King Crimson Steven Wilson Remixes in LP Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Olias of Sunhill, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I saw that as well, but I'm waiting to see how Amazon UK shakes out considering VAT and so on.

2. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Amazon UK now has pricing for both sets, at £158.35 each, though orders can't yet be placed. That sounds high compared to Burning Shed's 120, but even if Amazon UK comes down and you remove the VAT I think the shipping to the US customers is going to be expensive for these 200g sets. I decided to order with Pop Market, with free shipping. (Knocking on wood) I've had good experiences with them on big box sets, most recently Joe Strummer 001 and the vinyl edition of David Bowie Loving the Alien just this week. btw, Pop Market showed the 72-74 box set with a release date of December 7 while 69-72 is listed as November 9.

3. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I am thoroughly confused. My current understanding is that Steven Wilson has remastered the extended anniversary box sets but not the individual reissues on each album. Discogs only shows Fripp as having approved the 201402017 newly cut reissue masters, but Steven Wilson is not mentioned. I see this box set as the first time the Steven Wilson remixed albums will be available outside of the anniversary boxes. It has also proven out with S. Wilson's previous efforts, that if patient, these box sets will become available as individual items. Bottom line, I am leaning to sell off my 2013-2015 reissues by Fripp and put the money towards the S. Wilson remixed box set. There are simple too many chefs in this kitchen. :help:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  4. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I can see that I have posted to an older thread. Let me update with this Music Direct email:
    Shop Music - Music Direct

These are far more expensive than what I was anticipating.

5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Check/watch Amazon. Currently I have the first box ordered at $180. I’m tempted to also order the second which is around $140 currently.

6. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

sonofjim likes this.
  7. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I saw the Music Direct price and I’m assuming it must be a mistake. Everyone else has these listed at $199.99. (Except Amazon). Surprisingly, the ‘69-‘72 box form Amazon showed up on my doorstep today. I haven’t even opened it yet but it’s an impressive feeling box and looks pretty classy. (How my wife tolerates all the vinyl coming in right now I have no idea. It has to stop).

Ray29 and sennj like this.
  8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wilson's remastered nothing - he only remixes. The previous CD+DVD sets and the super-deluxe CD+DVD+BD boxes sets include his remixes. The previous individual LP reissues only included the original mixes. These new vinyl boxes utilize the new (stereo) Wilson mixes.

fRa, frogfog and dkurtis like this.
  9. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I got a shipping notice from Pop Market for '69-'72, and expect it any time now. It does look like the second box is lagging a few weeks behind, as expected, though both are a bit late compared to the initial timing:

btw, Pop Market showed the 72-74 box set with a release date of December 7 while 69-72 is listed as November 9.

10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm wondering if they'll do an 80s box too. I'd certainly get that.

Funnily enough, the first album is the one that got me into KC but other than that I don't really love much of the pre-72 material, especially not enough to buy that box. The live material from 1969 and that first album really are my favorite stuff of the era.

Count me in for the second box though, but hopefully the price goes down. The Yes box cost about half as much.

11. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Thank you.

12. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I purchased box 1 from Inner Knot for $160 - priority shipping was an additional $24. I could of had it shipped standard US Postal for a little less, but I thought that this was a bad time of the year to ship anything standard. I was going to listen to box 1 and check guild reviews before buying box 2.

13. Gary Edward Link

Gary Edward Link Forum Resident

I ordered from Inner Knot as well, but chose standard shipping. Ugh. The site still says Pre Order. I haven't received any shipping confirmation as of yet. Bob's really making me wait for this one.

14. Mike burgess

Mike burgess Forum Resident

I picked mine up from Burning Shed last week.

15. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

To those who have picked this set up: How's the pressing and audio quality?

Asking for a friend...;)

Clucking and seasonsinthesky like this.
  16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Well, I haven’t had time to spin anything yet but I did open the set and have been cleaning the LPs. The outer box is sturdy and well made. The LPs are all individually shrink wrapped (as with the Police box). Most of the covers are adequate but nothing special. The one exception may be Poseidon which has kind of a cool textured cover. The booklet is OK but I doubt anyone will gush over it.

As for the vinyl, it all looks very nice with no visual defects. It comes in a custom poly-lined sleeve which I find to be a nice touch. These don’t seem like 200 gm pressings to me. Maybe barely 180 gm.

Overall, the set has a nice look and feel. I look forward to playing through it.

dkurtis and sennj like this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

These box sets have got to stop. My credit card can't take it.

frogfog, sonofjim and sennj like this.
  18. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

You will have to get used to them: we entering the 50th anniverseries period of the golden years of classic rock. (1969-1973 IMHO).
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Echoes Myron and uzn007 like this.
  19. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

And there aren't too many customers left for physical media besides us old farts anymore...

sennj, Echoes Myron and frogfog like this.
  20. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've just returned from the mailbox with my 1969-72 set in tow... which was something of a surprise, as Deep Discount hadn't sent me an email confirming shipment. Regardless, I echo the comments from @sonofjim -- this is a nicely executed set but nothing lavish or extraordinary.

I'm currently spinning Lizard and find the sonics quite agreeable. The vinyl is quiet and clean, the mastering dynamic and balanced.

sonofjim, sennj and frogfog like this.
  21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’ve played through the first 3 LPs in the ‘69-‘72 box and I really am enjoying Wilson’s mixes. The vinyl is all flat and really looks nice. However, I would call it “satisfactorily quiet”, certainly not “dead quiet”. There is some underlying groove noise really only noticeable in lower level passages, which do abound on these titles. When the music is full bodied and really moving the sound is about perfect. Sometimes, a few play throughs will “dehorn” fresh pressings. Hoping that’s the case here.

I’m not a big believer that heavy weight vinyl is of much benefit. I will restate though that these are clearly not 200 gm pressings, likely not 180 gm either. I can’t tell where they were pressed. The add hype says “200 gm super-heavyweight vinyl”. Intentional or not, that is a misrepresentation of what these are. “I know 200 gm vinyl, 200 gm vinyl is a friend of mine. You sir, are not 200 gm vinyl”.

If I were a teacher, at this point my grades would be as follows,

Music-A+
    Mastering-A
    Presentation-B
    Pressing quality-C

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  22. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I had the same comment about the last Kate Bush releases hence why they were sent back. Kept the CD (and my old vinyl)!

Cannot justify myself to buy another run of KC on any format. The 40th anniversary DVD just have everything I need to ‘be happy with what you have’ as they say...

23. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up sonofjim. I’ll stick to my blu-rays.

24. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Thanks for the detailed write up sonofjim. I'm glad I passed on this box in light of the mediocre pressing quality. As you mentioned, there are just too many "lower level passages" on these titles and anything less than exceptional pressing quality--particularly considering the asking price--would be pretty disappointing.

25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

On my set so far...

ITCOTCK:

Side A: Dead quiet, perfect, Sonics unreal. Their voices are so young and sound like they were recorded yesterday. You can hear each voice clearly and distinctly in the harmony, particularly in She Talks To The Wind.” I’ve never heard these tracks sound like this, and I have the CD version.

Side B: a recurring pop throughout much of the side, and some groove noise. I have NOT cleaned this LP yet - I’m hoping a dip in my Kirmuss will help things.

INWOP:

Sides A & B - very quiet, no groove noise, amazing soundstage, dynamics, realism (and surrealism). Wow.

granata and dkurtis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.