King Crimson Jan - Oct 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I just did a purchase on the mentioned Paris show. It's marvellous! Thanks for pointing that one out. These early 73' recordings provide an interesting view into the KCrim experimental laboratory of that period. I hope the recordings of the above given YouTube snippets will make their way to DGM as well to get the same treatment. They do a pretty good job on restorations and those are quite good already.

penguinzzz likes this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Have there been any rumblings about trying to cobble together a CD box of at least some of this material? I know I could buy the digital downloads but I can't do flacs and I'd rather not spend ~$10 a show on mp3s of uncertain quality. I mean, they released the Lark's box and some of that sounded like the microphones were in a phone booth somewhere in the asteriod belt (not that I begrudge it at all, as the playing is phenomenal). But there's also some fantastic playing and some very important change in the air in the first 9 months of '73 and we get but a drip or drab on the Starless curios disc. Even a modest box with four of the best quality shows would really fill an important gap. I guess not having an album to support this doesn't help the cause, but I'd be all in.

Any thoughts, even random speculation supported by nothing other than one's own curiosity would be appreciated if, in the end, not terribly informative. :D

jay.dee likes this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have been going through my KC cd/boxes etc collection and yes there is a real lack of 1973 until later in the year. I am fortunate and have an Oppo so playing flacs on the hi fi is easy. I just bought the Paris 73 and will get others in due course.
    I have no idea if DGM will do another physical release - I guess it would have to be cd (could use cassettes and try and get some of the hipster market!) but I really do not know if the economics would work out. I am a fan of this old 70s Crimson and only have a fraction of the post Discipline and onwards material (the Discipline box is great) and they are a currently working and touring band with another modern live release coming out soon.

Archtop likes this.
  4. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

5. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

^ Thank you. I'm having some difficulty using my 1000 Club allowance and this helps. I wish DGM would make some complete shows from the last few years available.

Jimbino and Kalli like this.
  6. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

:agree:

7. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

8. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I attended the 10/15/73 show at Santa Monica Civic. I can attest that 45 years and hundreds of shows later that this was indeed a mind-blowing experience. They were just so sharp it could not be believed. Still a top 10 concert for me. John Wetton about blew the roof off the place. Bruford skittering around between percussion racks and kit. Just mind-blowing. Strawbs opened. They were very good as well.

Curious that the following June at the Shrine Auditorium, they were fairly wretched. I guess the tensions in the band were taking their tolls.

Kalli and jay.dee like this.
  9. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

10. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

jay.dee likes this.
  11. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Around the time of the Starless or Road To Red boxes, DGM said they would consider a "best of the remaining bootlegs" box "if there was enough demand" - presumably based on the 1973 and 1974 download sales. (I think there's about 8 1974 audience tapes not yet released.).

More recently they mentioned there probably wouldn't be a Mr. Stormy Vol. 9 set since all the tracks already have a FLAC option now. Then again, Vol. 1 has just been released on CD ...

12. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

The resurrected Collectors Club series would be the best outlet for any outstanding shows (as well as the highlights exclusively available in the big boxes) to release on CD.

Kalli likes this.
  13. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Reading through how thin the remaining recordings are reminds me to be thankful for the great box sets we did get.

14. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Now that's a shame. They could very well do a Volume 9 anyway, it's more convenient to download all of them at once (and it kinda looks more like 'an album' that way ;) ).

Timjosephuk likes this.
  15. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

There has been mention of a Newcastle late '72 mixing desk tape having been found and being prepared for Collector's Club release....it was in the DGM news at the start of the year IIRC.

Timjosephuk and Jimbino like this.
  16. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Don’t miss out Düsseldorf. Improv I has some classical stile violin parts towards the end which stand in beautiful contrast with the heavy rhythm sequences - quite different and unique. Improv II starts in Trio style until it’s taken away by Brufords snare roll, Wetton is not far away and the tune meanders on and on beautifully altering with great dynamic. Clearly one of my personal highlights of this period.

Tristero likes this.
  17. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.