King Crimson - Happy 50th Anniversary !!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

June: Sid Smith's long out-of-print acclaimed biography, In the Court of King Crimson will bepublished in a revised, updated and expanded edition.

This book is currently expensive to buy, so I got a copy last year through inter-library loan. It’s a very informative book that really helped me to appreciate KC much more. I’m really interested in being able to buy a copy!

2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

This is going to be a very co$tly year.

3. So two box sets in October if I am reading this correctly? Wow!

4. ries

ries Forum Resident

So you get a complete 1969 recordings boxset and a new Court boxset? Shouldnt those 1969 recordings part of the Court boxset or am I missing something?

5. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Will the Tony Clarke sessions appear this time ?

6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I actually just got the deluxe edition for the first album for Christmas.

Crazy to think how far they've come since then.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY, KING CRIMSON!

[​IMG]

The band was formed exactly 50 years ago today in the Fulham Palace Café, London in 1969. To celebrate the 50th anniversary, we have a year-long series of events planned.

Starting today, on King Crimson’s birthday, DGM will be releasing 50 rare or unusual tracks from the archives. These tracks will be released online one per week for the remaining 50 weeks of 2019. Each track will be introduced by a commentary from David Singleton, King Crimson manager, and producer. The first release - 21st Century Schizoid Man radio edit from 1991 - is now live on DGMLive, Youtube, Spotify, iTunes, and other major digital outlets.

12 of the covers from this series will also be released as a series of 50th anniversary T-shirts.

King Crimson will also be performing 50 concerts in their 2019 Celebration tour – playing in the UK, France, Germany, Poland, Holland, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Mexico, USA, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Chile. Tickets available from DGMLive.

In October, to coincide with the original release date of 12th October 1969, we will be releasing a new Limited edition expanded boxed set of “In The Court of The Crimson King” including all the live recordings, the expanded multitrack 1969 recording sessions, as well as a new 5.1 remix of the album. This will be accompanied by the DGM Companion Vol 1, edited by Robert Fripp & David Singleton. A vinyl sized coffee table book covering the history of “In The Court of The Crimson King”, with a complete timeline, extensive photos, recollections, and essays.

There is also the first official King Crimson documentary – “Cosmic F*Kc” - directed by Toby Amies, who has been given unique access to the current band as well as interviews with past members and archive footage.

Oh! And limited edition actual size silkscreen prints of the two paintings by Barry Godber, cover and inner sleeve, from “In The Court of the Crimson King”.

A great time to be a fan of King Crimson. Watch this space!

8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Heaven & Earth - Autobuy.
    If CC48 has decent balances - Autobuy.
    Many of the digital downloads - Autobuy
    Sid Smiths book - Autobuy.

Will probably pass over the other stuff since i am covered enough in these areas.

jacethecrowl likes this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Could just be a recycle of the one he did for the 40th anniversary set.

10. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

So much to digest in this post!

Will buy Heaven & Earth. Love ConstruKction and Power to Believe.
    I've wanted Sid's book for years, can't wait to buy an affordable copy.

Wish the tour was somewhere near me. Gotta see them one last time at the very least. Saw the 2014 and the 2017 tour.

11. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Gonna grab Heaven and Earth, vinyl Beat and TooPP and Smith's book. I will see about ITKotKC box set. Depends on the tracklist and price tag.

12. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just in - complete 1969 recordings box and the Court box are the same.
    Just two boxes this year.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    ries likes this.
  13. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Did you get that from DGM directly?

14. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

15. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. From Alex.

Jimbino and ries like this.
  16. ries

ries Forum Resident

thankful that I finally can get my hands on a Court boxset, missed out on the 40th. Wonder if there will be overlap with the 40th?Also curious if this sets the stage for possible 50th reissues of the Starless/Red boxsets (or when they sell out)

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Looking forward to the Court box, very much so to the H&E set and the new Larks era gig.

Thats a lot of Crimson for 2019...or any year.

18. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I love that I've read this piece of news in like 5 threads so far.

Jimbino and opiumden like this.
  19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

We're all terribly excited about it. :goodie::drool:

20. van1

van1 Forum Resident

"Oct: Complete 1969 Recordings CD/DVD-a/Blu-Ray set – completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums on Blu-Ray"

The quote from DGM states that the 'Court' release is to bring the super deluxe box set in line with the other box sets, containing blu ray and many studio out-takes / live discs. The original 'Court' box only had 5 cds and a dvd.

Can't see 50th releases for other extensive 40th anniversary box sets, even if a couple of things are found such as the Larks era Newcastle live recording. Stranger things have happened though when money rears it's head... I could see a re-press of the other box sets if there is a related demand from the 50th anniversary but none of the other box sets seem to be unavailable yet (at least from Amazon / ebay)

ries and JediJoker like this.
  21. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Sid's book and the DGM Companion Vol. 1 book will be automatic purchases for me the minute they are available.

My enthusiasm for the limited edition box of "In The Court Of The Crimson King" is almost boundless; it is tempered only by the failure (thus far) to resolve the issue of the glitches on the two CDs in the "Sailors' Tales" box. Notwithstanding all the great things we get from DGM at reasonable prices (and with many freebies thrown in on a regular basis) this has been on the back burner rather too long.

22. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

very excited for just about all of this (well I can take or leave t-shirts and prints but icing on the cake).

only thing I am wondering is 50 shows seems not that many for the areas they are talking about covering might mean I have some traveling and if I do end up going to LA they have been on sale awhile might be hard ot get good seats.

announce the dates!

ermylaw likes this.
  23. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Toronto September 14th.
    Budweiser Stage.
    The VIP package is 365.00 U.S.Dollars.
    Too steep for me but definitely will be buying a ticket to the show.
    Pre sale on Tuesday.
    Wednesday Live Nation pre sale.
    Anyone know a code to use?

24. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

We are called King Crimson

[​IMG]

50 years ago on this date, Greg, Bob, Pete, Mike, and Ian decided to name their new band King Crimson.

Momentous days are filled with mundane activities rather than any lightning bolt epiphanies. Thus Ian McDonald records in his dairy for January 22nd 1969 that he got up at three in the afternoon and washed his hair.

After picking up Peter Sinfield and a plugboard the pair drove to the Fulham Palace Road café for a rehearsal with Greg, Bob and Mike. Sometime after 10.00, Ian had dropped Bob off home and went on to a friends place to hang out and listen to some sounds on the John Peel show. It was after 4.00 a.m. in the morning by the time he got back home, an unremarkable, fairly typical day in the life of this young musician.

Almost as an afterthought, he adds to his diary, “looks as though we are called ‘King Crimson,’” the very first time the name appears in McDonald’s journal of the time.

[​IMG]

The Ole' Rocker, apesfan, Mbe and 3 others like this.
  25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I broke down, took the plunge and bought a
    Celebration Ticket !!!
    My wife’s 65th
    Our 20th wedding anniversary.
    The Celebration Package.
    Shaping up to be an eventful year!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.