King's X Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Mar 16, 2018.

1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I see it as kind of a preparatory interlude too. A cleansing of the musical pallet....

Wil1972 likes this.
  2. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I disagree with that. I really get off letting the audience do it. I think it really adds meaning to the bond between a band and it's fans and there are very few bands around that are able to pull something like that off without it appearing contrived and Kings X is one band that can do it. (Fish/Marillion is another.)

Wil1972 likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wil1972 likes this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

You can still have the bond you speak of by letting the audience sing some of it but please let us hear Doug/the band sing at least a verse/chorus as well. Sure would be nice to actually hear the song sung by a singer with a good voice for a change.

ytserush and Wil1972 like this.
  5. Wil1972

Wil1972 'Nader Dodgin' Champ

Sometimes

The final track on side 1 of Out of the Silent Planet. While this is another stellar performance from the band, "Sometimes" feels a little under-developed in comparison with some of the other material here. Great groove, great vocals, but a little workmanlike. First song on the album I find myself less excited by. Still, it rocks and wraps up side 1 nicely enough.

Ty Tabor: "I wrote 'Sometimes' with Marty Warren. [The band] didn't like the lyrics."
    Jerry Gaskill: "... Something about the lyrics didn't seem right to me. So I wrote the lyrics for the chorus and I think Doug wrote the lyrics to the verses."

Sometimes I sink
    Sometimes I climb
    It all fits in
    It's all in time

I stand here crying
    The world is laughing
    I stand surrounded yet I see the lies
    I stand here waiting
    For new Jerusalem
    I know it's greater than the world outside

Sometimes I shout
    Sometimes I hide
    It all begins
    It's all in time
    I stand here crying

The world is laughing
    I stand surrounded yet I see the lies
    I stand here waiting
    For new Jerusalem
    I know it's greater than the world outside

ytserush and slipkid like this.
  6. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I wonder what year that would of been, the invite to possibly join Purple?

7. Wil1972

According to the Deep Purple Wiki page it was after Gillan was fired in 1989. It doesn't give any details but being when King's X were already one or two albums into their own career it's interesting that they were considering him.

"Gillan was fired in 1989; his relations with Blackmore had again soured, and their musical differences had diverged too far. Originally, the band intended to recruit Survivor frontman Jimi Jamison as Gillan's replacement, but this fell through owing to complications with Scotti Brothers Records, Jamison's record label. Eventually, after auditioning several high-profile candidates, including Brian Howe (White Spirit, Ted Nugent, Bad Company), Doug Pinnick (King's X), Australians Jimmy Barnes (Cold Chisel) and John Farnham (Little River Band), Terry Brock (Strangeways, Giant) and Norman "Kal" Swan (Tytan, Lion, Bad Moon Rising), former Rainbow vocalist Joe Lynn Turner was recruited into the band."

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Interesting that that account says that Doug actually auditioned. But Doug's own comment in the interview linked above was that he only found out that he was being considered for a job in Deep Purple much later and after the fact and that Management had turned the offer down without even telling him about it.

9. Wil1972

I'd trust Doug's account over Wiki.

10. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Sometimes

I like this concise sharp little rocker. It's a step up from the previous track, and the chorus is quite catchy with solid harmonies. A good closer for side one.

11. Wil1972

So we are halfway through the album. Going back and listening like this has been interesting so far. And it's reminded me that side 2 is my favorite side.

12. Wil1972

King

Side 2 kicks off with "King", one of three songs issued as a single from Out of the Silent Planet. Its a pretty straight-forward rocker.
    Written by Doug Pinnick, "King" went through a few transformations before landing in it's final form. Like all of the singles on Out of the Silent Planet, "King" flopped upon release.
    A video was also made for the song. Anyone ever catch it back then? Not me. Since I already shared it earlier I simply shared the song without the video above. I'll also share an early version of the song for comparison below.

Doug Pinnick: I was into Bow Wow Wow for a second. They had this jungle beat with a funky, slap bass player. So ["King"] sounded like them - but a bad rip off. Jerry's then-wife heard us playing it and said it was a stupid song. So, when we were making Out of the Silent Planet, I said, 'Let's scrap the jungle thing, and let's just jam out."

