King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

I miss Sailor's Tale very much. Since my personal preference would be for them to keep playing that, instead of adding The Errors or similar new material, I fail to understand why that's not what happened.

2. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I ordered the 40th Anniversary Series Earthbound before I made the decision to order Sailors' Tales. I haven't opened it yet. Is there anything on the 40th Earthbound that isn't on Sailor's Tales?

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

No, everything's included in the box too.

pexie likes this.
  4. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Thank you!

5. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident Thread Starter

Side note... appears that the mastering on (at least some of) the CDs is different from the earlier download/KCCC versions. Specifically, there's some noise reduction on those soundboard cassettes from the 72 tour. I compared the Wilmington show and it's clear they've tried to filter out some of the low-frequency hum that ran throughout the show. It's most noticable on Cirkus, when the whole band comes to a brief stop before the second verse. It's not horribly obvious (except in the aforementioned Cirkus) but thought folks here might want to know.

Plan9 likes this.
  6. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I’ve also noticed the same. If I remember correctly, Even with shows from 1971, for instance if you compare the extras included in Islands 40th and the live tracks from the box set.

7. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I must admit I prefer soundboards to audience recordings; and soundboards made to reel to reel tape not cassette. Having said that, how many new good quality soundboards are in this box that have not been released so far. Any particularly good live
    gems in this collection? Thanks.

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I couldn't believe that "The Creator Has A Master Plan" improv that closes the Summit Studios set is a whopping 36 minutes long! :eek: Who would have imagine that they had edited out 21 minutes from the old KCCC release?

rontoon and Say It Right like this.
  9. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which begs the question, why not just make the original Club release a double disc, like the Detroit 71 or Orlando 72 releases?

jay.dee likes this.
  10. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

I don't think a 50th anniversary Court is forthcoming. Actually, the 2009 5cd+dvd boxed set already includes a different version of Moonchild (take 1) as part of The Alternate Album, so its new inclusion on the recent live tracklist could not be directly connected to yet another Court big box release.
    Anyway, adding the Epitaph box to the 2009 Court boxed set, we already have enough material from that period. It's difficult to imagine what else Fripp could unearth from his vault to make an eventual Court 50th worth buying.

NumberEight likes this.
  11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Unless the multitracks of the Fillmore East shows are found...

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Blu Ray audio. It got reissued after the original master was found in 2004, 5 years after HDCD for the 30th. Put out on DVD-A for the 40th. Would not bet against it.

giantleech and rontoon like this.
  13. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I beg to differ. There's no such thing as "enough material from that period."

aphexj and rontoon like this.
  14. Doctor Flang

I also think that Epitaph box set is out of print.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Those two came much later, when they were selling the discs individually. When the Club first started, you had to subscribe for an entire year. 'On Broadway' was the first double (5/6) and it counted as two so, in practical terms, you were paying twice as much for a double disc as for a single disc. After a couple of years, they decided that the subscription model was counterproductive and started making each title available to purchase a la carte. Which is also why later double titles only have a single catalog number, whereas 'On Broadway' had two.

16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Good point!

17. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Addressing the question of what might be the next KC box set, David Singleton suggested that there may be enough material for an Exposure (Fripp) box.
    He also said that they were running out of KC archival material indicating that they have pretty much covered every incarnation of the band to date.

carville, uzn007 and Runicen like this.
  18. Doctor Flang

Not for 1969-1997, but there's certainly enough material for a Double Duo box set. That being said, i think there is still a possibility for an expanded Court box set.

aphexj and rontoon like this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Loving this box so much more than I expected. Mel Collins is the MVP of this band.

Marty T, Judge Judy, aphexj and 6 others like this.
  20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Well there are still plenty of ProjeKct downloads that would fill up a 'ConstruKction Of Light' box quite nicely. And I'd love to see a comprehensive 79-81 Fripp box, just to get all the original LPs and random tracks ('Marriagemuzic', Recorder Three, Miniatures and Perspectives And Distortion tracks) all in one convenient place. I don't know how much more unreleased 'Exposure' stuff there is, specifically, but there are loads of extra 'Let The Power Fall' and 'League Of Gentlemen' recordings they could put out to fill up a set.

lschwart, Runicen and aphexj like this.
  21. NumberEight

Aye, it were hard being a Fripp fan in those grim days. We used to scratch around record shops looking for tiny scraps of Fripp, and even then it weren’t enough to keep body and soul together.

Of course, then along came 1981 and things got a lot better. Tell that to the young people today and they just won’t believe you.

Joti Cover, Runicen, xj32 and 3 others like this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That could be nice.

23. It looks like it is. Even the more recent 2 CD sets (vol. 1 & 2 and vol. 3 & 4) are gone. If there will be no big 1969 set they should at least bring these back in print.

24. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

If you are really, really bored - check youtube for "King Crimson 8-bit." You will find "8-bit" renditions of many KC songs. These are like 1980's video game music (or Kraftwerk demos? haha). You can find these for many artists. "Frame By Frame" worked really well, here's one related to this thread:

lschwart, Doctor Flang and aphexj like this.
  25. NumberEight

Hmm. Could Fripp's "two years' time" comment in "Unidentified Show No. 1" refer to King Crimson having played the same city or venue in 1969 (approximately two years before)? If so, there's only one contender for the venue, and it's 1971, not 1972 (the November 12, 1971 show at the East Town Theater, Detroit).

As for playing at a different venue in the same city - assuming my somewhat implausible theory is correct (and depending on how many times they played two shows in one night) - New York and Chicago are possible contenders for 1971, and Detroit and Boston for 1972.

Despite the wonders of the interweb, we may never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.