King Crimson - Next Box Set Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I used a big chunk of my $500 annual download credit to pull the US and Japan ConstruKction of Light tours, so I anticipate a box set covering 2000 with possible inclusions of ProjeKcts material from late 90s and Live 2001 tour material leading up to Power to Believe. They could also include PTB studio material and 2003 tour as well. That will ensure I am re-purchaisng the largest possible percentage of material on the box set. Same exact dynamic from last year when I downloaded all the 72 live material with my 1000 Club credit only to have a reasonable chunk of it pop up on the Sailor's box at the end of the year.

Phoenician likes this.
  3. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Really hope that is indeed the next box plan. ProjeKcts through '03 would be an instabuy for me.

GregK likes this.
  4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

In the Court will get the Blu Ray/box treatment for 2019 and very possibly Exposure, as well.

5. Some recently unearthed live soundboards from ‘69 would be nice, thank you very much, like the Kinetic Playground show.

asdf35 and Max Florian like this.
  6. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

The Frippertronics shows I saw in San Francisco went from soundscapes (which I do not need a box of) to very intense soloing, the likes of which have never been released.

Max Florian likes this.
  7. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind a set of Soundscapes. From Fripp solo shows though. Not the intro pieces from KC shows.

ponkine likes this.
  8. King Crimson - A Collection of Great Dance Songs

9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It is indeed found?

10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

How about a box set of all the box sets?

11. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Don’t you mean “colleKCtion?”

12. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Wow. Are you saying soundboards, plural? I'd appreciate any info on this or anything tangentially related. That would be amazing.

13. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Hmm...I'll wait and see the content and price before committing. I passed on the last box as it is a period of KC that I don't enjoy, and this falls into that same category. I'd like to hear Power to Believe in 5.1, and *maybe* an alternate version of ConstruKction of Light as has been rumored but I can't see myself getting excited about a huge set of the live stuff....had the ProjeKct 4cd box and gave it to a friend, ditched the Heavy ConstruKction set years ago....just didnt really feel like the band was KC, they didn't fire on all cylinders....like that 71-72 band....grasping for something that was beyond their reach.

14. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Yep, they are planning to release at least 4+1 box sets:

There are currently four box sets being worked on that have been announced by DGM or their close associates:
    1) One covering the 2000-2003 era (of which we know that one of its features would be a "remix/remake/remodel" version of TCOL called Re-ConstruKction of Light, a rework by Pat Mastelotto with aid from Markus Reuter).
    2) One called "The Road to 1981", which would cover Robert Fripp's work from 1977 (when he started to work on Exposure) all the way until right before the formation of the Discipline band. It would include Exposure and the related albums from the era.
    3) One covering the activities by Sunday All Over The World/Fripp-Fripp/Toyah & Fripp from the late 1980s to the early 1990s.
    4) A Guitar Craft box set. No contents have been revealed.
    Plus, the update of the box set for Court of the Crimson King in time for the 50th Anniversary of that band.
    Note that all the above boxes, with the exception of the Court one, have not been dated. There is no firm sequence in which they will be released.

This was posted on 23 April on the wall of the Facebook group: "King Crimson Italia", which is one of the best sources on KC stuff at the moment. They say Singleton was the original source.

Runicen, Say It Right, DPM and 2 others like this.
  15. Say It Right

The information shared through online sources is nice and all, but the direct method is still the best. Mine came directly from David Singleton during the Royal Package in Austin. So, yeah, these others (Guitar Craft, Toyah/Fripp) would have more limited reach. He admitted that the distributors were, for the first time, were less than enthusiastic about the Sailors Tales box set.

van1 and seasonsinthesky like this.
  16. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

A couple of group administrators are friends with Fripp (Alessandro Staiti wrote a couple of books on him). They even got Royal Package tickets for free for the two shows in Albany. It's a reliable source.

I'm surprised about the Sailors' Tales box set. What was the issue there exactly?

17. Sorry, didn’t mean to get anyone’s hopes up! This is just wishful thinking on my part, coupled with a memory of RF’s praise for the Kinetic Playground gig.

asdf35 likes this.
  18. Say It Right

No need to explain. It's just more interesting to learn first hand than from FB. That is all.

Not surprising at all. Just that it held more limited appeal than the previous sets.

19. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Also the forthcoming box sets don't sound too appealing, apart from the one covering the 2000/2003 era.

GregK likes this.
  20. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

i agree. i've been waiting for the 97-2003 set since this series started (I was so disappointed last year when they announced Sailors Tales instead!), but the rest I will pass on.

21. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I've got a big bucket-full of live Crim. I've also got an empty wallet.

So I've gotta vet the$e big boxes carefully. Narrowed down to 3 must-haves. My priorities are unheard/unreleased material, 5.1, good-sounding live shows, hi-res. I don't intend to collect every Crim concert in existence.

I've got the Thrak Box; it's indispensable. Starless Box is an obvious choice; waiting to find a discount somewhere, should stay in print for a long time. And Re-ConstruKction would be my choice if I could only have one; tied with Larks' for Best Crim Ever. Probably get that one on Day Of Release.

I'd consider a 77-81 box if it's loaded; ie, Queen/Manners, Power in 5.1 and stereo.

22. I don’t know if this would be next in line, but It would be great to have a comprehensive Court box that includes everything from the era in one package. Having it on a Blu Ray would be nice as well. I’m a fan of the way SW included instrumental versions of all the songs in the Yes releases- It would be cool to have these for Court.

I find that I keep coming back to these boxes over and over. It’s an embarrassment of riches! (But I’m happy for more).

Electric Sydney likes this.
  23. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

I'd be on this in a heartbeat, but I suspect the demand isn't there for a big box (besides us two).

The album they released could do with a complete remix (and a re-think). The live LP was much better and more representative, there must be outtakes from that.
    Beyond that they could put on all the soundboards from DGM, but while I love the band I'm not sure the improvs differed enough from night to night to warrant it.

24. Robin Redbreast

Robin Redbreast Well-Known Member

*bump* [apologies if there is another thread about the upcoming next KC megabox]

There doesn’t seem to be much speculation about this. I’m hoping for an official announcement early next month...

Anyone here heard anything else? Is there a likelihood that it will feature the shows that make up The ProjeKcts set? I really want the latter but I’m holding off tracking it down until I can be sure it won’t be subsumed within the bigger 1997-2003 box.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i just want the last couple of albums done in 5.1 .... exposure in 5.1 would be a nice bonus too!

seasonsinthesky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.