King Crimson - Happy 50th Anniversary !!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Popped on the VIP Royal Package at the Ryman Auditorium, Nashville immediately yesterday. Very excited! and so thankful for the date.. Atlanta beckons, would normally be a no brainer.. but health issues continue. Really want to go both nights, as I feel this could realistically be the final Crimson performances to see. I hope that I'm wrong..
    King Crimson at the Ryman is a must see .. I'm overdue on a trip to Nashville, always a blast.

We are called KING CRIMSON

oboogie, van1, gillcup and 1 other person like this.
  2. Maranatha5585

3. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Is there any indication on how much additional 1969 material there is, that can be "expanded" upon with this second box? I have the first big ITCOTKC box, I always felt it was a little lightweight and sparse compared to the other glorious box set editions that followed, but how much extra stuff is there really going to be, that isn't on that first box? Any guesses? Anyone have any inkling?

asdf35 and Tyler Chastain like this.
  4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Wait a second. Gordon Haskell signed that box. Weren't his parts replaced on that set?

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Multitracks. It's the 'complete sessions', so there will likely be individual 8-track instrument stems for each song (kind of like they did for "Like a Rolling Stone" on that Bob Dylan Cutting Edge superbox)

asdf35 and Percy Song like this.
  6. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Didn't somebody win that as a prize, and it featured all KC members and previous members at the time of signing, save one? Or something like that?

I don't see Pat Mastellotto's signature on it, unless I'm blind. Is he the missing signer?

7. Maranatha5585

Exactly .. As stated, every one (at the time) with the exception of Muir signed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Wonder why Muir "wouldn't" sign it? o_O

9. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]

He had no problem signing Sid Smith's book...

10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Got tickets for the Cleveland show with an eye on possibly extending my little KC vacation to include Nashville and Atlanta too. Shows are right in the thick of my quarter end though, so may have to settle on a one off this time.

Say It Right likes this.
  11. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I just missed out on a signed copy when I visited the Helter Skelter shop in London. I had to be content with an unsigned copy which is still in my collection. I am looking forward to the revised edition later this year.

rikki nadir and Maranatha5585 like this.
  12. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Ack! I just picked up the Remaster of Red a couple weeks ago. Its my favorite from the 72-74 period, so I can be content with that for a while...

I did grab the "Road to Red" set last year. I had no choice, I had to do it ...

OK, and given the material, I just pulled the trigger on the Sailor's Tales box set.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  13. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

CLUB48 will be a recently discovered board recording of the concert in Newcastle on 8th December 1972 by the complete Larks Tongues in Aspic line-up before Jamie Muir left the band.

Way to bury the lede here!

I will buy as much of this as I can; especially excited about Heaven & Earth. Will pass on the Sid Smith book (I have a copy) and the 72-74 box; might have to pass on the Court box unless October is an especially good month on Discogs or something.

Tempted to attend the Chicago show but even reasonable ticket prices become a major expense when factoring in travel, hotel, etc.

asdf35 likes this.
  14. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

".....revised, updated and expanded", though. I imagine it will be significantly expanded.

oboogie and Maranatha5585 like this.
  15. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Hmm, you're probably right. That might be enough to persuade me.

16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The only known extant recording of the 1969 King Crimson song Trees (released on KCCC 1, Live at The Marquee) is from a 17 October 1969 concert at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon. The quality is appalling, but the beauty of the song can still be made out through the layers of audio grime..

The headliners that evening were The Nice, who recorded their own set for use in their 1970 Five Bridges album.

Now wouldn't it be, er, nice if someone had started recording a little earlier and captured the whole gig complete with the support act?

Sigh.

asdf35 and Kalli like this.
  17. Percy Song

I wonder if they ever recorded a long version of the song... :)

18. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

KC50 has been going really well, but this week's The Mincer/Law of Maximum Distress is the best so far imo. I'd go so far as to say I wish it had been on S&BB!

lschwart likes this.
  19. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

This is a dangerous place.

MikeM., NumberEight and Kalli like this.
  20. Percy Song

You can say that again! Just three weeks in and I'm completely hooked. Including the DS spoken introductions to the featured KC50 tracks is a genius move; the story of "The Mincer" is wonderful.

21. Percy Song

We all know where to find them, but just to keep a record:-

22. Percy Song

I think my wallet is going to suffer from the law of maximum distress this year....:)

23. Percy Song

Cheevyjames and Maranatha5585 like this.
  24. Maranatha5585

@Percy Song ~ Some of us stand on our heads for King Crimson :D

Percy Song likes this.
  25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Great news! I hope they share info on how it was "recently discovered."

Still holding on to hope for a "recently discovered" board recording from right after Jamie Muir left. (No offense to Muir)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.