Kinks Reunion Inches Closer To Fruition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Jan 1, 2014.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I haven't seen Dave. I have seen Ray but it's been ten years or so. I don't think they could pull off what some old rockers can (Rolling Stones, Pretty Things, McCartney). I do think if they got someone like Andrew Sandoval to run the show, it could be very good if they kept it low key. He's done some impressive touring shows with The Monkees and some British Invasion package tours. The good thing about him is he really, really, really, really likes deep tracks. I can imagine Ray would have his own vision. I guess as long as Dave would keep a "in it for the ride" attitude, it could be very good. I never got to experience the Kinks and kind of hate that I was just a year or two too young when I heard they were playing St. Louis in the early 90's. Mother said I couldn't go!

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

As long as it's not his brother Gomer!

Dave Hoos likes this.
  3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Ray always talks up a Kinks reunion when he has a new release to promote.

4. Filip1701

Filip1701 Forum Resident

If they're gonna release a new album, they should name it "Kinks Komeback" or something like that.

5. All Down The Line

Maybe issue a compilation with 1 new recording and call it Konked?

6. From a recent Dave Davies interview:

And does that future include a Kinks reunion with brother Ray, with whom he had worked alongside on this new “Arthur” collection? “Well I’d rather not really comment, but me and Ray have spent a lifetime together putting this package together and listening to old archives and tapes. So there may be something coming up. I’m not sure what it will be yet.”

The Kinks’ Dave Davies On The 2019 Re-Release Of “Arthur” & The Guitar Heroes He Helped Inspire

Hep Alien, melstapler, Tord and 4 others like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I have no idea if this "reunion" is 2 steps forward and 1 step back OR 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Every month there is is a new inkling, but I'm not sure if it is actual progress of something based in reality. Or it is the 2 Davies brothers just yapping away?

[​IMG]

8. At this point I could care less about an actual Davies Bros. reunion as long as they continue to collaborate on the 50th anniversary Kinks box sets in 2020 and beyond. The Arthur box was wonderful. Give me Powerman next!

9. Arnold Grove

Or at least a T-shirt: ;)

[​IMG]

10. All Down The Line

I can see the moneygoround!

Hep Alien and Arnold Grove like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

12. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Wikipedia lists John Dalton and John Gosling as members of the reformed band alongside Ray, Dave and Mick as of 2019, but not sure how reliable that is!

13. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Yeah, I can't find another source that confirms that either, but that would be great. All of the Kast Off Kinks gigs through the end of next year were cancelled after the death of Ian Gibbons. Mick Avory, John Dalton, and (sometimes) John Gosling have been involved recently in that band. Makes you wonder if the three of them are otherwise occupied - we shall see.

Hep Alien, Dave Hoos and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Kinks Christmas email I received includes messages from Ray, Dave, and Mick. It's nice to see Mick included.

Subject line: Happy Christmas from The Kinks

Christmas Messages From The Kinks

"I just wanted to wish all the The Kinks Fans Family a very happy Christmas & New Year. It’s that time of year when our thoughts go out to all our loved ones - including those who are no longer here to share it with us. It was great to spend time with you at The Kinks Konvention in November and your never ending support continues to make me feel thankful to have you all. Looking onward to more music adventures in 2020. - Ray

Happy holidays to everyone, thank you for your support the last year.
    Looking forward to 2020!
    Love - Dave

To all our Loyal Kinks Fans, thank you for all your continued support through out 2019, its much appreciated and I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year. Sincerely - Mick Avory"

Hep Alien, Madrid, Revolver and 5 others like this.
  15. When Ray mentioned he was answering a call from Mick Avory in that video interview from a while ago, I think that info should not have gone public yet. If that never happened the band could easily be working up something without the media bothering them about it in every interview. The way Dave talks about it makes it still sound like something we're not supposed to know about yet.

16. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Well, "inches" is certainly the right word to describe this

Dave Hoos and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Didn't Britain go metric though? ;)

18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

What's the over/under that they're still unsure of reuniting by this time next year?

19. Arnold Grove

Considering that this thread was started in 2014, I'd say we'll be in the exact same spot next year at this time.

20. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I also heard that Jimmy Page might pick up a guitar in 2020, 0r was it 2010? :cool:

jethrowup and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. All Down The Line

Ask them This Time Tomorrow!

22. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I'd like to hear Dave playing guitar on some new Ray songs again. The guitar playing on Ray's solo albums is very good, but Dave is an artist.

23. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

No decision, no decision...all I ever get is a definite maybe.

Two Sheds, Dave Hoos and Beaneydave like this.
  24. Jef Skindzier

Jef Skindzier Forum Resident

He’s going on the tour. He’s gonna play the solo on You Really Got Me.

25. All Down The Line

Then even the deaf will realise it was Dave!

Hep Alien, ajsmith and Matthew Tate like this.