Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

They aren't hard to find. They sound excellent but have a few flaws. They have been discussed plenty, but sadly, most folks are wowed by the extra content in the deluxe sets and don't really care about the inferior sound quality.

2. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i think these are in fact different. they both claim to be previously unreleased in the deluxe edition liners unless that's a mistake.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Apparently, the upcoming Village Green 50th Anniversary release is going to be a box set.

See Andrew Sandovals' facebook post here:
    Andrew Sandoval

Cutting the lacquers for the Village Green box set with Kevin Gray tomorrow Cohearent Audio, LLC. Happy to report, this is the best I have ever heard the album sound in 30+ years of listening and admiring it through multiple pressings and reissues. Both mono & stereo have been matched to UK Pye originals for track spacing.

4. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

It's been discussed here for several months

rediffusion and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. The best issues for Arthur and Village Green are the original 80's releases. While the remastered deluxes aren't brickwalled, they are compressed. How well you like them will depend on how well you can tolerate compression and I find them essential for the bonus material. Village Green is one of the most compressed by the way (the deluxe 3 CD version) IMHO.

7. Love all of the deluxe editions, I can take the compression. But as VGPS is the most compressed of the lot, it’s great to have a new deluxe edition to look forward to. :)

8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Apologies if I have missed the info. How do you tell the Arthur deluxe from 2011 from the Arthur deluxe repress in 2014? Is the later version the one to likely be on sale new via Amazon UK? Thanks.

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

How does everyone rate the 66-70 reissues with the bonus tracks circa 1998.

Does i gotta rob a bank and put these on ice?

10. I like them and certainly don't have a problem with them BUT some people in this forum rip them to shreds and claim they are a hideous crime against humanity. I guess it pays not to have too many copies to compare them to but again I think they sound perfectly okay. They are not as good as the Deluxes but then the latter contain a lot of unnecessary padding so I prefer the Mono box as it gives the best presentation of the albums in their original form without additional padding or filler or wonky stereo mixes.

All Down The Line likes this.
  11. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Village Green is the main one where you are missing a whole load of bonus tracks. For the rest, most of the best ones were released in 98. Please note, a lot of the bonus tracks from 98 have been moved around to the deluxe of different albums,.......I’m not like everyone else and Mr Reporter for example are on Kontroversay for example instead of F2F.

Face to Face 98 is fine, some noise reduction on the fades and and intro’s, the deluxe is louder but has the original stereo mix which isn’t essential but also has some nice remixes and alternate versions, buy if you are a completist.

The 98 reissues of Something Else and VGPS I would stick in the trade pile, the deluxe of SE is the best reissue of the whole campaign, both mixes are worthy and the best source for the definitive mono mix. Great bonus tracks, however be aware There is no Life without love is now on the Dave Davies Hidden Treasures set and Lincoln County is on Arthur deluxe.

The 3CD of VGPS is better in every way IMO, it’s been a long time since I heard the 98 but I’m sure the stereo mix is a needle drop. So many essential bonus track on the 3CD and the upcoming 2 CD set.

98 of Arthur again is fine but has NR on fades, the Deluxe is loud and has both mixes with good bonus tracks, one of the mono Dave Davies tracks, can’t remember off hand which one, has an error, a big digital thump during the track. In terms of bonus tracks the best ones are already on the 98 version so you may want to skip if not a completist.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The track with the thump is the mono This Man He Weeps Tonight.
    The '98 Kink Kontroversy is the worst mastering I have ever heard - the Deluxe is much better.
    I also agree about getting the Deluxe Something Else. Besides the bonus tracks that the Deluxe has, the '98 sounds shrill and tinny, although not as bad as Kontroversy. I think the Deluxe of the first album sounds better than the '98.
    The 3 disc VGPS is a bargain in most places I've seen it.

13. All Down The Line

Phew, i can sleep tonight.
    Iam also guessing the 98' Village Green CD might sound better tham the 1st 3cd release with a certain drummers underpants?

14. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

No it doesn't, particularly the tracks that are needle drops, which comprise a good portion of the '98 edition. The "1st 3cd release" is the only 3 CD release, which came out in 2004.

15. Adam9

Not really:

All Down The Line and GetHappy!! like this.
  16. All Down The Line

Great effort.
    I always assumed that a 3cd VGPS would get thin on material?
    Hence i avoided it.

17. GetHappy!!

Pretty much posted the same time that you did. The deluxe editions, leaving out individual opinions about compression or EQ choices, are all better than the '98 issues. Especially Kontroversy, Something Else and VGPS.

sharedon, All Down The Line and Adam9 like this.
  18. GetHappy!!

Not thin at all. Possibly Ray and Dave's most fertile period.

19. All Down The Line

Pricewise or?

20. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

This.....

If anything the 3CD is still incomplete as Pictures in the Sand and Till Death us Do Part are missing and weren’t released till the 2014 Anthology. However they both make the upcoming 2CD.

21. All Down The Line

The upcoming 50th Anniversary set is only 2CD's!
    Why????
    If so i am not buying that plus the 3 CD so iam clueless now!

22. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Never mentioned this as it was outside the years he mentioned but I agree 100%.

23. Adam9

Yes, pricewise is what I meant. I'm not sure what you mean by "or". If it's in regard to the sound I don't think it's bad sounding.
    You may want to wait for the 2 CD set. I can see why you would not want both.
    The sound may better. Or not.

swedgin likes this.
  24. All Down The Line

I am just able not to make a reference to any Davies offspring conceived in this period.

Matthew Tate and GetHappy!! like this.
  25. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

No there is a multi SuperDeluxe box, here are my thoughts on both 2and 3CD editions from the other thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.