King Crimson - Happy 50th Anniversary !!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

2. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

March 13 is a nice complement to Summit Studio having Formentera Lady and a couple of songs they didn‘t play the day before. In Orlando they where probably a bit erratic.

There are two things about this line up dislike: Scatting Boz, and Drum Solo with effect. Else it‘s sometimes my favourite Crimson incarnation!

NumberEight and jay.dee like this.
  3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Finally broke into my annual $500 DGMLive download credit and started to grab a few new shows. This is my 3rd year with the 1000 club, so you can imagine that after the last $1,000 worth of downloads from years 1-2, plus all the mega box sets, there is only so much new or otherwise new to me material left.

After much digging into the Timeline for downloadable shows, and cross referencing of my list of shows I already have, I found 5 that all look to have been added in the second half or so of last year (after I had already blown through my download credits).

1973.05.04 Rome
    1973.09.20 Montreal
    1973.09.23 Boston
    1974.05.04 Hamilton
    1984.06.26 New York

So that makes for some good times for me. I've played through the May 4 1973 Rome show twice so far and am very pleased with it. Sound is of the not bad audience variety, although do bear in mind that I am pretty flexible in my tolerance of audience sourced recordings. Good setlist with a rare Dr Diamond to start off, plus 3 separate Improv pieces totaling out over 20 minutes. Improv III in particular caught my attention.

So far I have not touched the other 4 shows, but will be trolling trough them over the rest of the week I'm sure.

Zongadude, TFEC, Vaughan and 2 others like this.
  4. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Any views on the vinyl box sets yet....

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I miss that era of my life when 10 years seemed like a long time. :laugh:

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This is wonderful news!

Frankly, I've never thought that the 40th anniversary mixes were the "ultimate". Far from it.
    Steven Wilson IMPROVED A LOT ever since.

I have great hopes for these 50th anniversary mixes. Glad he did stereo as well!

To this day, IMHO, there's no definitive version on CD

:wave:

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Okay, I will buy the new Court.

But it's the last time I buy this album, Fripp. And don't you be starting thinking about 50th editions of Larks or Red too, okay? Behave yourself.

9. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:biglaugh:
    :laughup:

Unfortunately, it will happen once again. The whole catalogue remixed for the 50th. :biglaugh:

10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Shush, dammit! :laugh:

11. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I have been trying to locate the live downloads on DGMLive ever since they revamped the site, so yes, years now ! Could a kind soul point me in the right direction ?

asdf35 likes this.
  12. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

And here I thought the 40th anniversary stereo remix was a good one!

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  13. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Who remembers the 5th of August 1969 when Twink (Mohammed Abdullah John Alder), Syd Barrett, Mick Farren, Steve Peregrin Took and Iggy the Eskimo, high on a cocktail of Champagne and Mandrax gatecrashed the King Crimson launch party at the Speakeasy?

tedhead, Kalli and asdf35 like this.
  14. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Assuming others agree, can we all flood the DGM forum with requests to change the website back to a more useful layout?

I still get a headache looking for shows. Many have escaped my notice. The old pages were very easy to grasp and navigate.

15. Bill Cormier

OK, could you help a brother out here then ?? :)

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I won't pretend it's the most intuitive website ever created, but it's not the impenetrable labyrinth some make it out to be.

Go to the Tour Dates page and play with the tools I've isolated here. You can search by band, date, location. There's no "download" page per se, but shows with down-pointing arrows are downloads.

[​IMG]

17. Bill Cormier

OK I really appreciate it !!

gd0 likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

50 years WOW! still love ITCOTCK...

apesfan and Paper Wizard like this.
  19. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

There is also a filter on the right hand side of the page where you can view only the shows that are available as downloads, rather than the entirety of the tour dates.

Zongadude and seasonsinthesky like this.
  20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Honesty, I think it's a pretty good one, but it lacks that IT thing. That special ingredient that makes a mix special. It does feel like a mix generated from a guy in a studio with computers. Lacks warmth and analog feel

Later Steven did make wonderful mixes, but at the time of the Court 40th Anniversary, it was an somewhat early stage to him for mixes. So he was still learning and it shows

I have high hopes for these new 5oth anniversary mixes

:righton:

21. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Then I wonder if Lizard (also a 2009-vintage remix) will get a do-over.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Another remix of the debut album? Why?
    Hadn't the one done in 2009 been given the thumbs up? :whistle:

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I honestly don't think that the Lizard 5.1 mix could be improved upon, but if they were going to try, they likely would have done it with the Sailor's Tales set.

KDubATX likes this.
  24. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

Anyone else going to attend the tour? Most of the dates are listed on DGMLive, but did anyone catch this bit of the Pat Mastelotto interview?

by October will be heading south to Brazil to play Sao Paulo and also the Rock in Rio Festival (my first time), then on down to Argentina and then up and over to Chile for the final gig in mid October.

Guess I'm going CHI-CHI-CHI-LE-LE-LE

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I didn't know they were coming back to Argentina! I hope they play in a good theatre. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.