Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I got that 2xLP when it first came out (no idea it was out of press - but it seems most vinyl is these days), it does sound really good though!

bjlefebvre likes this.
  2. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I was actually looking at those on Discogs last night. Once I get another credit card payment in, I might spring for a copy. I had never heard of it before yesterday, but after reading someone describe it as "Kinks Kronickles II" I figured it was something I was going to have to shell out for at some point....

Bobsblkwax likes this.
  3. bjlefebvre

Does that include the VGPS box set - the one with the 2 LPs and 3 CDs? Or are you just referring to the 2016 Kinks Mono Collection box set that's going for beaucoup bucks? The Kinks – The Mono Collection (2016, Box Set)

Sorry - I'm sure this has all been hashed over earlier in the thread. But as has been mentioned already, the Kinks re-issue catalog are as messy as the Kinks first-issues catalog.

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Mono box. Everything is AAA except for the black album compilation. That's digital and sounds a little trebly. I found an original of that and it's much warmer than what's in the box. They couldn't have made too many units of the mono box. Something Else, Village Green, and Arthur never made it to individual pressings either. While I know it's hard to go back and do AAA again, surely those lacquers used to cut those albums must still have some life in them. Maybe one day they'll be back out on the streets.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

For the most part, it's the stuff that didn't make it to the Village Green album.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

These days it’s easy to realise that a number of these cuts would be better attributed to Something Else instead, such as Rosemary Rose and Lavender Hill. Such is time.

Hep Alien and cwitt1980 like this.
  7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That's true. Although between the Hinman book and the scattered deluxe sets, box sets, and Anthology box, session dates get pretty confusing in the land of Kinks. I tried to keep a list but it's a little outdated since Sandoval finally got some newer dates established with the recent anniversary sets.

bjlefebvre and Hep Alien like this.
  8. bjlefebvre

Thanks for all that info - much appreciated! Is that info from Sandoval in the booklets in the 50th reissue copies? I really don't want to buy doubles of albums I already have good pressings of, but dammit the booklet info sounds intriguing. Or is there a book out there you'd suggest? I looked up the Hinman book you mentioned but again, O$O$P$. So far the only book I have on the Kinks is the 331/3 on VGPS.

9. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I could imagine The Great Lost Kinks Album as a RSD release. I'm not suggesting you hold out indefinitely, for a RSD LP, of course, and maybe you prefer an original, anyway, but it does seem a possible release... Kronikles in 2020, Percy in 2021...

cwitt1980, bjlefebvre and FJFP like this.
  10. bjlefebvre

Good point. But wasn't that one the subject of a "cease and desist" lawsuit back in the day? Wondering if that would make a RSD release any more difficult. From Wikipedia: "Davies and the Kinks management first learned of the album's existence from the US Billboard record chart. Davies instituted legal action against Reprise, which resulted in Reprise discontinuing the album in 1975."

I've never heard Percy in my life, and own nary a picture disc, but holy moly the RSD pressing is going cheap on Discogs. Might have to add that to the want list....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  11. johnnybrum

I'd like to think that RD has got over it, by now :) After all, the tracks have all appeared on various releases, since, so he's hopefully not that sensitive about it... I'm sure a deal can be done.

12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Honestly, that Hinman book is best as a nice day to day read and following reviews, interviews, etc. There's been so much more information regarding the recordings that the book is wrong in a lot of places. Once it hits the 70's, I don't think he even attempted to find actual dates. Or maybe the RCA/Arista recording sheets were harder to obtain. Pretty much any of the deluxes that Sandoval has been part of try to have session dates and where stuff was recorded. There's still some mysteries out there.

13. FJFP

Last year when I was doing podcast work I ran through all the Deluxe CD and Box Set booklets, and a little bit of kindakinks.net, and this was what I came up with. Ignore any typos etc, as I only made it for personal notes, but either way it's fascinating putting everything into context. There's also a couple that had some conflicting info to work with - here I just used my ears to work out what paired best with what.

1963:

Regent Sound, 19th October - I Believed You / I’m a Hog

1964:

Regent Sound, Jan - I Don’t Need You Anymore (Demo)

Jan 17th / 20th 1964 - Long Tall / I Took / You Still / You Do / I Don’t Need You Anymore

Jun 1964? – It’s Alright

July 1964? – YRGM

Aug 18th-Sept 1st – KINKS LP (12 Songs) + TOWFY (overdub Dec 29th)

Aug 31st-1st – I Gotta Move

Sept 23-24th – All Day And AOTN / I Gotta Go Now

Oct 19th – Louie Louie / I’ve Got That Feeling

Nov 18th – Things Are Getting Better

Regent Sound, 10th Dec - Everybody’s Gonna Be Happy (demo)

Dec 22nd/23rd – Something Better Beginning / Ev’rybody’s / Who’ll be The Next In Line / Come on Now

Dec 29th – Don’t Ever Change (+ TOWFY Overdub)

1965:

