King Crimson - Next Box Set Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Certainly no one has said as much from DGM, and as you say, they requested fan accounts of shows from 1997 through 2003 (here if anyone wants to see it). I definitely hope it's the case, since I'd consider the last show of 2003 the formal end of what began in the ProjeKcts: specifically, the final performance of The Deception of the Thrush, a through-line across almost all of this box.

I suppose the feeling is that the prevailing information so far hasn't said a word about post-TCOL material. The box is titled after Heaven & Earth rather than anything TPTB era (aware, of course, that many of its song titles were pilfered for live releases and EPs) and we've gotten tidbits about the new TCOL remix from the studio and P@. Plus, with the intense amount of discs required to include all the ProjeKcts material, it leaves very little space left to include anything beyond the named live albums and videos.

Then again, with Blurays involved, there's plenty of room for extras. Surely both 2000 and 2003 shows from Eyes Wide Open could fit on a single one, and then have a second dedicated to all of the BootlegTV footage (presuming it's all in chunks like on YouTube, rather than full shows – I don't know which is the case). And even the 40ths of TCOL and TPTB will have DVD-As with plenty of room for extras that may not be given CDs in the set, particularly since the audio won't take up as much space as the older box sets, given I'm sure nothing will be above 48kHz on this one. Maybe the full tours 1997-2003 can even fit on a couple of Blurays for this reason.

So I think it's likely we'll get a Sailors' Tales-sized box out of this spanning up to 2003. It would just be nice to see something reassuring about that being the case.

Jimbino and Tristero like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

By that do you mean keep releasing them individually as mp3's and/or FLACs? If they were available as single CD releases I'd buy 'em for sure.

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Okay - mega-stupid question, but I'm not knowledgable on Crimson (obviously!)

Can someone sum up, succinctly, just what the ProjeKcts were?

4. Robin Redbreast

Robin Redbreast Well-Known Member

5. Robin Redbreast

Hmmmm...may just be me, but I failed to see any reference to the new box being delayed until 2019. :confused:

6. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The (at the time) 6 members of the band worked in various combinations (of between 2 and 4 members ) to try to develop new material for the larger band, borne out of frustration with sessions in 97 that failed to produce work considered suitable for another album.

See also, ProjeKcts - Wikipedia

Runicen and Vaughan like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Thanks. Sounds intriguing. I guess waiting for the box is the way to go, since I've not sampled any of this music.

8. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Would love to know from Sid Smith if a reissue of his book may come out for the 50th anniversary. Would love to read it but prices are insane for an original copy

tedhead, seasonsinthesky and Runicen like this.
  9. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Are you on Twitter? He's pretty active on there if you want to ask him a question.

10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

You're right. Either I saw something somewhere else or (equally likely) I was misreading something. I guess we'll know soon enough whether this set is coming this year, except - in this case - soon enough is not soon enough! :wantsome:

Robin Redbreast likes this.
  11. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Nope for Twitter (or Facebook)

12. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

OK, I'll ask him for you & report back.

van1 likes this.
  13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

When it was new, it didn't appear that there was much additional content above and beyond the DVD-A and Epitaph. You know how it goes though. Some tapes will miraculously be discovered while planning a 50th Anniversary set with Blu Ray.

14. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Just the downloads. I like CDs too but this is probably the only way they can keep all this material out there.

Archtop likes this.
  15. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I asked him but no response I'm afraid, he's been on Twitter too so looks like he's ignoring my question.

van1 likes this.
  16. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Thanks. I did see a link to a gmail address on his twitter page so have sent him ye olde electronikc mail, will post if I hear anything back

tedhead, Robin Redbreast and Mook like this.
  17. Robin Redbreast

18. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Last info posted by David Singleton was to expect the ProjeKCt / TCOL / TPTB box round April.

DPM and Runicen like this.
  19. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

To be more precise, Easter for the Heaven & Earth box, and Christmas for the Court 50th box.

20. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

King Crimson - Celebrating 50 years

In celebration of 50 years, King Crimson today announces:

50 Concerts for 2019:
    The current eight musician line-up will perform 50 concerts across three continents as part of their 2019 Celebration tour.

Dates already announced and on sale include a trio of concerts at London’s Royal Albert Hall, June 18, 19, 20 and New York’s Radio City Music Hall on September 21.

Physical music releases include:

February: King Crimson 1972 – 74 – the second boxed set of 6LPs from Larks’ Tongues in Aspic to the expanded USA in 200 gram vinyl.

[​IMG]

May: Heaven and Earth: Multi-disc CD/ DVD-a/Blu-Ray set covering the period from the late 1990s – 2008 – completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums in 5.1 multi-channel audio.

[​IMG]

Oct: Complete 1969 Recordings CD/DVD-a/Blu-Ray set – completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums on Blu-Ray.
    A vinyl set of 1969 recordings is also being planned

Other planned music releases include: 200 gram vinyl editions of Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, the 2CD 2019 King Crimson tour box – 6th in the series of releases issued to accompany each tour from 2014 onwards

50 Collectors’ Club Releases

2019 will see the release of CLUB48, CLUB49 and CLUB50 - the final three in the Collectors Club series, taking it 50 releases in the band’s 50th year. CLUB48 will be a recently discovered board recording of the concert in Newcastle on 8th December 1972 by the complete Larks Tongues in Aspic line-up before Jamie Muir left the band.

In The Court of the Crimson King Companion & Boxed Set

Oct: Released to coincide and celebrate the original release date of King Crimson's debut album on 12th October 1969:

Limited edition expanded boxed set of “In The Court of the King Crimson” including all the live recordings, the expanded multitrack 1969 recording sessions, as well as a new 5.1 remix of the album.DGM Companion Vol 1, edited by Robert Fripp & David Singleton – Vinyl sized coffee table book covering the history of “In The Court of Crimson King”, with complete timeline, extensive photos, recollections and essays.

June: Sid Smith's long out-of-print acclaimed biography, In the Court of King Crimson will be published in a revised, updated and expanded edition.

50 special Digital music releases, KC 50:

50 tracks, 1 per week featuring a new, rare or alternate take from across the KC catalogue and available via all major download and streaming services
    Each track will be accompanied by a special spoken word introduction by King Crimson manager/producer David Singleton.

Documentary:

Cosmic F*Kc: The King Crimson documentary, directed by Toby Amies, who has been given unique access to the current band as well as interviews with past members and archive footage. To be released in late 2019.
    An accompanying soundtrack will also be issued.

Limited edition Silk Screen prints of Barry Godber's famous “Screaming Face” cover from “In The Court of the Crimson King”

[​IMG]

200 limited edition Silk Screen prints of the outer sleeve of In the Court of the Crimson King. 100 copies of the interior. Printed at actual size of the original art (46.5 inches x 27.5 inches including surround)
    All prints will be signed and numbered by Robert Fripp. Early purchasers will be given the option to buy matching numbered sets

Clothing:

12 special 50th anniversary T-shirts, complementing the artwork for the KC50 digital download series.

21. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Am I reading this correct that there will be 3 boxsets this year? :|

Awesome stuff though! :D

22. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Two box sets look good Heaven and Earth and in the court

23. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

24. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I look forward to your update.
    It's reads to me like a standard box to put ITCOTKC onto blu-ray, with an expanded deluxe version for those who want the full-set of 1969 recordings.

25. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.