Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I have a mid-70's re-issue U.S. copy and has always sounded excellent to me, no issues with the sonics of it, at all.

chacha likes this.
  2. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I've yet to hear a US or Canada Reprise version that is nearly as good as an original Pye from those countries.

3. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

As I’ve stated before, I have a slightly crackly Pye and a red/green PRT from I guess the late 70s, and they sound identically fantastic.

hodgo likes this.
  4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I don't think Kinks records were released by Reprise in Canada. They were on the Pye label.

Buddybud and Revolver like this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You’re very welcome. :thumbsup:

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My UK Pye runs a bit fast compared to my US. Lost my original perfect Pye when I foolishly loaned to a guitar student for Lola many years ago and never got back. Tracked down another early UK fairly recently which unfortunately doesn’t sound great.

Revolver likes this.
  7. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

You're right. Come to think of it, Canada did not reissue any of the Kinks studio albums ever. Reprise were all US reissues.

8. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Interesting. What version did you get that didn't sound great? People around here have mostly said positive things about the UK Kinks pressings. Which one is your favorite of the pressings you've had?

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Pye I bought on day of release and arrival in States. I was 15 at the time and didn’t know anything then about deadwax etc.

Rich C likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's a tremendous sounding record! i just wish i could find one that wasn't "well-loved" or a cutout.

11. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

The 50th boxed set was moved to Jan 2021. Is it really going to be limited?

12. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Isn't it kind of amazing in retrospect? I know I had at least a couple of records that had some messages written in the dead wax. Never saw it until I showed up here to tell you the truth. Certainly not even close to realizing this knowledge could serve as clues to a record that may be worth buying.

What's really funny about it is that I was always amazed watching the dead wax as the groove seemed to travel to the dead wax. That is just an optical illusion, right?

13. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

It was not moved, I received mine

14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I agree Freddie, whilst I don't have the Lola PRT release, I do have a couple of others inlcuding The Kinks Are Well Respected Men which sounds fabulous!

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's a terrific, highly useful compilation, taylor made to complement the UK albums. They should reissue something like this!

CheshireCat and johnnybrum like this.
  16. Jack

Jack Senior Member

New reissue of Kinks first album up at Bull Moose. Red vinyl, mid January.

17. hodgo

Absolutely it is, it's a fantastic collection that contains songs by the band that should have been included in the mono vinyl set instead of the Black Album.

For those who have the mono vinyl set, I highly recommend doing what I did and slot these two collections into your set, the latter being the best compilation of 60's hit singles there is.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Still, I'm wondering how limited the Lola boxed set will be. Amazon US says 1/22/21 release. So does Popmarket. The vinyl LP reissue will be released in the U.S. on Friday the 18th.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    mikedifr0923 likes this.
  19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I just got 20 Golden Greats mint for a fiver. Now to source the Well Respected Men comp.

20. Would love to have this, have coveted it for some time. I do have a great PRT Kinks compilation - the German PRT pressing, meant to be really good in terms of sound quality, which it is, but this has a much more comprehensive track listing. Fifty quid for a used one on the net though !

Neonbeam and CheshireCat like this.
  21. MikeyVan

MikeyVan MoFaux Fraudelity Scam Labs Digi-Vinyl fan

Hi Graham,

How is the Sound quality on that Ronco set?

22. hodgo

Hi Mikey

The SQ on this LP is outstanding, it's also the best Kinks 60's hits compilation out there, one I've enjoyed since I bought it new around 40 years ago.

Neonbeam and CheshireCat like this.
  23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It’s unbelievably good, despite having 11 tracks on Side One.

hodgo likes this.
  24. MikeyVan

MikeyVan MoFaux Fraudelity Scam Labs Digi-Vinyl fan

Thanks Graham and culubula.

I have the Kinks 20th Anniv 3LP comp which has all but 2 of the tracks on 20 Golden Greats. It also has many of the tracks on Kinks Are Well respected Men.

The Kinks - 20th Anniversary Box Set

Still can be found stateside for a decent price.

hodgo, oldjollymon and FJFP like this.
  25. Yep - this is the one I was talking about. In fact, I'm listening to it now. I picked it up for about £25 s/hand a few years ago, cleaned it, sounds great.

hodgo likes this.