King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tease on DGM Live today. Looks like we know what the next mega box set will be: And reels of dreams unrolled...

Looks like a snippet from the Lizard album cover too? Maybe they'll work in outtakes from the preceding studio-only lineups as well.

pexie, RangerXT, Meinl and 9 others like this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

No, please, give me a break, I can't afford so many releases.
    Yesterday I was thinking: "luckily, it hasn't been a KC box set this year".

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm probably gonna buy it regardless (I mean, I have every other box - no sense in leaving this one out in the cold) but I'm afraid that it's going to suffer from a surfeit of previously unreleased material. I'm not looking forward to buying a set that just repackages live shows I already own as Collector Club CDs. Both the 'THRAKBOX' and 'On (And Off) The Road' had a lot less "new" material that the prior sets did.

But it will be nice to finally get 'Earthbound' on BluRay. (And hopefully all of the live shows from which it was compiled in their entirety.)

tug_of_war, RangerXT, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Can't figure out if this comment was intended to be serious or not?

RangerXT, uzn007, Roberto899 and 12 others like this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Lousy sound in hi-resolution! :D

RangerXT, Roberto899, Deek57 and 9 others like this.
  6. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Whoa hang on... there is a hint of Poseidon sleeve too in that teaser pic......

I'll be all over Poseidon, Lizard and Islands studio outtakes stuff like the proverbial pig...... gimme!! :goodie:

RangerXT, warewolf95, asdf35 and 2 others like this.
  7. Say It Right

Yeah, it was recorded on cassettes. Is it even possible to transfer to 5.1 hi rez?

RangerXT likes this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If it's a 2-track recording, surround is impossible (real surround, I mean). Hi-resolution it's possible, but I wouldn't see the point of it.

RangerXT and Say It Right like this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh man, because of so many box set announcements recently I can't decide which I'd like to buy.
    Think I gonna stick to the 2-CD editions King Crimson brought out few years ago, Poseidon and Islands are on my (big fat) wishlist.

10. Say It Right

Stereo hi rez then for the satire appeal. :D

Rne likes this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

You meant the CD/DVD editions? They're truly excellent, I adore them.

12. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

This is one of those, "See thread topic. Immediately start trying to buy what's being teased," moments. If they can fire this out of a cannon into my grubby mitts directly, that would be desirable, thank you. :D

Where's your imagination? Throw all that lovely tape hiss in the back channels and then have it slowly revolve around the listener. It may require a "May Cause Sea-Sickness" warning label though...

RangerXT, willy and Say It Right like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Exactly! (Oops, I meant 2-disc edition)... I have the CD/DVD edition of their first album. It's amazing!

Rne likes this.
  14. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have purchased most or all of the live downloads from this period from DGMLive already, but am still interested in the mega box, especially any studio material that has not already trickled out. For all of the other mega boxes I was able to buy the box before I had gone crazy with the tour downloads, so I might end up getting less overall value out of the package than on the other ones.

Judge Judy and warewolf95 like this.
  15. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

would make a lot of sense to include all 3 albums so that if one had purchased all the big boxes the entire studio output would be included within. suppose for the 50th we will get a expanded debut album box to match the style of the others and include every live scrap from them and have it on blu ray.

Runicen likes this.
  16. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident Thread Starter

You know, one of those tour box booklets said Earthbound would be in the 40th Anniversary Series. Maybe there will be a pared down CD/DVD release from this?

EDIT: OR, even better, Earthbound gets its own box...

17. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Sounds great to me... some fine early material that I would love to indulge in.

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yep getting this one. I only have the vinyl/30th anniversary CDs for these records, been meaning to check them out in 5.1

Also there should be lots more studio snippets from all three albums in addition to many Islands-era live shows

David Singleton let it slip during a Q&A earlier this year that the title of the box will be Sailors' Tales... seems fitting given the joint nautical theme of the album titles In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard (of the deep?) & Islands

Runicen likes this.
  19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Maybe. But wouldn't it just be the box already out? What could they add beyond the 'Epitaph' set and the first Collector's Club disc?

I'm hoping next year we get either a "Fripp 1979-1981" box featuring every variation of every known recording and/or a deluxe ProjeKcts box.

20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

A little from column a, a little from column b.

On the one hand, it would be nice to have ALL of the classic KC albums on BluRay, just to have a perfectly matched set.

On the other hand, I did buy 'Metal Machine Music' on BluRay, so the incongruousness does appeal to me. So when's someone gonna release 'Having Fun With Elvis on Stage' on BluRay? Or 'The Best Of Marcel Marceao'?

William Smart and Say It Right like this.
  21. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

I'm in, as always.

agn and boboquisp like this.
  22. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

ya mainly just adding epitaph and the KCC releases not in the box also the few tracks cut from epitaph that showed up on a DGM download awhile back. I think a few more studio snippets have been released here and there as well that could expand it some.

I imagine they could put a nice audio documentary together like what they did on recent boxes to add some more bits to interest those who already had the other box. it isn't much but it seems like given the anniversary that it will have to happen. and could be nice to have a every note played by this lineup available type set.

I definitely want them to finish up the 40th series before the 50th but time is running low!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Is this gonna be a Poseidon-Lizard-Islands box? I see a reel for "Groon" in the photo as well.

Between the Anniversary release extras and DGM-only studio outtakes, there is a lot of good stuff.
    Bring it on....

Haggis Wampovich and agn like this.
  24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Well, it'll be 'Islands' based, as that's the only album they promoted on tour. And pretty much any random studio things relating to 'Poseidon' and 'Lizard' has already been milked on the DVD editions and the anniversary Tour Boxes. But there's no way we'll ever get 'Poseidon or 'Lizard' deluxe boxes and tracks from those albums were heavily presented on the 'Islands' live shows, so it seems somewhat reasonable to expect that, in addition to the usual various versions of 'Islands' on the inevitable BluRay (vinyl transfer, 30th remaster, 5.1 and 2.0 remixes) they'll also toss in the already-released versions of 'Poseidon', 'Lizard' and 'Earthbound' just for the sake of continuity. (Though I'm still exceedingly puzzled as to why the 'Road To Red' box set included a vinyl transfer of 'USA' on the BluRay but not the actual 'Red' LP itself.)

asdf35 likes this.
  25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Well I'm in. I don't know what took me so long to dive into this band in the first place but I did it at the right time and have been collecting these boxes as they come out, so no duplication for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.