Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Yes indeed - the same system that permits accurate information also promulgates the inaccurate. :agree:

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It's a little bit like Wikipedia, in that people can submit corrections and additional info, though, if they notice and have time on their hands to do such things. :)

googlymoogly likes this.
  3. googlymoogly

Very much so. Hopefully, that eventually means that the accurate gradually supplants the inaccurate.

4. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

Without parsing through 158 pages of posts, could someone tell me how the 2014, mono EU Sanctuary Something Else with red 'Kinks 50th' sticker sounds?

5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Don't know. I had the one with the black sticker, which indicates that it's AAA done by Kevin Gray, if I remember correctly. I got rid of mine after I got the box set.

6. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

Wait, I thought only the first four had black stickers with KG mastering, and the rest of the KG AAA issues were only available as part of the box?

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Yeah, that's what I remember, too. From the red sticker collection, I have Arthur because it's the stereo mix, and the KG AAA cut is the mono mix which I've never liked. There are absolutely no mastering credits for the red sticker ones, but I do know that it sounds better than the Deluxe.

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

^^^THIS^^^

allbrosca and Stone Turntable like this.
  9. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

+ (another) 1

Stone Turntable and Ben Adams like this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I mean, from the outside it looks nuts that Lola has been skipped. Everything up to it has been reissued on vinyl, and now the couple after it have also been reissued. Is it being held back for another deluxe? Are there other issues?

11. marmil

And AFAIK, no one involved in any Kinks reissue program has even mentioned the Lola album, which was only their biggest LP to that time (I think - and if it wasn't it had to be close).

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Bingo. 50th anniversary

Ben Adams and giantleech like this.
  13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Lola got the Deluxe Edition treatment on CD in 2014, so it's odd that there hasn't been an LP reissue.

14. marmil

Yes it did get a DE, but it was unlike the rest of the series in that it came in a jewel case - not even a fatboy - whereas the others came in double digipaks with the Deluxe Edition banner, which Lola was also lacking.

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Meanwhile the price for US copies of Lola on Reprise is steadily going through the roof. I think my local here in Phoenix would easily get $40 for a minty copy.

aoxomoxoa and savemenow like this.
  16. marmil

If you can find an affordable orig Reprise WLP, get it. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  17. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I have the hi-res of that one from this past March. The EQ on it is smoother than the Deluxe, but there is compression, though not as heavy on it as the Deluxe (which was released 4 years ago tomorrow, FYI)

18. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Well, I have the Deluxe Lola and I don't think it sounds compressed. It has a very pleasant sound.

19. marmil

Is that fro HDTracks or somewhere else?

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes it is a bit of an odd man out in the reissues with bonus discs of the Pye era. As has been stated there is no vinyl version either so I think the vinyl remains only as second hand reissues/originals from the past. I am 158 pages late to this thread and don't really no where to start. I have the recent mono vinyl box and a bunch of the recent red vinyl and black vinyl reissues of the early Pye albums. I think I am right in assuming the vinyl mono box is very well regarded.
    Re the RCA albums is it just Muswell and Showbiz available as recent vinyl reissues?

CheshireCat likes this.
  21. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Sleepwalker was reissued as well (by Friday Music, I believe).

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That’s Arista

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

So, just so I’m clear...the Kevin Gray analog mastering of Something Else is only available in the mono box set? The EU version was done by someone else?

24. googlymoogly

Yes, I believe that's accurate. The first 4 mono UK albums were remastered by Kevin Gray for the Sanctuary label, pressed in the U.S., and issued on vinyl prior to the "Kinks in Mono" vinyl box set. KINKS KUT FROM ORIGINAL PYE MASTER TAPES!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    jon9091 likes this.
  25. marmil

That is correct. And FYI since individual albums/CDs from box sets are not allowed to be listed on Discogs, if you check the Vinyl Records, CDs, and More For Sale at Discogs Marketplace listing from time to time you'll see the individual LPs for sale there.

jon9091 likes this.