King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There is plenty of great material from the Islands lineup. Zoom Club 4-12-71 is my favorite. Get Thy Bearings and Cirkus are heavy. The version of Cirkus is metallic in spots... my go to version.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Quincy, penguinzzz, aphexj and 3 others like this.
  2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

their is a lot to enjoy from the islands band live. it is interesting to chart them over their course and hear them getting looser and jazzier as they go on.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great news.

aphexj likes this.
  4. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

no ladies of the road. does seem a bit innapropriate nowadays but who knows. was just looking at the earthbound booklet and noted the quotes from fripp saying he likes ladies of the road but sinfield did not so maybe he still feels that way and will bring it out. I would take the other two lady songs they have not played in years over it though if I had to choose.

5. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Few years ago, I made several CDR compilations of all the Poseidon-Lizard-Islands outtakes I could find.
    Some were from the 40th Anniv editions, some tracks were DGM exclusives. Great listening.

Maybe someone could post all the known outtakes from the discs and DGM..

I hope this box covers all that and much more. I am a fan of unedited studio reels.
    Something like "Keep That One, Nick" from the Larks' Boxset.

aphexj and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Sort of hopef they would keep moving forward in the chronology but, okay, I'll probably want this.

7. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

This thread should be retitled "The Mel Collins Years" box set... I don't think it will only be about Islands :agree::D

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

While he was an integral part of the band from '70-72, I don't think it will cover ALL the Mel Collins years (eg. not the current lineup with him blowing his heart out up there next to Tony Levin, nor his guest appearance on the studio recording of "Starless").

9. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I get your point, that's understandable. I thought about that name because you mentioned it in another thread, here: Opinions on King Crimson surround mixes?
    You said it was coming directly from Singleton! Anyway, for what's covered in this upcoming box set, Mel Collins Years would be more appropriate than Islands as a title wouldn't it? :)
    EDIT: Or "Sailors' tales"?

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Sailors' Tales is indeed the provisional title according to Singleton, "the Mel Collins years" his shorthand for 1970 through early 1972 (even though Mel was in the band after that)

11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

12. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

"four recently found never before released concerts" exciting news for those of us who downloaded all the bundles (although makes their complete status a bit of a misnomer).

looks like a pretty awesome set excited for more detailed breakdowns of which shows etc.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  13. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

from the Burning Shed listing:

https://burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/king-crimson_sailors-tales_boxset

The complete 1970-72 King Crimson captured on 21 CDs, 4 blu-ray discs and 2 DVDs (all audio content) and presented in a 12” box with booklet, memorabilia, a further downloadable concert, and sleeve-notes by Sid Smith, Jakko Jakszyk and David Singleton.

Limited edition.

---------

* 3CDs feature Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp stereo mixes of In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard and Islands plus additional tracks.
    * 6CDs feature the Islands line-ups early concerts from Germany (new to CD) and the UK (1971).
    * 9CDs feature live recordings (several new to CD and/or previously unreleased in any format) from the 1972 US tour, including a new stereo mix of Summit Studios and an expanded Earthbound.
    * 3CDs feature auditions for the Islands band and two further, as yet, unidentified concerts from 1972 (all previously unreleased).
    * 3 blu-ray discs contain the main studio albums in 5.1 Surround Sound, recent stereo editions mixed by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp, 30th anniversary masters of the original stereo albums mixes (all in 24/96 hi-res), plus extensive additional material with each disc also featuring a complete alternate album and a further selection of additional, related studio/live material in hi-res.
    * The Lizard blu-ray also contains the audition material from CDs19/20.
    * The Islands blu-ray also contains the following concerts in stereo Zoom Club (4 shows), Marquee Club, Plymouth, Glasgow, Detroit all from 1971.
    * The Earthbound Tour blu-ray features an expanded version of the original album, Summit Studios gig in Stereo and Quadraphonic (newly mixed), the Schizoid Men sequence from the Ladies of the Road album, 2 newly discovered concerts in hi-res stereo and every existing soundboard concert recording from the 1972 US tour: Wilmington, NYC (2 shows), Chicago (2 tracks only), Detroit, Jacksonville, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Peoria, Indianapolis & Denver (2 shows). T
    * 2 DVDs feature the expanded Earthbound, Summit Studios, Schizoid Men, New York 1972 and the recently discovered live concerts.

---------

Recorded between the dazzling impact of In The Court Of The Crimson in 1969 and the startling reinvention of the band on 1973’s Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, this boxed set documents a crucial period in King Crimson’s history and shows it to be brimming with innovation, experimentation, and boundary-pushing energy.

Sailor's Tales features a wealth of previously unheard studio recordings - from band rehearsals to full alternate mixes - alongside a vast array of live material, much of it on CD/blu-ray for the first time and including four recently found, never before released, concerts.

This set presents the complete King Crimson recorded history of the period in the best quality audio possible.

Runicen, mdekoning, jay.dee and 8 others like this.
  14. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

also really pleased that they aren't sticking in the dvds for the three albums that were previously released.

KDubATX likes this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yeah, I haven't bought those myself, but now that I have a BD-ROM drive they are especially redundant. This sounds like a great box, hoping they include fan recollections from each gig as those were a highlight of the previous big boxes

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Let's see...
    *3CDs feature Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp stereo mixes of In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard and Islands plus additional tracks. :thumbsup:
    * 6CDs feature the Islands line-ups early concerts from Germany (new to CD) and the UK (1971). Soundboards? Audience recordings? The difference is vital.
    * 9CDs feature live recordings (several new to CD and/or previously unreleased in any format) from the 1972 US tour, including a new stereo mix of Summit Studios and an expanded Earthbound. Same as above, except for the Summit sessions, which we all know sound great.
    * 3CDs feature auditions for the Islands band and two further, as yet, unidentified concerts from 1972 (all previously unreleased). Same thing [/QUOTE]

17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Well a box set of the Islands album era is excellent news. King Crimson reissues are about as near to perfection as is possible.
    Ordered from Burning Sounds in the UK as were my other KC box sets. Shame no T shirt this time.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  18. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]

you can scroll through the shows available for download on DGM and get some info about sources. I imagine a lot will be from the tapes that created earthbound so fairly rough. the main question is the 4 new shows I doubt they are gonna be pristine sonically though but who knows.

19. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

This is great news - cannot wait get this!

20. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Exciting! At this stage, I'm more interested in seeing what studio/audition/rehearsal material consists of.

Will the TOTP "Cat Food" performance be hidden in there?

21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No, there is no video on the box according to the announcement

asdf35 likes this.
  22. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

The lack of video and the lack of specifying whether they are soundboard or audience/"liberated bootleg" recordings, makes me strongly suspect that there's a reason why this is probably meant to be among the very last of these big box sets that we're going to see come out by the band. I mean, what else is really left?

23. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

ProjeKcts / The ConstruKction of Light / Power to Believe box set. I guess it could be called Nuevo Metal.

warewolf95 and Plan9 like this.
  24. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I have a poster from when the 40th series started and power to believe is pictured. I know it has been discussed that construkction of light would not be part of it but that some special live box would happen.

expanded projekcts box seems logical as well.

25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I love Prelude: Song of the Gulls, yet the rest of the album never did much for me. Wish it did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.