill) take this challenge on would really be a thrill. I watched half of Meltdown last night and this particular lineup is one of the greatest musical aggregations I've ever seen. :righton: I hope we'll get the tour - not particularly optimistic but who knows... And then perhaps they will take on Larks' in its entirety! :laugh:

~dave~~wave~, TFEC and jacethecrowl like this.
  9. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

Never thought about No Warning but there's no way I wouldn't include The Talking Drum in a Larks' suite

footlooseman likes this.
  10. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to disc 2 of the 2017 elements of king crimson which looks like an attempt to capture all of Larks right from part 1, take 1 (but not A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls). Some demo, some live, so not all ‘studio versions’ but worth a listen

2-1 Form No. 1 3:00
    2-2 THRAK 7:18
    2-3 Keep That One Nick (Edit Section) 5:17
    2-4 Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part I (Live 2015) 10:34
    2-5 Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part II (Live 1974) 6:15
    2-6 Keep That One Nick (Edit Section) 4:06
    2-7 Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part III (Live 1984) 5:11
    2-8 Keep That One Nick (Edit Section) 4:13
    2-9 Larks' IV ConstruKction 5:45
    2-10 Keep That One Nick (Edit Section) 1:53
    2-11 Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part IV (Live 2003) 10:11
    2-12 Level Five (Live 2016) 6:46
    2-13 Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Radio Advert) 0:27

11. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Good call on bringing this up - I haven't listened to that collection in a long time, and will need to give it an airing out. Thanks for the reminder! :wave:

12. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Norco74 and fishcane like this.
  13. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

14. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

This is what the planet wish at this time, but to no avail.... Maybe later in the year....

15. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I think the cancellation/delay announcement should be made soon.
    There's just no way they could play gigs in June.
    If things get better they could play some of the July gigs as scheduled, though.

16. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I really wouldn't put my hopes up for any bigger gigs before autumn, if that.
    Certainly not before lots more fast and reliable virus testing....

17. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

gonna assume it all gets canceled - no way the show goes on, and these 6 weeks were the only that the band members had available. For example, Gavin has pineapple thief in November/ December.

At this point, have to hope the court box still happens and that cosmic fukc doc FINALLY comes out. Have to assume / hope the doc happens by June given they’ve been filming since 2018.

18. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Not to put too cynical a light on things, but the longer money is invested before refunds need to be made... well, somebody's benefiting for sure, chaotic markets or not. Think of how much $$$ is tied up in Roger Waters' arena tour, now on hold until 2021. I'm expecting a "hang onto your tickets, while we hang on to your cash" email in the next few weeks. King Crimson, on the other hand, will likely have to start refunding in a month or two, before the show dates. This tour was kind of wedged into very specific parameters so rather than trying to postpone I'd imagine David S would see starting from scratch next year to be preferable with a fresh view of venues and time frames.

Let's just hope bands and fans alike make it through these next few weeks/months... :sigh:

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It's not cynical, it's the reality of things. But as long as ticket buyers are given the chance to get their refund should they want it, I have no problem with that.

Surely we've all noticed, though, how in recent years some tours/shows are put on sale many months and even a year in advance. That's not a casual occurrence.

Norco74 likes this.
  20. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I wonder if a 2020 Tour Box has been put into production.

21. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

undoubtedly. Imagine the tour cancellation HAS to happen soon but content like the tour box, at least the mixing and mastering and sequencing of the tracks is very much likely done. Physical production....maybe.

the court box I imagine will run into production delays just as it’s a boxed set.

tour box 2020: they could digital only release it.

live in Rome 2018: live album they’ve hinted at for more than a year now....could digital only release that. Would depend how much work had been done on it and if more is needed.

cosmic fukc: could do digital only which in theory would free them up of any time constraints of length of doc that physical distribution may hinder. Then again, they’ll prolly release it Blu Ray only.....still, have to imagine the plan was to release it in time to coincide with the tour. Plus we know it’s supposed to have a soundtrack of some kind which we’ve no details on yet!

those are all my entirely uneducated guesses!

jsb! likes this.
  22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Hold that phone!

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It’d be nice if they spent this unplanned off time recording a new studio album.

allbrosca likes this.
  24. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Gavin did a webcast the other day. It was beset by tech issues, but it was good seeing him for a while :)

25. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

If the 2020 boxes have already been manufactured, it would be great if we could order them even if the tour doesn't happen. Need to keep that set complete and up to date!

jsb! and allbrosca like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.