King Crimson Steven Wilson Remixes in LP Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Olias of Sunhill, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

This is all i really want. I hope they sell it separately.
    Although the wilson remixes might sound better than my current issues...idk. I'm pretty happy with what i got.

2. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Really looking forward to this, so I instabought the bundle.

Much prefer the SW remixes of everything, so it was tough justifying buying any vinyl until now (though I submitted to the power of Court and Islands 200g when I found them!).

Must say I don't really care much about the extras included. I understand why they're in but aside from being curios answering questions like "how did they end Epitaph while recording?", they don't have much replay value for me. This applies as well to the Larks alternate album; would have been happier to see, for instance, an LP collecting various improvisations from the Wetton era, particularly Voyage and Is There Life Out There?. Perhaps that's on a future release card. Very glad to see USA in full, though!

Presumably they'll do this next year with the '80s trilogy, and perhaps the post-'80s trilogy (since the last two 40ths will be out by this time next year in the box set). Count me in.

3. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Is it correct that the previous, recent vinyl reissues were not from the Wilson remixes? I think I just assumed that they were...

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

AFAIK all original mixes there.

5. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Thanks for the quick answer!

6. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fascinating comment from Wilson today on his Remixes Facebook page:

All albums are cut from the mixes made for the 40th anniversary CD/DVD-A series, pressed on 200g super-heavyweight vinyl, and presented in their original sleeves. However, these new vinyl editions have been cut from flat transfers of my mixes, not the Simon Heyworth mastered versions used for previous releases.

Trying to figure out the implications here. On the one hand, it makes perfect sense that the flat transfers would be used for the LPs instead of the "mastered for CD/DVD" Heyworth versions. On the other hand, so much of what's right about the Yes Wilson Remixes box set seems to be due to Chris Bellman's sympathetic mastering--I wonder if the Crimson LPs will benefit from something similar.

I will admit that I'd forgotten (or perhaps never realized) that Heyworth received a mastering credit for the stereo mixes on the 40th anniversary series.

7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Fripp and Heyworth added some compression to Steven's mixes--probably to fatten up the sound a tad. A flat transfer suggests that the vinyl will NOT have this compression. That alone will be a good reason for many K.C. fans to pick up these LPs.

granata and Olias of Sunhill like this.
  8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I believe Jason Mitchell who runs Loud Mastering (formerly alongside the late and dearly missed John Dent) cut the lacquers for these. Good to hear flat transfers were used as the source, should mean that these have a little more headroom than the CD/DVD versions in most cases

9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ah, thanks! That explains the somewhat acerbic tone in Steven's message this morning.

10. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

These are way too expensive surely...?

11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

You must be new here.

12. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I wonder if there are any plans to release a digital counterpart, as was done with the SW Yes Remixes vinyl box set? I suppose it would have already been announced if so.

13. seasonsinthesky

Did the Yes camp announce it? Or did it just happen?

14. Gary Edward Link

Gary Edward Link Forum Resident

I'm pretty psyched about this. Does anyone know if it will be released through Amazon or just through DGM and Burning Shed?

Electric Sydney likes this.
  15. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I'm still on the fence about these. I generally pay the market price and feel that's the way it rolls, but with the 6-LP Yes box of Wilson remixes running about $100, these Crimson sets at $160+ each just seem awfully pricey - especially since there isn't a hardcover book or other purchase bait included in each. A repro of the booklet from "Young Person's Guide"? I have the original here, and it's pretty underwhelming graphically...

SoundDoctor and Ray29 like this.
  16. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I can't do. I just can't do it. I can't buy the catalog again.... However, I am curious why the second box doesn't use the back cover art from the "Young Person's Guide...". It would have tied the two releases together nicely.

uzn007 likes this.
  17. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Chew and seasonsinthesky like this.
  18. seasonsinthesky

Those were on 180g. I'm sure the upgrade to 200 causes some price difference, especially in shipping.

I wish they'd quit the 200g obsession. I think 180 is plenty in terms of stability. It's diminishing returns above that.

SRC likes this.
  19. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

It’s nice but getting a bit ridiculous. How many times can I rebuy the same albums? And for me all the previous releases sound excellent. There has always been care taken in each and every edition, down to the half master speed EG 80’s LP reissues.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Well, I hope these are better pressings than many of the regular KC reissues which were plagued with baked-in surface noise - like Lizard and Lark's Tongues.

sennj likes this.
  21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

And Red.

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And Poseidon.

23. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

So namely all of the albums except the debut? :p

24. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I see there are “place holders” for both boxes at Amazon UK.

25. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Popmarket has both boxes for around $150.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.