Kinki Studio EX M1 - Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chipcalzada, Apr 18, 2021.

1. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

I had the opportunity to spend time with the latest EX M1+. It sounded harsh right out of the box BUT it does need run in. The difference after running in for 50-60 hours is obvious. It’s smoother for sure.

There’s no issue with power delivery. Will drive most speakers with ease.

The unit has slam and is bass oriented but not to the extent of being tonally out of balance. It’s ever so slightly bright, so be careful with pairing if you aren’t too keen on extra highs.

I find that vocals will take up more space between speakers with the EX M1+. Detail and separation is good but vocal are slightly larger.

Not my cup of tea as I listen to boring ‘audiophile’ music but for those who are into pop, fusion, EDM, rock etc … You will enjoy this amp.

The HINT 6 is laid back compared with the EX M1+. But HINT 6 seems to have a darker background (relatively). However, the HINT 6 won’t punch as hard as the EX M1+.

It’s got good value for money. Oh yes … it’s built like a tank. Solid. Very solid.

jonwoody and displayname like this.
  2. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I have new 2021 version with 100steps. This version has different PCB and I have doubt about inserting staccato opamp due to lack of place. There are capacitors in near the chips. I believe the staccato opamp fit without any problem into version of kinki ex-m1 before year 2020.
    I have clue some risers needs to be used also for staccato in version 2020-2021 but I don't know how many :)

3. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I have to say it sounded harsh right out of the box. After some couple of hours it definitely became better. I would say it sounds veeery nice after two weeks now!
    Kinki EX-M1+ is not suitable for all speakers that's true. But is it great match with Monitor Audio Gold 300 gen5. Who can try to get for home demo.

4. 2voltage

2voltage Member

Hello, do you have any update on how it going on with the Staccato opamp replace on EX-M1+?
    Thank you.

displayname likes this.
  5. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I'm interested too. I would like to try staccato into kinki.

6. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

So, I have all staccato in the Kinki now. The sound is definitely better than stock unit :)

2voltage likes this.
  7. 2voltage

2voltage Member

could you define its sound signature? for example, more on warm side? or bright side? etc

8. tIANcI

It’s to the cooler side. If say bright, it’s associated with harsh etc.

MC Rag and 2voltage like this.
  9. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I think it is fuller sound no bright sound with huge sound stage.
    [​IMG]

2voltage and chipcalzada like this.
  10. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Interesting amp ...:righton:

11. Temple

Temple Active Member

I wish anybody who has this integrated luck as the after sales support is complete garbage. Been waiting months to get a board so that I can fix a stuck volume control. Today I was hung up on by the rep from Kinki when I complained about not getting the board and then they tried to ask for all of the same info I had given months ago. Todd over at tek audio specialties is the person who is supposed to be in charge of US warranties but seems to lack any customer support skills or proper follow through.

MC Rag likes this.
  12. Skibum2

Skibum2 Forum Resident

How did things resolve themselves?Did they make good?

13. Anjo

Anjo Active Member

Me personally I have tried different combinations and came up with 2 single Sparkos 2 single Staccato 1 dual Staccato.
    I also noticed that the position of the Sparkos inner or outer slot was critical for the sound So put those Sparkos ss3601 in the outer left right slot

14. zargoz

zargoz Forum Resident

Did you compare this arrangement to all Staccato or all Sparkos-- if so, what were the differences? I am running all Staccato now but have the Sparkos units sitting in a box. It sounds great with the Staccato amps so I have been procrastinating on trying the others.

15. Anjo

Anjo Active Member

I made this comparison to all Staccato's with all Staccato's at the heights in the vocals for example with show of strength echo & the bunnymen it went shrill, the two Sparkos made it disappear but maybe my mind playing tricks with me.
    This week I have a second listening full Staccato to be sure and let you know my final thoughts.

I am also very curious about the first reviews of this new amplifier

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ep6tDXurpSM?feature=share3

312elements likes this.
  16. Anjo

Anjo Active Member

I stay with the combination 2 single Sparkos 2 single Staccato 1 dual Staccato, but also thinking of 4 single staccato's total and instead of a dual staccato as in my previous setup a dual sparkos ss3602

17. zargoz

zargoz Forum Resident

Thanks for the additional thoughts & detail. If I get time in the upcoming weekend I will get a couple of the Sparkos installed and see what I think.

Their new integrated didn't hit my radar... looks interesting but maybe a bit low on power for me. I had also missed the news about their "stunning series" top tier pre and mono amps... at 20k! Seems like a bit of a stretch for from their current position in the market. Good luck to them. I would be interested in seeing what they can do at a more intermediate level.

18. Anjo

Anjo Active Member

i'm looking forward to hear your thoughts

19. tIANcI

Got my hands on the EMEI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonwoody, Anjo, zargoz and 2 others like this.
  20. Skibum2

Skibum2 Forum Resident

Nice looking unit. What is the purpose of the window on the top of the amp is it just aesthetics?

21. Skibum2

Skibum2 Forum Resident

OK just watched the video again and answered my question.

22. tIANcI

So you can peer into its soul :D

23. Skibum2

Skibum2 Forum Resident

Anyone using the kinki monoblocks? Don't really need them but curious how they sound and preform. Only a few youtube reviews, something about those separate boxes. Always wanted to tryout a pair mangnapans seems like they would have enough current

24. TubeGuy76

TubeGuy76 Active Member

Is there a 4ohm rating for the EMEI? Wondering if these could run a set of Magnepan LRS+.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  25. Skibum2

Skibum2 Forum Resident

Steve Huff did a review today. He seem to be pretty happy with it