Kinks 'Where Did The Spring Go?' Klaus Voormann animation reconstruction

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

In early 1969, Ray Davies and The Kinks were commissioned to write and record 5 songs on the subject of the vagaries of relationships for Eleanor Bron and John Fortune's satirical BBC2 colour TV show 'Where Was Spring?'. The exclusive songs were accompanied on broadcast by animations created by 'Revolver' cover artist, bassist and Beatles friend Klaus Voorman. None of the editions of 'Where Was Spring?' are known to survive, but by matching up the audio of the Kinks recording with the relevant Voormann illustrations that were reproduced in the booklet for the 'Kinks at the BBC' box set and bunging it through the industry standard creative suite Windows Movie Maker, this is my attempt at recreating the first 30 seconds or so of what the animation may have looked like. No great shakes but thought it may be of interest to some Kinks fanatics here.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

On a related note, Dave Emlen of The Kinks Unofficial website just alerted me to the fact that Klaus has a photo of further cels from the animations on his site, including images from what are probably the missing songs:

[​IMG]

3. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Its the best we're probably going to get. Well done. It's interesting to guess what song titles match the cells but still all very frustrating

tages and ajsmith like this.
  4. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

bump

ajsmith likes this.
  5. tages

tages Senior Member

Fantastic! Well done. I've give anything for a time machine to see this programme in real time.

Here's hoping a better copy of this song turns up someday (as well as "We Are Two of a Kind" and "Let's Take Off Our Clothes").

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.