Kinks Village Green Preservation Society 50th Super Deluxe pricing, shipping, etc Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hutlock, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sticks

Sticks Forum Resident

Ordered mine yesterday, received a delivery date of Monday 19th but now the courier has advised it's coming tomorrow.

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

mine shipped !

croquetlawns and jsb! like this.
  3. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Me too!

It says arriving Monday, but when I click on the 'track package' button, it's moved forward to tomorrow by 8pm.

Either will do.

croquetlawns, fitzysbuna and jsb! like this.
  4. stiofan

stiofan Forum Resident

I think that you miss a few fundamental points. The first is that the physical packaging is woeful (for a hundred dollars, it's not unreasonable to expect cd spindles that work). The second is that, regardless of what other SDEs contain, it is an objective fact that the Kinks catalogue has been ruthlessly recycled in order to squeeze as many dollars as possible out of fans. The formula is now set in stone: reissue the same old tracks, add one or two previously unissued tracks plus one or two remixes and a few old publicity photos and call it a new edition. It is breathtakingly cynical, but a purely capitalist way of operating.

It is also ironic that so many people gush about the supposed intellectual or moral qualities of VGPS. As this latest reissue amply demonstrates, Ray Davies is not a latterday William Blake or Eric Blair. The songs say one thing, but the jingle of the guinea plays an entirely different tune.

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I can't comment on the physical packaging yet, but I agree with you on the recycling of material, although in that the Kinks are not alone - Small Faces and the Doors are probably even worse offenders, Miles Davis Kind of Blue SDE did not contain any new material etc. I guess the issue isn't the SDE itself, as these really are expected to contain everything, but the original decision to release a SDE when there isn't enough unreleased material to justify it. But of course if people buy them then of course they'll keep releasing them. I had originally planned on just getting the 2 cd version of VGPS, but then the price dropped so dramatically on the box it was worth it! I do wonder how many copies of the Ogden's Nut Gone Flake SDE have been sold, which was basically a re-issue of the 2012 deluxe version with a readily available dvd added - perhaps if that fails (and the complaints have been very loud on that one) record companies will think again about recycling material at such high prices.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the small faces are a bit different as the band are only getting money from it only on the last few releases so they missed out on a lot of money . the doors and elvis and probably the worst !

7. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

mine Is nearly here ! so wish me luck that I have the box set !

jsb!, croquetlawns and Bonddm like this.
  8. stiofan

stiofan Forum Resident

It has arrived from amazonAu- The full boxset (at the bargain price). And, before anyone asks, no Time single. :)

jsb!, croquetlawns, downer and 2 others like this.
  9. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yep ! its a sunny very day here in Melbourne and I just took delivery of mine ! it looks good !

10. Dave Hoos

I wasn't going to.

11. Dave Hoos

Are you in the eastern suburbs? I haven't got mine yet and I have to go out very soon for the rest of the day.

12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

northern suburbs Reservoir

13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i just bougght the 2cd version on amazon for around $6. i had some credit card cash back bonus so couldn't pass this up.

croquetlawns and fitzysbuna like this.
  14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Mine arrived in top shape. Looking forward to breaking into it over the weekend, seeing as I've already listened to the entire set multiple times over.

Dave Hoos and fitzysbuna like this.
  15. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

Yay both of mine arrived! Bargain of the year I’d say!

RiRiIII, Dave Hoos and jsb! like this.
  16. croquetlawns

Yes - wish I'd got two!

17. croquetlawns

True - from the track list it looks as though the SDE of the Elvis 68 Comeback Special has no unreleased audio or video.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  18. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Mine got here today while I was at work - I’ve just a quick look through while ripping the CDs. One of the better $40 box sets I’ve ever bought!

Thanks to all my fellow Amazon AU purchasers; this whole process was made more fun by following along & joining in the conversation here.

19. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Yeah, I have to have till Monday to receive mine, but I’ll be a hell of a lot more relaxed now I know all you good folk received the right item.

20. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Mine too - happy days :)

fitzysbuna likes this.
  21. Dave Hoos

I'm out in East Ringwood. I got an email at 7.58 PM saying it will be here by 8 PM, lol.

I later received an apology email telling me how sorry they were that it wouldn't be delivered until Monday. Then I was told that I will get a $10 credit for my next purchase.

Jolly decent of them.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

here is a question for the Aussies ! how much profit is JBHIFI making off the set?

23. croquetlawns

The $230 JB HiFi price isn't too far off the current Amazon UK and USA price, so I think the question is 'How much did Amazon Australia lose by offering it at such low price for two days????'

Dave Hoos and fitzysbuna like this.
  24. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Got mine yesterday from amazon.fr, 98€.
    Nice set, I did not check the cards yet

RiRiIII likes this.
  25. croquetlawns

ps. for the $230 price I meant factoring in shipping the boxes to Australia!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.