Kink Kronikles RSD 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Isaac K., Aug 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Honestly, I was mainly drawn to it as it's the only proper release of Did You See His Name on vinyl.

btltez likes this.
  2. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, that’s why I mentioned Reprise, silly billy!

3. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Theres a big drop in volume from Fancy to Apeman. Ruins that side. Otherwise ive enjoyed the album

4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Do you mean a progressive drop via Wonderboy or a sudden drop when Apeman starts? The vocals are quite recessed on the latter so maybe that's what you're hearing?

Tommyboy and FJFP like this.
  5. Apeman has always started at an extremely low volume. It is as if the song fades in.

Tom Campbell, aoxomoxoa and btltez like this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Which CDs would one use to string together their own (better) digitally remastered version of the KKs collection?

7. Adam9

Interesting. I always thought about doing that. You could use the deluxe editions for the same mixes and I think you would need the Arthur box for the stereo "Did You See His Name?" Of course, you would have to use either the mono or stereo mix of "Mindless Child Of Motherhood". Either one sounds better than the fold down on the original. The stereo would be more faithful to the original as stereo mixes were used for every song that had one, I think.
    You could use some tracks from the old PRT or Castle discs. You would have to level match them though as they are quieter.

8. So basically just buy a copy of Kink Kronikles

marcb, anth67, Tommyboy and 4 others like this.
  9. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

There are a couple of attempts in Spotify via public playlists, but there are choices to be made between mono and stereo versions of some songs. Btw, neither Spotify or Qubuz have stereo versions of Holiday in Waikiki, as they're mislabeled.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm good with GoldWave digital editor, so adjusting levels is no problem. and I have a few of the old Castle CDs, and Arthur box. I'm going to give it a shot since the running order and track selection is so highly regarded.

KKs always seemed to be in print and always there (for US record buyers). You weren't seriously into the Kinks if you did not have this album. I had to survive on "Golden Hour of the Kinks" for a long while which was a great way to get into the pre-RCA period, as I think I paid $2.99 for a sealed new import!!!

FJFP likes this.
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, do you know what CD has Holiday in Waikiki in stereo? I'd personally go with a full on stereo program.

12. FJFP

I haven’t checked myself, but I know the stereo mixes on FTF are extremely narrow... are you sure this isn’t what you’re hearing instead? (Though the SFX intro may be panned?)

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I know all the key tracks on every album, but not much about mix variations, and how many mixes have appeared later on reissues. I'd be fine with a Kronicals playlist that did not necessarily contain all the mixes as found on the original 2LP set. But rather a better sounding one with low gen tapes as possible. An update on the original is fine - with more true stereo and new clarity on most tracks.

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm sure, yes. Btw, I like the stereo FTF, though most forum members seem not to.

A homemade sonic upgrade using recent digital sources is not only possible, but fun!

FJFP likes this.
  15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

The stereo FTF is common on CD, but this track doesn't seem to be streaming in stereo, alas, on Spotify or Qobuz; not sure about others places like Apple Music, and such.

quicksrt likes this.
  16. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

This is the whole song. Gods Children is the same. Then Death Of A Clown at the end is much louder. Theyve just thrown a bunch of recordings together on that side with no attempt to normalise the volume

17. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

No the volume is all over the place from track to track

NOS300B, dee and YardByrd like this.
  18. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Yep... really disappointed after I finally cued up that side yesterday...

dee likes this.
  19. FJFP

Is it like this on the original Reprise copies?

20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Pretty much, yes.

NOS300B likes this.
  21. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I'm still looking for the KINK KRONIKLES RSD release. Can anyone steer me to a storefront that has one that ships.

Thanks a bunch!!

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The deluxe edition Face To Face. It's a poor stereo mix though.

sharedon likes this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't know how many online stores are going to have any in stock. Seems like they've been pretty picked-over for days now.

I scored a copy because I happened to check Discogs at the right time. I would suggest checking Discogs and Ebay periodically to see if you can find one that's not too expensive.

24. Adam9

@quicksrt asked for a "(better) digitally remastered version".
    The Deluxe Face To Face has Holiday In Waikiki in stereo. You're right about most of the stereo mixes being narrow, but not that track. It also has a longer intro before the vocal comes in.

quicksrt, FJFP and sharedon like this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I may sell mine. Not sure I really NEED it. I have the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.