Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That would only make sense. I hope so because I just ordered Kontroversy through Import CDs!

2. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

This is getting confusing! So the US vinyl are analogue and the UK don't? There's no information on the web and in The Kinks website doesn't say nothing. Anyone know something more?

3. I cant imagine them not being cut from the same source as the first four UK were LPs released about 5 weeks before the U.S. set is coming out and the remaining two UK LPs coming out about the exact same time.

beatleswho likes this.
  4. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

You know, he's done quite a bit of work with the Kinks, too... :D

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There is little chance of any version being all analogue - I would be surprised if they are anything other than hi-res transfers of available tapes from Konk. The last vinyl was the record store day coloured (2012) and these avoid the crime of sounding digital. I would expect the 4 titles from this series to be the same as the stereo disc from these mono/stereo sets.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    Neonbeam likes this.
  6. So you believe the man who has been recently packaging the Kinks doesn't know or would say they are analogue when they actually are not ? Seems odd.

I want to know of the UK and US sets are from the same sources.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

In case no one has mentioned it, there will most likely at least be this EP done from analog. Sandoval posted "Back to work: prepping direct from analog to lacquer for vinyl cuts" a few days ago on Facebook. I'll post the pic if I ever figure out how to do it.

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

9. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I know Andrew has done a great deal of work with other artists that Rhino covered. And.. the Kinks had a few Rhino re-releases in the 80s. I should have put it together. I've got two of the Rhino Kinks LPs at home. I'll have to check for the Andrew Sandoval credit. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yes, Andrew has been immersed in the Kinks Katalog for several years now. He has supervised all of the recent deluxe reissues, as well as the 2014 box set.

And yes, he is very well known for his work with the Monkees' music, too.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Maybe he knows more than Andrew. Who knows...........

12. aoxomoxoa

What EP? Your link does not work.

13. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hope they collect the singles and put those out on vinyl reissue too.

rswitzer and atl1 like this.
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It's a picture of the Kinks-Size Session notes. Side A: Louie, Louie, I Gotta Go Now. Side B: I've Got That Feeling, Things Are Getting Better.

15. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

No new on this?

16. aoxomoxoa

Would rather have Kwiet Kinks. Maybe an EP box set is in order ?

cwitt1980 likes this.
  17. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Picked up the Village Green and Arthur reissues at Love Music in Glasgow today (£16.99 each which is £4 cheaper than Amazon) ... VG is perfectly flat and no hairlines which were common on the other reissues I'd initially purchased ... Side 1 is nearing the end of it's first play and I'm happy with it (it's certainly transporting me away from a wet, windy and freezing Scottish night), for instance hearing some accordion licks on 'Riverside' that I'd previously missed ... Great clarity on the percussion on 'Phenomenal Cat' ...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  18. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Are these two stereo or mono? Can you post the deadwax info?

19. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

VG is mono and Arthur is stereo ... I can't make out the deadwood info but I'll look again in the morning under natural light ... if we get any tomorrow!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  20. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Well, given my 50-50 quality rate for new vinyl purchases, I feared that I was pushing my luck ... Arthur has a slight warp and a mark across the first two tracks on side 2 with some surface noise during quieter moments ... However Arthur does indeed rock and I'll be seeking a replacement copy ... my tip for any of the Kinks 50th vinyl reissues would be to check your product before you leave the shop, if you go bricks & mortar ...

21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Thanks!

22. psychedelia

psychedelia The Psychedelic Axolotl

Any idea whether it's from an analogue source or not?

23. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

No idea but as they are from Sanctuary, I'd think they would be digital like their RSD ones ...

24. Well the word is the US editions coming at the end of the month are from analogue, so I can't imagine that they would release new digital versions in the UK only one month before those? Of course stranger things have happened.

25. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Thanks - I'll trust your instinct and hope for you that you have better QC Stateside :)