Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

Thanks. I thought I might have read along the way somewhere that it came from analog and didn't see it addressed when I became curious , but yeah, unlikely. Some of the digital remasters have super great sound and reveal information from recordings that just weren't there before. So it's not necessarily a negative

Adam9 and BrettyD like this.
  2. donohed

Bought a 1980 VG prt Canada the other day for $29 + 4 off ebay. Supposedly nm, but that remains to be heard. I probably should have just stuck with the SDE's stereo vinyl, but as a dog chases its tail, so I do for the preferred sound.
    PRT pressings from Germany, UK, and Spain are each held high in sq, but I've since read here twice that this title from Canada sounds ' crunchy ', from surface noise. The lacquer was cut by rca Toronto. I'd like to think, as most report, that no matter what country they're pressed in, the prt pressings have kick ass sq. Anxious to compare it with the '18 SDE.
    17 days later now and my 10 lp In Mono collection is still in domestic ' transit '.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  3. donohed

This thread needs a new Kinks rerelease to revive it. Comparing my new 1980 ( nm ) VG prt with the sde vinyl, but am unable to conclude if I like, or if one is better than the other.
    Sde is certainly louder. it has a sharper, colder sound. Along with being more quiet, prt is more ton-ey. I heard strings somewhere more prominently on sde, which was nice, and i don't know which song it was, maybe I just missed it, but the voice seemed to be disappearing for the final words before going into the recurring chorus , or middle parts on prt. Not so, if I wasn't imagining it, on sde. I don't know. I'm really just turning on to these guys records, and really getting into it. I expected, wanted , one to be better than the other, but it's not so obvious to me. So far, I can only say they're quite different for sure.
    My In mono set is still lost in the mail. The last one, it seems, not outrageously, outrageously priced.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  4. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone bought the Percy picture disc on RSD? I'm interested to hear what folks think of it.

5. beartrackrecords

beartrackrecords Forum Resident

Got it. Overall, for a picture disc, it sounds very good. Little muted sounding though but will have to put on my other press to compare. Beautiful looking disc though.

Goldy likes this.
  6. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

It sounds good. Big and warm.

Was worried when I saw it was a picture disk, but it's not an issue.

7. marigoldilemma

Is this an RSD exclusive, or will it be available for purchase later?

8. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I was hoping until last minute that picture disk announcement was a mistake and it would be done like other reissues, Kevin Gray mastered vinyl with Pye blue labels. Oh well, one less to buy.

9. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Heard it and it sounds as good as my original Pye. Yes, ever so slight swooshing between tracks, but barely noticable. Ask yourself. Would Kevin Gray master a crap record?

beartrackrecords likes this.
  10. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

How does God's Children sound on your copy? Everything else sounds great, but that one track is muddy and dull.

11. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

It’s muddy on my original too. Almost sounds like a blanket is covering the speakers. Kind of like Village Green Preservation Society (song). Some songs just can’t be fixed when recorded badly.

beartrackrecords and BroJB like this.
  12. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

13. Jack

Jack Senior Member

puelche and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

How do you know it's the same as the mono box? The box certainly isn't red vinyl, but if it has KG in the deadwax, then it probably is from the same lacquer (most likely). The link doesn't provide any matrix information.

15. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I played each song from each album. No difference.

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The 50th anniversary vinyl editions of Village Green, Arthur, and Lola have been high-res. Many wouldn't be able to know just upon listening to them if they were analog or digital. I guess we won't really know for sure until there is some marketing about it being all analog. I just don't see them going back to the tapes anymore. If it's from the lacquer that cut the mono box, that's a different story. At some point, someone will get some deadwax information and then we'll know for sure.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  17. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

So I'll revive this thread. Is there any good sounding vinyl edition of Muswell Hillbillies? I have the first pressing RCA but it just sounds "meh." I had a modern no-name version earlier - not the 2xLP, I could have sworn it was Rhino, but Discogs says no such thing exists - thought it sounded flat, then bought a first edition thinking it would sound better. It did maybe a little but sure not a lot.

Otherwise, I think I'm in an ok place with my Kinks collection. Just as by way of intro, this is my stash:

• Sanctuary Face To Face on its way from Amazon.
    • Stereo 1976 Reprise Something Else (This actually sounds quite good. Instrument separation is great).
    • 1980s Stereo Spanish PRT VGPS (Sounds very good, but I think the 50th might actually sound better. Dunno.)
    • 50th anniversary VGPS (maybe the best sounding version? I keep the PRT copy I have just because its AAA).
    • 1980s Spanish PRT Arthur (stereo mix, sounds great. Is the recent 2x LP Sanctuary worth it for the second LP bonus material?)
    • 1970 Reprise Lola (sounds awesome - I don't know if I'd need the 50th sound-wise but wondering if the book is worth the price of admission)
    • 1971 RCA Muswell Hillbillies (Dyanflex!)
    • 1972 pressing of Kronickles

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    monomusic and cwitt1980 like this.
  18. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

Is Muswell Hillbillies the Velvel version?
    From memory it was just a straight reissue…not 2LP I don’t think….

19. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

It probably was. At some point there was a 2x LP reissue with bonus material on the second LP, but I haven't heard it. And for what it's going for now on Discogs, I don't think I'll be hearing it anytime soon.

20. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

The original UK is the best I've heard. Not great clarity on the recording though.

Leviethan and bjlefebvre like this.
  21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Agreed. I have a pristine UK RCA pressing of Muswell and it sounds great, for what it is.

bjlefebvre, cwitt1980 and Bobsblkwax like this.
  22. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Well if your 1970 Reprise Lola is like mine, then it is an original pressing by Artisan, which is just about as good as it gets. Good to know about the Stereo 1976 Reprise Something Else because my copy is still sealed and unopened. And as far as the 1971 RCA Muswell Hillbillies vinyl, my original Indianapolis Pressing is the best I have ever heard (although it is quiet - that is to say low in volume - compared to the vinyl).

23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think if you're into mono, you should track down the PRT mono of Village Green or spring for the mono box. The box set versions all sound fantastic. AAA and Kevin Gray cuts. I'm hoping someone as keen as Prof Stoned would transfer those so we can once and for all have good digital versions of the mono mixes.

I have the 2LP Muswell. It sounds great. It's from high-res, I assume. The bonus stuff sounds much better than they did on the CD. My older US Muswell is okay but it's floppy RCA and it's sort of muddy (but that's how it's suppose to be).

I would recommend getting the Great Lost Kinks Album on Reprise. My copy is a bit worn but still sounds great. It goes for more than I'd want to pay now. AND... while I don't have it, the Four Well Respected Men comp on PRT gathers up all the singles not on the albums. I assume it sounds good being a PRT. They also did the album that never was Dave comp. I don't have one... yet.

bjlefebvre and palisantrancho like this.
  24. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree. My first copy was a Pickwick label. Once I started upgrading audio sources, it didn't sound particularly great. Some time back, I snagged a first press Dynaflex. Obviously, it was well taken care of, and it sounds so good, I've never even bothered to get a later pressing.

25. marigoldilemma

I have the 2xLP RSD of Muswell Hillbillies and it sounds good. I do not have an original pressing to compare to.