15th-17th Feb – KINDA KINKS (8 Songs) LP

14th Apr – Set Me Free / I Need You / Time Will Tell / Never Met A Girl Like You Before / Such a Shame

3rd May – See My Friends / Wait Till The Summer Comes Along

Regent Sound, 25th May – Ray Demos x5

Regent Sound, 31st May – This I Know (Demo)

6th Aug – A Well Respected / Don’t You Fret

Early Aug (?) – Milk Cow Blues / Ring The Bells

23-30th Oct – KONTROVERSY LP (10 Songs)

Dec 30th - You're Looking Fine / And I Will Love You / Sittin on My Sofa

Dec – All Night Stand

1966:

Jan – Dandy

Feb 2 - Mr Reporter (Ray) / Dedicated (v1)

Feb 7 - She's Got Everything (first tracking) / Dedicated Follower of Fashion (single)

April - Party Line / Too Much On My Mind / Most Exclusive Residence For Sale / House In The Country / End of The Season

May - Rosy / Session Man / Rainy Day / Holiday in Wakiki / This Is Where I Belong

May 12th – I’m not Like Everybody Else

May 13th - Sunny Afternoon / Fancy

June 21st - Little Miss Queen Of Darkness

October 21st - Big Black Smoke / Dead End Street V1

October 22nd - Dead End Street

November 24th/25th - Two Sisters / Village Green (Strings Feb '67)

Jan to Feb - Act Nice and Gentle (Jan) / No Return / Harry Rag (Feb) / Tin Soldier Man (Early to mid)/ Situation Vacant (Early to mid)

Mar - Mr Pleasant

Apr - Waterloo Sunset

May-Jun - David Watts / Afternoon Tea / Funny Face

Jun - Death of a Clown / Love Me Till the Sunshines / Lazy old Sun / Little Women (Backing Track) / Rosemary Rose

July – Good Luck Charm

Aug - Susannah's Still Alive / Lavender Hill

Sept - Autumn Almanac / Mr. Songbird

Autumn – Sitting by The Riverside (to May 1968) / Starstuck (to July 1968) / Phenomenal Cat (to may 1968) / All Of My Friends (to July 1968) / Berkeley Mews

1968:

Jan – There’s No Life Without Love (til March)

March – Walter (or July) / Picture Book (or May) / Monica (Or May) / Animal Farm / Wonderboy / Polly / Did You See His Name (or May) / Egg Stained Pyjamas / Lincoln County

29th March – Johnny Thunder / Mick Avory’s Underpants

3rd-27th May – Days / Overdubs to She’s Got Everything / Pictures in the Sand / Easy Come, there You Went

May – Misty Water

July – Wicked Annabella (maybe Nov 1966)

August – The Village Green Preservation Society / People Take Pictures

Sept – Till Death us Do part

Oct – Big Sky / Steam Powered Trains

Dec – Hold My Hand / Do You Wish To Be A Man / Creeping Jean / Crying

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

This just saved me a bunch of updating work. Thanks!

FJFP likes this.
  15. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

Can you list those titles, that the Lost songs ended up on anyway ?

16. donohed

I preferred the dynaflex pressing for the actual album. It reminds me of the McCartney archive series, I bought the doubles, kept the bonus album, and sold off the original title record

17. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

It's worth it just for the groovy instrumental version of Lola. But there's plenty more to enjoy - definitely worth a pickup.

18. johnnybrum

Best thing is to have a look at the entry at The Great Lost Kinks Album and click on each song, to see where it can be found.

It wouldn't be that easy to collect all 14 songs, from scratch, as some are only on box sets, but at least it shows that they have actually been released, meaning that a re-release of The Great Lost, in theory, shouldn't really be any issue... I'm just guessing it could be on vinyl for RSD, next year. A simple, straightforward 14-track CD would also make sense, but that doesn't seem to be the way things are done any more...

donohed likes this.
  19. donohed

Wow i didn't know about that resource, thanks. Groovy movie s is on the second Arthur double album, so that page may be updated some. Either way, a tricky endeavor to collect / have all those songs separately Especially for one who prefers vinyl.
    Yeah, it sure would be a great rerelease, with the hand of a good mastering engineer

20. bjlefebvre

Stumbled on a first UK stereo pressing of Face To Face today for a relative bargain. It cleaned up nicely. Plum-colored Pye label, deep groove. Sold VG, with hairlines that cause occasional crackle that doesn't overpower the music. But man, if the label didn't say "STEREO" I'd assume this was mono. I might try listening to it again with the amp in mono mode to see if cuts the noise without actually changing the presentation.

FJFP and James H. like this.
  21. bjlefebvre

The Kevin Gray mono version from 2015 sounds more stereo than the 1966 Pye "stereo" version.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  22. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

The stereo is there. But narrow. You need to listen with headphones very intently to hear it.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

24. FJFP

hodgo likes this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What would be great is if all the KG mono cuts came back in print as individual LPs. Here in the U.S. only the first 4 albums were issued individually. More were planned and were even up for preorder, but Sanctuary/BMG canceled them at the last minute.