Kink Kronikles RSD 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Isaac K., Aug 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

If you read the liner notes, each side has a theme and the notes go through each one in order. I suppose you could put on side 2 on the second record, flip it over for side 3 and then pull out the first record again for side 4.
    I suppose in this age of streaming tracks some don't care about album flow but I do.

2. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

If it's each side that has a theme, why does it matter which order you play them in?

3. Adam9

To go in the order of the description in the liner notes.
    I'm a huge Kinks fan but having sold my original vinyl and given away my CD to a friend I am still not interested in this release with the lack of care given to this product.

Tommyboy and Serafin like this.
  4. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I am sticking with my original LP that is a 70’s Reprise pressing. Sound is OK. But it’s really one of my favorite comps. Got introduced to many gems like Wonderboy, Berkeley Mews, Holiday im Waikiki, etc. Goes to some interesting places. That and Neil Young Decade are 2 of the best compilation albums of that era. They take you on the side road off the main highway. I love that

5. Zapruder

What lack of care is there? It sounds phenomenal to me, and the autocoupling is only there to be faithful to how it was originally presented.

Tom Campbell and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  6. RC1

RC1 Forum Resident

I just skipped in the liner notes to whatever side I was on, played in 1, 4, 2, 3 order, no need to go change records to go in side order for me

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Adam9

Are there fake stereo tracks on there like the original along with a fold down of Mindless Child of Motherhood? Then it would be completely faithful.
    And who uses a record changer today?

8. Yes you can pull out a different record. and play in any order you desire. Rather than flipping, have the record in the on deck circle. It is allowed. :tiphat:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    marcb and uzn007 like this.
  9. And you survived?

RC1 and Ray29 like this.
  10. Zapruder

Seems unlikely, the Side Order Police took my baby away for doing this

11. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

This RSD seems to hardest too get; I am striking out everywhere. Of course I am not going to pay EBay prices so I am limiting myself,

12. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Auto coupling on a 2020 reissue? That is some dumb retro nonsense.

13. Zapruder

I would imagine so, but I haven't really checked. It's definitely got all the weird edits.

And yeah, no one uses a record changer, thankfully.

Adam9 likes this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Be patient. I scored a copy for list price earlier today because I just happened to glance at my Discogs wantlist while on a break from work.

ODShowtime, Rekkerds and RickA like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If it matters that much, just pretend the original had label errors and side 4 was really side 2.

Zapruder and Mazzy like this.
  16. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I agree, like a good poured beer, let it breath and foam dine down first. :cheers:

17. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

sides 1, 4, 2, 3.. in that order??? ok.. thats pretty Kinky

still looking forward to my lp in transit!

imail724, FJFP, RC1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I had to go Discogs for this one as Australia didn’t get any copies. Something to do with a worldwide pandemic, or some sort?

TimeWarper likes this.
  19. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

I didn't even bother with RSD this year, with everything going on down under.

SJR likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Pretty good chance this will see a black vinyl release

Minorityshareholder and Ken.e. like this.
  21. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I agree especially with the original number being so low

Ken.e. and aoxomoxoa like this.
  22. Definitely mono, most likely same mix that is on The Kink Kronikles CD. I can compare later tonight or tomorrow.

uzn007 likes this.
  23. On the new LP:

Polly does not seem to have the low-level hum that is on the Kink Kronikles CD during the song’s intro, but it could just be obscured by the vinyl surface. Was listening on an Audio Technica AT-LP1240 with an Ortofon 2M Blue.

Fancy still has the static noises present in the left* channel at the very beginning, but I think they were always there on most transfers of Face To Face in stereo, such as the old PRT CD.

*Face To Face has been released on occasion with the left and right channels swapped (as well as Side 1 & Side 2 switched in the running order).

Shawn likes this.
  24. No fake stereo. Mixes align with what was on The Kink Kronikles CD. That means Mindless Child of Motherhood is most likely a fold down.

For reference: The Kink Kronikles

Listening to the LP, the mixes definitely align to that list. The only time mono quickly deviates is Mr. Pleasant, where there is a drop-out only in the left channel at the very beginning of the song, just like on the CD version.

dee, Adam9, uzn007 and 1 other person like this.
  25. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

In 1972 they clearly thought there was a preferable order to listen to the sides, or they wouldn’t have auto coupled it in the first place.

Adam9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.