The early version:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8Y7M9IPW0

(You are the one)
    Who causes me pain
    (You are the one)
    Who causes me grief
    (You are the one)
    Who lied to me
    It won't be long soon you will see

King is coming
    King is coming
    King is coming
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    King is coming

(You are the one)
    Who magnifies hate
    (You are the one)
    Who destroys our love
    (You are the one)
    Disguised as a saint
    It won't be long your kingdom will quake

King is coming
    King is coming
    King is coming
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    King is coming

King is coming
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    King is coming
    King is coming
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    King is coming

13. redfloatboat

Wow, John Farnham! For those who don't know him, he has one of the greatest voices around.[not so much now as he's old, like me!] A 'proper' singer. I don't think he'd of suited Purple though.

ytserush likes this.
  14. Wil1972

Wasn't really familiar with him so I just looked him up; he seems an odd choice for DP. He was in Little River Band in the 80s. Seems to come from a different world from Purple.

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

"King" is often introduced live as 'probably the first song you heard from us, thanks to MTV.' It also seems to be one of the songs they can play from memory because they used to offer it up as an encore choice.

16. Wil1972

The first time I saw them in '98 they opened with it. Its a great opener. Really it works just about anywhere in the set because of its energy.

17. redfloatboat

He had a very established career before and after LRB, he was in that band for just a short time. 'We Two,' a song he did with LRB really shows off his voice. His most famous solo song that was a hit in many countries is the great 'You're the Voice.'

Really like 'King,' i think it was the first song that appealed to me after hearing the album for the first time. I have to be honest, the religious overtones in some of the band's songs were a bit off putting at first as i'm an atheist. However the music was just so good, and in general lyrics aren't the number one thing for me in most songs by any artist.

I read an interview a very long time ago where, i think it was Sam Taylor, described King's X as being a mixture of, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, with a just dash of James Brown.

slipkid and Wil1972 like this.
  18. Wil1972

"King" certainly stands out on the album. Like "Goldilox". And that description of the band by Sam is pretty good.

ytserush likes this.
  19. Wil1972

Forgot to mention that in the video for "King", Jerry's son plays the "young Jerry". Also, Doug's sister is sitting on the bus and I believe his mother is in the diner scene.

slipkid likes this.
  20. Wil1972

I just watched the VH-1 top 100 Hard Rock artists clip featuring King's X and at about the 1:05 mark Ritchie Blackmore mentions wanting Doug for Purple. I have seen that clip before but somehow that tidbit flew by me.

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

King

A short catchy hard rocker that makes its mark quickly and then is gone. It's interesting to me that the instrumental break where one would expect a guitar solo actually goes with the rhythmic flow with some layered harmonies and arpeggiated guitar instead. An interesting choice.

ytserush, slipkid and Wil1972 like this.
  22. Wil1972

I forgot there is no real solo to speak of. Suppose it doesn't really need one because I don't miss having one.

DPM likes this.
  23. Wil1972

What Is This?

This song, written by Doug Pinnick, has always seemed to me to be one of the weaker tracks on the album, alongside "Sometimes". It has nice dynamics and good atmosphere, but it never manages to scale the heights of other songs here IMO. Not skippable, but not amongst the best either.

Doug Pinnick: "Another drop-D tune. That was about believing in God, but questioning everything that I believed."

Oh Lord, it gets so complicated
    Oh Lord, I don't know what to do
    God, it looks so hopeless
    But I know, it isn't true

What is this that gives me hope
    In the middle of the night
    And makes me turn to you?
    What is this that lights my way
    Through the hours of the day
    Tell me what to do?

Oh Lord, they say that I don't know you
    Oh Lord, they say I am deceived
    God, you tell me different
    I have no choice but to believe

Makes me run to you?
    Through the hours of the day?
    Tell me that it's -

Oh, they make you feel so foolish
    Oh, they make you out the fool
    God, it looks so hopeless
    But I know it isn't true

Makes me turn to you?
    Through the hours of the day?
    Tell me that it's you

ytserush and Chazzbo13 like this.
  24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

What Is This?

I like this moody little track. It's not one of the standouts on the album, but it's a solid song with an impassioned vocal performance from Doug. The spacey sound effects during the verses are a nice touch.

Wil1972 likes this.
  25. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

They opened with it when they played The Astoria in London in 1990. Good opener. So much dry ice!

Wil1972 likes this.