Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

2. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

In fact this just arrived in my inbox:

Kinks - Face To Face

Tom Favata, Tropehjelm and tug_of_war like this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ha - only $85! Ridiculous

4. chacha

Probably yes. Btw, I don’t really find the tri color sounds “better”.

5. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I have "original" stereo pressings of Face to Face, VGPS, and Arthur on the Reprise label, but not the tri color one. They all sound good, but IMO the new 2018 VGPS sounds better. I was just curious if there were equivalents for the other records. Hopefully we get new pressings of thoe like we did with VGPS this past year!

Prophetzong likes this.
  6. marmil

According to Discogs, Face To Face was never re-pressed in the US so the only pressings that exist are the tri-colors.

Out of all of them, on Face To Face was a tri-color. The others were the 2-tone Reprise label. When I was in high school I worked in a record store that opened in 1968. Since very few people in my hometown had any taste in music, the records sat there for several years so I was able to get sealed original pressings of Face To Face, Something Else VG, Arthur & Lola. The top price for an LP at the time was either $4.99 or $5.99 so for $30 or less I got that entire chunk of their catalog. I still have them.

7. marmil

For a sealed copy I think it's a bargain.

john lennonist likes this.
  8. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Rather late to this party, but I recently got the mono box set and it all sounds really great. However, much like the Stones mono box, some of the cover sleeve quality is pretty weak. Blurry pictures, etc. Makes you really appreciate what Analogue Productions did with the Beach Boys stuff. No comparison.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Steven

Steven Senior Member

Does anyone’s Village Green from the box have pretty bad sibilance on Sitting by the Riverside? This is the only side I’ve listened to so far. I don’t have IGD problems on other records, though I’m just getting started in vinyl again and haven’t played many, but I thought enough probably to judge.

I assume no problems from all the raves, and I have heard a vinyl rip online of a 2016 KG cut of Village Green and I agree it is the best I have ever heard. That one had a different run out inscription, it just said KG as far as I could see instead of KPG@CA like my copy. Different label design too.

I bought the mono box new from US Amazon in December (it was really cheap with xmas pricing and discount) but was waiting to get my new TT (old Technics 1200mk2) set up properly to play the expensive box. My Shure v15III with new Jico non-sas HE is perfectly aligned with Baerwald, and passed most of the Hifi news test tracks today with no buzzing (side 2 all good), so it was time to finally try out the box.

So is it this pressing or do I still have work to do on the table setup? The record has lots of light scratches and audible scuff on the first track from i assume the inner sleeve (which I replaced), but that wouldn’t be the cause of this problem. I cleaned it with spin doctor and vinyl vac.

10. innergroove16

innergroove16 Forum Resident

I experienced mistracking too on that track when I first got the box. I thought it was just the pressing since I had a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge with a retipped line-contact stylus (a pretty good cart and stylus). Ever since I upgraded to the Dynavector 20x2L (MicroRidge stylus), everything cleared up.

Unfortunately, I would say your stylus is the culprit here. I have the test record too, and unfortunately, it can be misleading compared to actual tracking on records. Making lesser styli appear better and vice-versa in my experience. When you have the chance to upgrade your stylus, look to something that is comparable to MicroLine, MicroRidge, Optimized Line Contact, etc. I believe the SAS version of the Jico is similar, and might be a suitable fix, but I haven't researched enough to know. I also love a more precise alignment tool like the Mint Tractor, but it's not essential.

That Technics table is a great workhorse of a turntable, and will treat you well! Good luck!

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just to clarify, you're talking about the Mono KG cut of Village Green from the Mono Box, NOT the Stereo one from the VGPS Deluxe Box?

In any case, to optimize for inner groove tracking, you want STEVENSON alignment, NOT Baerwald or Lofgren.

12. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

You can make sibilance on a mono record nearly inaudible by summing the channels to mono with a y cable. It won't solve the mistracking but it'll make playback much more pleasant to listen to.

marigoldilemma likes this.
  13. Steven

Steven Senior Member

Yes sorry I was talking about the Mono box. Looking into Stevenson now. The only reason I went with Baerwald is the arc protractor on vinyl engine for the Technics had Baerwald and I was actually able to accomplish aligning it, which I wasn't able to do with the stevenson protractors I found, but I need try more.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. Steven

Steven Senior Member

Thanks! That is good to hear you had that problem too but found a fix. After maybe trying a little more aligning I will have to look into stylus replacement.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you have a Technics overhang gauge that isn't warped, use that. If you don't, get an accurate ruler and set the cart and headshell carefully on it's side. Adjust until the very tip of the stylus is 52mm from the rubber washer. That will give you Technics proprietary alignment, which IIRC is based on Stevenson with some tweaks.

If you want to use a protractor, download the Conrad Hoffman program from Vinyl Engine (or Google for his site) and make your own Stevenson arc protractor. You'll need to enter some numbers to get an accurate protractor, then verify it with some measuring tools. The pivot to spindle distance = effective length minus overhang. Check specs in your manual for those numbers (overhang + effective length).

Steven likes this.
  16. marmil

I'm pretty sure there are 3 mono vinyl versions of most of the Kinks' Pye LPs: US, Europe, & mono box, and some of them have different markings. I think I'm right about this but please let me know if I'm not (and I really can't get up right now & look at the damn records!).

17. wes

wes Senior Member

I really like the mono mix of Arthur.. First time I’ve ever heard it.
    With the more prominent bass and drums it’s got a funkier feel.
    The stereo feels more like a jazz rock band like Chicago or Blood Sweat and Tears..
    The mono feels more like The Kinks to me.. More exciting!

cwitt1980, FJFP, CheshireCat and 3 others like this.
  18. Steven

Steven Senior Member

Update to my problem with sibilance on Sitting By the Riverside. I upgraded to a Jico SAS stylus from Jico VN35HE, and yup that is better, thank you. A little brighter and/or revealing as I guess is the nature of micro tips, but there are many variables I have yet to explore and it stills sounds very nice. And, yes if I fold down the channels even the HE i realized wasn't that bad, and folding seems to be the only choice at least on my system as the Left channel has less bass and that's the one with less sibilance, might be an issue with my setup in progress rather than the pressing though, haven't checked yet. I did manage to get the Conrad Hoffman generator working with a Windows .exe software emulator on Mac and am aligned Stevenson now. Thanks all.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

2018 VGPS stereo lp is what a reissue should sound like. :cool: Fantastic pressing. I bought this on Pretty.Odd’s favorable opinion.Thank You very much.

20. wes

wes Senior Member

I just recently bought the kinks mono box...
    I gotta say these sound better than the the Pye originals...
    more bass on the Kevin Gray versions..

21. Kinda Krimson

Kinda Krimson Well-Known Member

Love the VGPS 2018 reissue in stereo. Still need to listen to the mono 2018. I also just pulled the trigger on the mono box set! Very excited to get it.

savemenow, FJFP and Tropehjelm like this.
  22. chacha

Is the mono box still in print?
    That’s cool.

23. Kinda Krimson

Kinda Krimson Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Got it off of Amazon.

chacha likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have the mono box (vinyl) which is great in my view. I have about 3 recent vinyl issues of the first 4 Kinks albums on vinyl (one lot are all on red vinyl). I believe one set were done by Kevin Gray but I am not much good at interpreting deadwax information into plain English. Any other clues re the packaging? I really do not need all 12 records!

25. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

So you have 3 sets of 4 records? They were sold that way, in a set of 4?