King Crimson 'Earthbound' expanded CD & DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

But they are mastered a bit less aggressively.

2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

So the Summit SQ is SB?

3. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Yes, soundboard. There is a stereo version and a quad version on the second disc. "The only surround live version of this band" or something like that in the marketing materials.

footlooseman likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The Summit Studio stuff is from multitracks. They have newly remixed it.

footlooseman likes this.
  5. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

There wasn't really much of anything that anyone could have done to clean up the SQ on this. Having said that, the performances still s**t all over almost anything by any other band.

6. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

This extended version of "The Creator Has a Master Plan" from Summit Studios has got to be the loosest performance ever recorded/performed by KC....They just keep noodling and noodling with no end in sight. I'm surprised RF allowed it to go on this long!

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I was excited to be getting the full version for the first time, but I could do without some of that scat singing! Otherwise, Summit Studios in quad is a a rare treat (The band actually sounds like they're having fun!) that stands in stark contrast to the take-no-prisoners live album that it accompanies here. . .

I've been really digging the new Earthbound. Granted, I have a strong stomach when it comes to sound quality if I'm grooning to some amazing performances. After having gained more perspective to accept this album for what it is--the first official bootleg release?--now the harsh audio quality actually seems to enhance the blistering sonic assault going on. Unlike the ornately drawn studio album that preceded it, Earthbound is the "hot date" to Islands' love letter, as Fripp would have it. As a unit, they were well road tested by this point, tight but funky. Fripp's nailing his signature sound now and you can even hear traces of what was to come with the new line up by the end of the year. Mel Collins is awesome throughout as you would imagine, though Ian Wallace steals the show at times, coming across a lot more powerfully and distinctively. I've gained more appreciation for their stabs at improvisation, both in individual jams and even within some of the proper tracks. The jam at the end of "Formentera Lady" and the improv break in "The Letters" were surprising and rich. The bonus tracks do a good job of extending the feel of the original while allowing them to stretch out more.

I'm glad that I've finally come around to embracing this, their first and most misunderstood live album. :cool:

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

36:36 to be exact. Astonishing really. Is this the longest King Crimson improv ever played?

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

jay.dee and yesstiles like this.
  10. Tristero

One of the funniest things about the Summit Studio performance is the way that the DJ guy keeps trying to draw the performance to a close, but the band just won't stop. Prior to "Creator", he's like "OK, this is really the end now. . ." and then they launch into a 36 minute improv jam. Can't keep a good Crimson down!

jay.dee, yesstiles and 93curr like this.
  11. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Fripp always the joker

12. Tristero

Bob "Chuckles" Fripp, as he's known in the trade. They all seem to be in unusually good spirits at the Summit Studios performance, despite whatever other problems they were having.

13. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Not too much discussion on this release, which I guess isn't all that surprising. :)

I am curious though ............ for anyone who did pick it up (or for anyone who has the "Sailors' Tales" box set),
    are the actual performances well chosen, in comparison to other performances that they could have chosen from the
    1972 "Earthbound" tour?

The inclusion of the full unedited "Summit Studios" session is also a big draw for me, since I have heard nothing but
    good reviews for that set, and do not yet own it.

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

... I'll always be bewildered by the Earthbound LP choices, but there was not a huge selection from which to choose. The "Schizoid Man" performance is undeniably pretty fierce and the bonus tracks added to the new expanded DVD sequence are also good. But I can see why they left out the stuff from Lizard and Poseidon, the band had moved on almost entirely from those albums by '72

That leaves the Islands songs (which were perhaps a little unsteady on their feet, most nights), "21CSM" and the improv tracks... so that's not a broad field from which to select

You do get more improv in the form of the "Schizoid Men" sequence included with the new set

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.