King Crimson - "Starless - Live in Europe" box set confirmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Buy it as soon as possible, it might go definitely out of print at any moment.

Edit: oh, and it is, in my opinion, the best Crimson box set. Truly marvelous.

2. If I were you I would get one while you can. Worth every penny.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I'm getting a bad feeling about this. Even Burning Shed appears to be out of stock now.

4. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Currently four for sale on discogs. King Crimson - Starless Amazon lists a new copy.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

According to the recent news they plan to resurrect the KC Collectors Club series (for a few releases at least), so dropping the big boxes out of print may be a logical step.

In any case I prefer to get their live releases à la carte, so I'll let the boxes go. Bring more (earlier) 1973 live sets on CD and I'll pick them happily!

footlooseman likes this.
  6. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

This box set from release was advertised as a limited edition. They are very expensive to make. Once they are gone. They are gone.

JediJoker and footlooseman like this.
  7. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

I have all of the boxes thus far and Starless is easily my favorite.

8. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Hey guys, thanks for the posts about this issue and the email address. I was reading this thread yesterday and it made me pull out the box and check disc 23. Mine had also turned a shade of bronze and would not read on two players. It played fine when I purchased the box.

Anyhow, I emailed a note and photos about the issue (also mentioning that I learned about the issue here). I got a reply (actually two replies) early this morning and my replacement disc is already in the mail headed here. Amazing! Such great customer service. Thanks again folks.

Ray29, Meng, Jimbino and 2 others like this.
  9. :righton:

mcchocchoc likes this.
  10. wilfsdad1965

wilfsdad1965 Forum Resident

Has anybody had problems with disc 22 dvd?? in my player only the 5.1 mlp will play, the other two sound formats do nothing when you select them. It's not a huge problem as the same audio is on the bluray. but disc 22 menu says all 3 shows are in 5.1 mlp, 5.1 pcm, and lpcm stereo, and i can only get the 5.1 mlp selection to play anything.

11. wilfsdad1965

wilfsdad1965 Forum Resident

According to the KC website, all the boxes are getting a repress for the 50th anniversary apart from heaven which only just came out. i think they're due in october ...

RiRiIII, JediJoker and SJP like this.
  12. Separan

Separan Forum Resident

Just curious.. In tracklist there is some difference between Zurich concert CD and Blu-ray... No 'The Night Watch in blu-ray version.. Do CD and Blu-ray have different mix? or just omitted?

13. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, there’s a detailed explanation in the booklet. I think the blu rays have got the new hires transfers and the CDs have the mixes done back in 1991 for another box set, the great deceiver. Songs are also sorted differently between CDs and blu rays.

JediJoker and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  14. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I believe this box has been re-released and I have recently purchased one. The reported problems with the DVD-A and Blu ray discs have been fixed, if you are considering buying this. It's a little pricey but one box set that is worth it. I also have the Larks Tongues Super Box which is good, just wish the sound was a little better.

Is the Road To Red Box basically the same gigs as the Starless Box? What's the difference in these boxes?

15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Same tour (the Starless and Bible Black lineup) but later in 1974, when they were treading "the Rock 'n Roll stage" in North America. There are many incendiary live improvs in the Road to Red box but most of them were already collected in The Great Deceiver boxset... also, if you have a particular interest in the Asbury Park gig first immortalized on the USA album, there are several versions collected (which are also included with the 40th Anniversary CD+DVD of that album). The Road to Red was the debut for Wilson's stereo remix of the Red studio album, but this has come out separately since

Billy_Sunday, Channel Z and Tristero like this.
  16. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Definitely not. The Road to Red box set includes shows from that line-up's last US tour.

Channel Z likes this.
  17. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Thanks I'll be on the look out for that one, plus others I'm sure.

18. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

There is an issue with the DVD-A disc as well?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Read post #1010 above.

20. Did anyone with the first edition (2014) box with defective disc DVD disc 22 ask for, and successful in getting replacement (since the box was repressed) from DGM?

21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I got one just a few months ago, after getting my box from Amazon in 2018. Took a bit to get to me but their response was quick.

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

This was my experience as well. They were very accommodating.

23. When did you ask for the DVD and receive? I know we all received the replacement for the bronzing Blu-ray about two years ago but for some reason I didn’t know that a program existed for the DVD 23 too.

edit, what email address to you use?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  24. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Just tried my DVD of the stereo and DTS and they won’t work. Do I just email the same email regarding the Blu-ray I had replaced?

25. What email did you use for the BR? I couldn’t find the original email I sent, so I ask the OP same question about where he sent email for DVD.

Archtop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.